Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 23:41   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Renting Boat as Liveaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdreams View Post
Hi nimblemotors, were you able to find out any info about your marina's rules and regs concerning renting? My boyfriend and I are very curious to learn if livingaboard as short term (1-3 months) renters is even a possibility. We'd ideally like to find someone that willing to rent a motor yacht for a month or so. We want some idea of what the lifestyle would be like before committing to a boat purchase. Know of anyone in the market?
There is your market right there....not some Craigslist Ad but someone looking/thinking about living aboard or cruising themselves that wants to see what it is like. According tothe Marina, they are just your friends down using the boat!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:30   #32

I also came across this thread looking to 'rent' as a liveaboard in the SF Bay Area. I've been a homeowner and two businesses here for over 25 years. I'm looking to downsize my life and re-locate to the South Pacific. I'd love to purchase a boat and or charter and sail there. This would be an opportunity to learn what is involved, get to know community, while I wrap up details here in the East Bay over the course of the year. I'd be leasing my home or using Airbnb. There are great people like us out there who are legitimate who are looking to meet and learn about this opportunity. I'd appreciate any leads on a liveaboard situation as a result!
maimiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:52   #33

One thing you haven't considered yet. What kind of eviction process would be required if your renters turn out to be just another Richardson Bay anchor out. My apologies in advance to the two or three not on drugs, into stealing, free chow from local churches and hanging out in Dumphy Park in lieu of looking for and holding onto a job. "A place for everyone" (free) only goes so far and at who elses expense?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 14:28   #34

A few things- I'm posting as a 'rentee' NOT a 'rentor'.
And... I'm also a Landlord, who vets her tenants carefully, does credit/background/reference checks (if necessary) and asks for a HUGE DEPOSIT. I also rent my home on Airbnb. I've always had good luck, or been able to manage a situation that didn't work before problems ensued.
There are good people out there, looking for this opportunity, with legitimate plans and desires that coincide with the 'rentor's'. (See original post).
Yes, and then there is always the Harbormaster, I'm sure, who wants to oversee the well being (one would hope) of the Marina Community. I think it depends on which way you want to point your compass. I'm not sure your response is actually helpful or informative. Perhaps information about insurance, Marina regulations for liveaboards, a rental agreement would be more helpful. I'm a Bounty descendent of Fletcher Christian who has always wanted to 'sail home'. There are those of us out there who have been, and are preparing our lives for this.
maimiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 17:01   #35

I live in Hawaii, and not too sure about other locations, but I know several people in my community who rent out their boats and others who have rented them in place of apartment living and absolutely love it. I myself am looking for something like that at the moment. There is a lot of interest in that type of arrangement due to people living in that area as a holiday or half the year type thing. For owners, it makes sense in that they have someone paying their fees and caring for the vessel while they're away and the renter has the opportunity to experience a lifestyle that they may otherwise not be able to. As far as being sure you don't have someone who's going to wreck it, it's the same as renting out a condo or home...you just have to take the appropriate measures to know who you're renting to and feel comfortable with it. The interest is most certainly there, just not much availability and such opportunities tend to disappear quick! So from your standpoint, I believe that would be a good thing
SailorJenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 16:31   #36

I live in Southern California I am looking for a boat to rent to live. do you have any ideas on how I could go about this. I am willing to maintain and upkeep the boat. If there is a way to do this I would love to hear about it.

happy sailing
Scott
fausneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 16:42   #37

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Consider this: https://www.airbnb.com

Fair Winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 16:47   #38

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I believe it a sound policy to limit the extent of liveaboards. Otherwise, marinas can turn into low-income housing projects and reduce availability for boaters who wish to operate. Marinas here limit liveaboards to 10 percent and some require evidence of legal pumpouts. The better ones require boats to operate away from the marina periodically.
Old 25-01-2017, 03:05   #39

Try Airbnb
skippergreekisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, paracelle, renting