Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 05:59   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Boat costs

Attached are 4 years of boat ownership costs (not counting payments). It occurs to me that if I hadn't spent the last 7 years sailing and had saved the money it has cost to have what currently is a hobby that I could be out cruising now instead.

How much is your boat costing you? Do you even know?
Attached Files
File Type: xls Rubber Ducky expensives.xls (57.0 KB, 337 views)
Old 06-01-2015, 06:08   #2
cruiser

Re: Boat costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Attached are 4 years of boat ownership costs (not counting payments). It occurs to me that if I hadn't spent the last 7 years sailing and had saved the money it has cost to have what currently is a hobby that I could be out cruising now instead.

What I don't know or understand is why you keep starting threads with the same financial theme over and over again and exposing your personal finances to the world?

There's more to boat ownership than the cost, ongoing expense, residual value etc. etc. It's all about lifestyle, meeting new people, having fun and exploring new places.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:13   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
What I don't know or understand is why you keep starting threads with the same financial theme over and over again?
Well why do you keep reading them?

I post stuff that were among what I came to CF looking for answers for when I was interested in getting into boats.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:16   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Well why do you keep reading them?
They involve a Hunter.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:18   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
They involve a Hunter.

Mark
must be all the documented problems in the spreadsheet that indicates just how the Hunter name is costing extra
Old 06-01-2015, 06:20   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:

I don't understand - if you didn't have the boat and the expenses, how would you be out cruising now without a boat and the expenses?

Or did you mean that you could have just bought a boat now and gone with the ongoing expenses? If this, that isn't a good idea - it is very good to know your boat well before taking off.

We know exactly how much our boat is costing us, but we also know exactly what we would be missing without it. Those don't always balance well for some, and we meet many people each year who drop out because of this. Many of those did not own the boat long before leaving.

BTW, when you do leave, the dockage and storage payments go away!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:30   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't understand - if you didn't have the boat and the expenses, how would you be out cruising now without a boat and the expenses?
If I had saved the money to operate and maintain my boats over the past 7 years (had a 39' before my current boat) and just put the payments into savings; I could buy the same boat this year but have the 7 years of costs in the bank.

We like sailing, but didn't really get into sailing to be sailors. I got the boat early to "learn" how to sail, and to be sure we liked it enough, before heading out cruising. 7 years later I realize the sailing is easy and could just as well be learned day hopping down the coast.

The lesson to me is that if one plans to get a boat and go cruising off, don't get a boat before hand unless you really want to sail as it just takes money out of the cruising kitty.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:35   #8

Boat: Hunter 450

Minus storage & marina costs, his 4 year annual average for all other costs is ~$6k per year.
engine1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:36   #9

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I've been told that if it flies, floats or fornicates it will be cheaper to rent than to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Boat costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
I've been told that if it flies, floats or fornicates it will be cheaper to rent than to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

May be less expensive but your experience will be temporary plus constantly variable...never quite the same and sometimes quite a lot less than what you expected.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote