Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2009, 08:22   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Trucker Bent Furling

I had my Rawson 30 Pilothouse moved from New York to California. I researched truck companies and came up with one that had shining reviews and a decent price to ship. He guaranteed me he knew his stuff and would take great care at checking that everything was loaded properly before the trip. When I received it a week later the foil of the furling was bent at the drum. He still refuses to give me the name of his insurance carrier but reluctantly wanted a quote for the damage. He said if it was a couple of hundred bucks he would pay for it. I will get a quote but I know it will be well over that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller furling non supported.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	7824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trust-4-09 016.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	7825  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trust-4-09 017.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	7826  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 10:04   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
if he was an independant trucker he probably doesn't want his annual premium to go up because of tiny little claim (??!!) so he's probably keeping his insurance for the big crash. You have the name of the trucking company from the paperwork and the door of the truck. The PUC requires trucking companies to keep their insurance information on file along with their carrier or DOT number (since he was interstate) so you can find that info easily with a phone call.
He'll probably go "out of pocket" for up to $1000 if he can just to keep his prem steady.
Just a thought.
sorry to hear about that damage. bummer.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:16   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Get an honest qoute and give him the chance to make good personally. You should have all the pertinent info on him, his truck and company. It sucks, but accidents do happen.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 19:35   #4

Thank you cdennyb...good advice. Tellie...I am getting a quote from the local rigger. I've used him in the past and has been in business over 20 years. Like I said before...he wants to settle for a few hundred. The parts would be at least that. I'll keep you posted what happens...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 15-04-2009, 22:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We just finished some repairs on our Profurl unit. As part of the repairs we quoted several items. The drums (upper and lower) were in the $300 range. The forestay (5mm) and fittings was in the $200 range. The entire new unit was around $1200.

We didn't quote the foils. It's hard to tell what's bent on yours. Our foils are sectional so we could replace just the bent one.

On our unit, removing the drum made the forestay impossible to reinstall so we ended up buying a new forestay. Don't forget to think about parts that will have to be replaced as part of replacing the foil.

YMMV...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 22:45   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I agree with what cdennyb said, and as a last resort you could go to small claims court. Keep all of your documentation.

Sometimes in a situation like this the person responsible will resist paying, because they think that the money is not going to be spent to fix the problem that they caused...just go into your pocket. It shouldn't matter to that person where the money is going, but some how it does, and leaves a bad taste in their mouth. In a case like this suggesting that he make the check out to the company that is going to fix the problem (not you), will make the bad medicine easy to swallow.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 23:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I agree with what cdennyb said, and as a last resort you could go to small claims court. Keep all of your documentation.

Sometimes in a situation like this the person responsible will resist paying, because they think that the money is not going to be spent to fix the problem that they caused...just go into your pocket. It shouldn't matter to that person where the money is going, but some how it does, and leaves a bad taste in their mouth. In a case like this suggesting that he make the check out to the company that is going to fix the problem (not you), will make the bad medicine easy to swallow.
Thanks jiffy...I know people think like that some times but honestly what use would pocketing the $$$ when the roller furling is unusable. In a sense i feel for these guys bidding low to get a job and having this happen. However, a little common sense on his part by putting a length of 2x4 under the furling or even carrying the furling in the rack he made himself on the side of the trailer would have taken him a matter of minutes.
Old 19-04-2009, 10:35   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thanks jiffy...I know people think like that some times but honestly what use would pocketing the $$$ when the roller furling is unusable. In a sense i feel for these guys bidding low to get a job and having this happen. However, a little common sense on his part by putting a length of 2x4 under the furling or even carrying the furling in the rack he made himself on the side of the trailer would have taken him a matter of minutes.
I totally agree.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 00:36   #9

Received a call from the rigger today. Told me the Furlex units are expensive and for him to do the repairs, just under $1000. I have a feeling the trucker is going to give me grief on this one. Soon as I get the quote through e-mail and forward it to the trucker, I'll let you know what happens.
Old 25-04-2009, 11:47   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I hope it works out with you and the trucker. It was his mistake so he certainly should pay.
J
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 18:32   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Motor Cruiser
All Motor Carriers, fleets or independents have very specific insurance requirements, and none are foolish enough to evade those rules. They can, however, insure with "high deductibles"....and this is where the catch will be. But, also, since you have not mentioned the name of the carrier, it is hard to tell if you are dealing with an Owner Operator leased to a carrier, a true independent O/O, or a company driver.... in the case of the first and third, the problem may be that he has had some other damage reports on him and he is on a short leash with the company, and where the independent is concerned...he may not want his insurer to know about it, because even if he reports the problem and the amount of the claim is within his deductible, the insurer will most probably increase his premiums.

There are several ways to collect for the damages.... But one question that may be raised in the interim: Were pictures taken of the entire boat and its load rigging for security.....just prior to it departing on the trip? In other words, do you have absolute photographic proof that the furler parts were "undamaged" at the time of transport?

Yes, I work in the transportation industry, though not in vessel hauling, but I am familiar with the "drill" as far as documenting damage claims. I guess what I am saying...is that if you do not have a composite set of pictures, showing the boat on the trailer and all of its components condition on the date of shipment....and the damage on the date of arrival...then you are in a position of having to "negotiate". If you do not have proof, then you will be fighting an uphill battle. If you have the pictures, the ball is in your court. BOL!
Old 03-05-2009, 20:01   #12

Thank you Just a Tinch for chiming in...No I do not have before shipping photos. I am willing to settle with this guy if he'd ever return my calls. He is an owner operator and I will disclose his name here when I have some form of settlement.
Never having had to deal with this before, I will call him tomorrow...again and if no return call, I will call back Tuesday and leave him a message that he has 2 days to respond or I will contact the DOT for his insurance information and hopefully he will deal with this or hopefully DOT will have his insurance info. Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
I had problems with the broker too on a different issue. I've never seen a deal like this go so far south before. I've never had to deal with this sort of thing before. I guess it was just my turn.
Old 03-05-2009, 21:39   #13

Boat: Boatless
SAFER Web - Company Snapshot

Try this link to find out whatever you need to know about the trucking company, including his insurance company, you can look him up by name.

I like Tellie's advice...
SaltSeaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 22:27   #14

Thank you SSS...I had found that information by googling their name. What it does not list unfortunately is their Insurance carriers name. Again...thanx
Old 04-05-2009, 05:40   #15

Boat: Boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thank you SSS...I had found that information by googling their name. What it does not list unfortunately is their Insurance carriers name. Again...thanx

On the snapshot page there is a blue box with safety and licensing & insurance

Click Licensing and Insurance
Click view details (HTML)

At bottom of page you can choose active/pending insurance, insurance history etc.

This will give you the name of his liability insurance and his cargo policy holder
SaltSeaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling