Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 08:43   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
re: Sailing Boat Engine Bilge Blower??? Use???

I have a flange-mounted bilge blower built into my Beneteau, and the prices for the Jabsco replacement are shocking--about 6 times what an in-line blower costs. I was able to find a non-Jabsco replacement in the Med for a whole lot less, otherwise I was planning to rip out the blower cage and install an in-line blower in the hose just upstream.

I now have a spare blower, because what usually happens is the bearings seize, and can be disassembled and lubricated. About every two years I swap out the blower and relubricate.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:17   #17

Re: Sailing Boat Engine Bilge Blower??? Use???

Many of my boats have had them. Keeping the engine room fresh is a good idea and it is amazing how hot the whole aft end of the boat stays after a long motor. In 40 years only had to replace one fan. Maybe you are just getting unlucky with the fans... are you sure about 12 amps? seems like a lot... Is the fan getting wet from water ingress somehow? You could put it on a separate switch so you could turn it on if motoring long or let it run a few minutes after motoring to remove the heat in southern lattitudes...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:21   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I don't think that engine compartment blowers are unusual on sailboats. I think that, as someone suggested, you would nearly always find them where you have a sealed engine compartment.

My boat has one -- but it does not run continuously. It is thermostatically controlled. The engine is in a tightly sealed soundproof compartment, so one can imagine that the heat needs to go somewhere.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 10:35   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I installed an exhaust blower for cooling the engine compartment after replacing the OEM alternator with a 210 amp model. I had it on a manual switch so I could turn it on when needed, which was most of the time in the Tropics.
Old 27-12-2011, 11:31   #20

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

As a few other posters have indicated, the engine blower on diesel engines is for a different purpose than gas engines. Gas engines need to have the (heavier than air) volatile fumes vented before starting the engine. On diesels, it's a matter of getting rid of heat. So the hose goes to the bottom of the engine space on a gas engine, and vents from the top of a diesel engine. Also remember that alternators are affected by heat, so dissipating heat from the engine compartment can make your alt work more efficiently, and also last longer.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 11:45   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Wow, it pays to shop around. I didn't compare the prices on those two URL's that I posted until just now. The 10,000 hr. unit at Hodges Marine is listed at ~100. cheaper than the 5,000 hr unit at iBoats.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 12:38   #22

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oddyssey 37 ft 2002

Hi,
The ventilation pipes are standard for 37 ft Jeanneau's. Mine is a Sun Odyssey 2002. It is for cooling the engine cabin. A thermostate is connected to the system which closes the circuit when the heat is over 50 degrees C and the fan starts to work. It is to decrease the reflected heat outside the engine cabin which should be taken into consideration in hot climate. I advice you to keep it. We realised that it was really helping when the fan had a brakedown. The aft cabin get hotter than usual in the Med. Check for the thermostate which is located mostly in front of the fan. Probably your's is out of order and the fan is connected directly.
Idle
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 16:14   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft

Thanks a lot for all your interesting returns!
So indeed it seems to be a standard installation.
I will try to dismantle that Jabsco blower and check the DC motor, and I hope I will be able to repair it since it costed about € 200.
It can only have about 250-300 hours of running time so it is not normal it DOA.
I think this happened last June when we were motoring for 10 hours on a night crossing of the English channel.

I will rewire it to a dedicated switch so I can use it with hot outside temperatures,, on long motoring stretches and 10-15 minutes after motoring to extract hot air and engine smell.

Happy new year, and good winds for you all in 2012!

Jan
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:58   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

The answer to your question on "why do I need a blower is here

Marine Engines: Sail Boat Auxiliaries at Dockside Reports
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07   #25

Boat: Jeanneua 36

i have bene411 and it has the same set up .iv not replaced the plowers now for some 2000hrs running ,dosnt effect running temp.(colder temp. down here thoughi wouldnt worry to mush about it though.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
The answer to your question on "why do I need a blower is here

Marine Engines: Sail Boat Auxiliaries at Dockside Reports
Thanks! This was reassuring again!

So I will rebuild it - but switchable on demand, to be used on long motoring stretches or when it is really hot outside.
And I have to be sure this - not really cheap - Jabsco blower is DOA or can be brought "back to life" and can ensure at least 2000 hours.

Jan
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also, some earlier discussions:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...wer-42656.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-37561-2.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35   #28

Many thanks Gordon!

Jan

Tags
bilge, engine, sailing