Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 05:00   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Far East Sails

Hi tom davidson, & welcome!
I surely do hope that you get things worked out okay with your order. As I'd Hate for you to lose that kind of coin.

On the subject of ordering/taking recipt of new sails. Since thay are a high dollar item, which (hopefully) we'll have for a long time, I have a a request please.

When you're giving feedback on these seails, could you please include as much key data as possible. So that follow on buyers have a better idea of what you purchased, sail wise, & what kind of service & loads that it'll see.

Specifically, such data as;
- Sail Dimentions
- Boat's Rig Dimensions
- Cloth Weight
- Cloth Type
- Sail Finish Type, if Applicable
- Mounting/Attachment Hardware of Note
- Cut Type, & Layout Pattern of the Sail's Panels
- Boat Size, & Type (plus Righting Moment, if you know it)
- Sail's usable Wind Range, as Specified by Sail Maker
- Stitching Quality, & Number of Rows of Stitching
- Ditto the above, Regarding Handwork
- Attention to Detail on Key Features, like; Tacks, Clews, Reef Pointts, Batten Pockets, etc.
- Other key features that the sail had, or didn't, of note.
For instance; # of Reefs, Special Leech Cord Setups, # of Battens & Design of Batten Pockets, etc. (Meaning; Integral, Glue On, Seperate Stitch on Type, or Other)
- Service Life of the sail/How it's aging (gracefully, or otherwise)
- Evaluation of Customer Service of the Loft
- Cost
- Warranty. And quality of Warranty Service, if Needed
- Time spent by Sailmaker, Fitting/Testing out Sail on Your Vessel (if applicable).
- Anything else Of Note, which I've Forgotten

I ask the above as, If one does a search, with the topic being along the lines of folks buying sails. Many/most of the key questions & features (above) can be dug up... if, one uses a Lot of diligence.
It's just that it takes a while in order to assemble that kind of information, if in fact you can, even with PM's to the sail purchasers in question, with such queries.

And each loft has differing levels of, & styles of, fitting out... for each type of sail; main, light genoa, furling genny, heavy canvas, kites, etc. With, of course, the "Devil" (quality of the resulting sails), being in the details. --> Ergo my (abridged) checklist, above.

As, believe me, a quality loft will/can give you a list of choices & decisions to make about your next main or jib, which is literally, 2+ pages long (single spaced). And it definitely PAYS to work with such people.
For they're of the sort who come down to your boat & measure EVERYTHING. And then once the sails are made, they bring them down to your boat, to test fit them with you. And likely even go for a sail too, camera in hand. In order to see that they're up to snuff, & or if then still need a bit of TLC, or a small nip & tuck.
- All of which adds up to Quality sails, which Last, & hold their shape for far, far longer.

So... the more details which you can give us about your new canvas (or Mylar), the better. Ditto on any thumbs up, & or, dirt on the loft.

Thanks!

PS: Also, if you could be kind enough to give us an abridged version of your sailing history, in your eval, so that we know how "calibrated & discerning" your eyeball is too, that would be Real helpful.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:38   #17

I too have an order in with far east sails. Communication was great until I made my final payment on march 31, since then I have not been able to get a peep out of them. I used amex and have disputed the charges until this gets sorted out.
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:51   #18

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

4 day holiday in HK starting 1/4 and lots of businesses still closed

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:58   #19

I hope that is the case.. but still an awful way to do business
Old 10-04-2016, 16:39   #20

Dear Customers,

I would like to inform you about Brad.

Brad is missing at sea, and we are trying to find him. You can see the link below.

Coast Guard searching for missing man near Pensacola | Coast Guard News

As you know we are a family business, and we are reorganizing to continue our business.

We would like to continue our business relationship with you.

I know that many of you are missing your orders, layouts, shipping, and deposits.

We are working on this, and getting everything reorganized.

We apologize for this delay.

This is a difficult time for our family, we are doing our best.

I would like to thank you for your understanding. And we will keep in contract.

Sincerely,

Melissa and Michael
tom davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:39   #21

Thanks for postng this tom.did you get this through emai?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:47   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Far East Sails

Here's hoping that 'Brad' is found soon.. Safe and well as possible..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:20   #23

Yes via email. my thoughts go out to the famirly. Ill update the issue as it progresses. cheers Tom
Old 12-04-2016, 07:15   #24

I got the same email yesterday after I asked them to please contact me. I found out through news sources that The coast guard search has been suspended and a man has been arrested in louisiana attempting to use brad gunthers passport to get a drivers license in his name. His credit cards have also been used by this person. Looks bad
Old 02-05-2016, 19:53   #25

hi all

Just thought I would let you know that my sale has apparently left Hong Kong and is on its way to Australia? Below is some further information about one of the directors of Far East sales who has been murdered whilst living on his boat. Thought you might be interested
Cheers Tom

Death penalty sought in boater's murder
Kevin Robinson, krobinson4@pnj.com 5:48 p.m. CDT April 22, 2016
Rodgers.jpg
(Photo: Special to the News Jouranl)
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
Local officials announced Friday that a Milton man will be charged with murder in the death and disappearance of an Alabama boater.

In a press conference, Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan said that investigators would be serving a homicide warrant to 36-year-old Michael Paul Rodgers, who is jailed in Louisiana on fraud and theft charges. Rodgers was arrested in Jefferson Parrish, Louisiana, after allegedly trying to assume the identity of a missing Gulf Shores man, 62-year-old James Gunther.

Morgan said Rodgers was charged based on that connection and other evidence. State Attorney Bill Eddins said that his office would seek the death penalty based on Rodgers' criminal history, which includes rape and robbery convictions.
Old 28-05-2016, 07:24   #26

I'm sorry to hear about Brad, and suspect that tragedy was evolving as I was trying to find a sail maker and stumbled upon Far East Sails.

As of a few weeks ago we need a new foresail, and have been interested in ordering one from Far East Sails. Communications with them has been very difficult, with as many as 4 days between email responses that are incomplete. Does anyone know if they are still doing business with new customers? Did all who discussed problems here get their sails?

Thanks,
rhsmith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 09:04   #27

I sent you a pm regarding this hope it helps
Old 28-05-2016, 10:41   #28

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Sorry to hear this.
Far East made me a working jib for Bluestocking 9 months back.
On time, lower price than quoted Hong Kong/ Bermuda.
A good sail.
Old 16-11-2017, 05:30   #29

Hi

Last month I ordered a spinacker from Far East Sails. Production was swift and I was told the sail was ready for shipping so I made the balance payment 9th December....and have not heard anything since!!! I don't know if the sail was actually sent and don't have the tracking number (I already wrote 3 times to get the shopping info...byt no reply) to check what's the status.

Anyone facing the same / a similar situation? What do you advise?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Damien
sailing boat Tamm Ha Tamm
Tamm Ha Tamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 03:16   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Damien.

Please let us know what ultimately transpires.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote