Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2024, 12:59   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Yacht Burned to Water Line in Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I'm surprised the fireys manage to contain the blaze to the extent they did.
I was surprised that the bilge pumps were still working, too. Wonder what happened?

Ann
Old 15-03-2024, 13:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I can remember this happening at my marina some years ago.

An unattended power boat.

For reasons nobody knew, black smoke start to emanate from any orifice it could find, that just happened to be noticed by a boater down the dock aways, by pure chance.

Naturally, 911 was called immediately, but in the few minutes for them to arrive, the boat was burning from stem to stern and a thick black cloud of smoke was all one could see of it.
The FD and the marina staff tried to subdue the flames, but their efforts were in vain.

My best guess is that the boat burned to the waterline in 5 minutes or so, as it was extremely quick.

Had the boat been occupied, it is doubtful anyone could have escaped that inferno.

Neighboring boats took a beating as well. Fiberglass, for all it's wonderful properties can burn like the dickens.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 14:44   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I was surprised that the bilge pumps were still working, too. Wonder what happened?

Ann
Yes, I noticed that too. Looks like the fire was concentrated towards the aft end and I guess was in the upper section of the cabin area. My guess it was mostly plywood which AFAIK, burns slower than fibreglass.

If the boat was maintained in the same condition as the deck chairs, maybe the bilge pumps were getting a workout - daily!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 15:02   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. Looks like the fire was concentrated towards the aft end and I guess was in the upper section of the cabin area. My guess it was mostly plywood which AFAIK, burns slower than fibreglass.

If the boat was maintained in the same condition as the deck chairs, maybe the bilge pumps were getting a workout - daily!
Maybe a health issue there, not able to come down to the boat for some reason. Sad pic.

Ann
Old 15-03-2024, 15:26   #20

“Burned to the waterline” is a bit of stretch!
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 19:09   #21

As a volunteer boat inspector for my yacht club, this situation is exactly what we/I am trying to prevent.
We have marina regulations for insurance, fuel systems, wiring and breakers for AC/DC, bilge pumps, fire extinguishers, mooring lines, shore power cables and general boat condition.
Boats inspected as they come in to the marina and then 3 yearly thereafter or when they change ownership.
We still have sinkings and fires and pollution, but rarely.
I think the NZ private marina is an example of something that was not well run. If you are putting your boat into a marina, I would think twice if they ask no questions of you or your boat.
Unicorn183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 01:04   #22

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

We were ther for several weeks in February. We left there 28 February. We were asked for our liability insurance. We found the Yacht Club/Marina staff helpful and friendly, this is actually 2 marinas, one owned by the YC, the other by its users/members, I think both managed by the same team. This is a small town and the marina reflects this. We loved it!

What is the source of the idea they are lax in requiring this, or in anything else?

What was the cause of the fire? Why the suggestions of an electric source?
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht, water