Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2013, 07:19   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Where to buy Scopolamine patches

Glenn-
Actually there are two purposes to "try them at home". Do you have Tupperware or Avon or Mary Kay down there? You can have a "scop party" instead.<G> Kidding.

But really, since motion sickness is partly a case of mind-over-matter and tension/anxiety apparently can make it worse, it is good to know ahead of time that a cotton-mouth feeling, or sensitivity to light (your pupils may dilate out), are normal responses to scop, and not "uh-oh I'm having a drug reaction" to fret about.

If there's a lot of ginger in the pills, a slight ruddy coloring on the skin could be normal too. That's what ginger does, open up the capillaries to get more oxygen moving around the body.

"Hey, come on over Saturday, we're having a barbeque and recreational drug party!" <G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 17:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Glenn-
Actually there are two purposes to "try them at home". Do you have Tupperware or Avon or Mary Kay down there? You can have a "scop party" instead.<G> Kidding.

But really, since motion sickness is partly a case of mind-over-matter and tension/anxiety apparently can make it worse, it is good to know ahead of time that a cotton-mouth feeling, or sensitivity to light (your pupils may dilate out), are normal responses to scop, and not "uh-oh I'm having a drug reaction" to fret about.

If there's a lot of ginger in the pills, a slight ruddy coloring on the skin could be normal too. That's what ginger does, open up the capillaries to get more oxygen moving around the body.

"Hey, come on over Saturday, we're having a barbeque and recreational drug party!" <G>
Just heard, DEA are planning an Op in your area Saturday

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 07:05   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well of course they are, Simon! They know we always throw a couple of extra steaks on the grill for their dogs. Not many people do that!
Old 18-05-2013, 05:42   #34

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post

Thanks for your concern, I'm going to buy the pills from bovacompounding, but like you said I will try them on land before we leave.
Ok, so now I have them, crew and I will try them tomorrow on land. I'll report back on any side effects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1899650363.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	60938  

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 21:44   #35

Quote:

Ok, so now I have them, crew and I will try them tomorrow on land. I'll report back on any side effects.
6 hours into trial, very happy no drowsiness, no dry mouth, no hallucinations. I've been doing boat jobs all day, there seems to be no noticeable effect.

Lets hope they stop seasickness, this time in 2 weeks I'll have the answer to that. Crew trying them later in the week.

Old 18-05-2013, 22:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well of course they are, Simon! They know we always throw a couple of extra steaks on the grill for their dogs. Not many people do that!
Your good citizen patch is in the mail...

My dogs will be by next week...med rare ...lmao
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 09:07   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, you've got to have synmpathy for the poor exploited dogs. "Go find the drugs boy! Good boy! Uh, no, you can't have any of them." Now that's just plain mean. <G>

Glenn, if you didn't experience any side effects, that's great. But do bear in mind the Bova compound is maybe half the usual clinical dosage of scop, so if it "doesn't work" on the boat at sea, think about taking a second pill and bringing the dose up to the norm.
Old 19-05-2013, 20:08   #38

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
6 hours into trial, very happy no drowsiness, no dry mouth, no hallucinations. I've been doing boat jobs all day, there seems to be no noticeable effect.
Good to hear you had a successful trial and I will be interested to hear the results when you try them at sea and see if you have the same positive results as GypsyHawk. I also bought some of these.

We were trying out the scopolamine patches at the same time you were doing your trial. I'm pleased to report that for us at least, the side effects were absolutely minimal.

My partner went first and could not be sure if there were side effects or imagination. It seemed to have a slightly relaxing effect and she thought there could have been a little light headedness after a couple of hours, but that was it. We went for a drive after 5 hours, and she tried reading while I drove .... and I chose a bumpy road. This would normally be a sure thing to bring on nausea for her, but this time it did not.

After 6 hours we swapped and I wore the same patch. (Yes, I know it is not recommended and 6 hours may not be long enough.)

For me, the side effects were a little more noticeable, but still mild and of no consequence. I got the same relaxation and light headed feeling after a couple of hours, and by 4-5 hours a slight muzziness, slightly flushed face and dryness in the eyes. I would describe the level of side effects as minor as the way I feel after having driven a car for 2-3 hours, or perhaps popping an antistamine tablet.

So for us, the side effects issue is a storm in a teacup. The real test will be at sea in a few weeks. So far the patches get the thumbs up.
Old 20-05-2013, 06:23   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"could not be sure if there were side effects or imagination."
WHich is the reason for a land trial.

" It seemed to have a slightly relaxing effect "
Which is why scop was pulled from the US OTC market some 20-30 years ago, because it was being mixed into a date rape cocktail with another product.
Old 03-06-2013, 23:57   #40

The Bovacompounding tablets were a success, my crew is usually sick 2 hours into the trip, today with a tablet she was up and helping, saying she felt great. I don't get sick day sailing, only at night so I'm yet to try. Overall definitely worth trying.

Old 01-07-2013, 18:10   #41

Had my 1st night sail trying the BOVA compounding tablets I have to say they are a complete success. So I would definitely recommend them.

Old 01-07-2013, 19:56   #42

Boat: Mariner 39

We had a 3 day passage from Maine to Shelbourne, Nova Scotia in which most of the crew were pretty uncomfortable every 6 hours from the tide running against the prevailing seas. We had ginger and wrist bands that just didn’t do it. Once we arrived in Nova Scotia, we were able to purchase scopolamine over the counter at a great price. We never had a problem since. Scopolamine is available with a prescription in the USA at 5 or 10 times what we paid in Canada. I haven’t tried Sturgeons but a lot of sailors swear by it.

We only were the Scopolamine patches on longer passages and crossing where we know the weather might get rough or that we might end up in the engine room fixing a problem, which is never pleasant in with rough seas.

I believe Scopolamine was originally banned in the US because user were not reading the instructions. I had heard that some users had cut the patches in half to save money but in doing so exposed themselves, and other, to the time-releases drug which can cause hallucinations. We are always careful to follow the instructions which includes washing your hands after putting the patch on and properly disposing of the packaging.
ashmun is offline   Reply With Quote