Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2020, 21:41   #91

Boat: Marcos 39 - 45'
Re: Killing mold for good?

Borax works to. Clean it off and then spay a solution of borax on the surface.
pelagic4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 08:48   #92

Boat: Columbia 10.7

I have used Borax with the other ingredients listed earlier. In most places where I washed the surface with this solution no mold has regrown. However, mold has appeared in other areas.

A month ago I purchased a dehumidifier and set it up to run continuously and drain into the sink. It has dramatically reduced the humidity levels inside the boat. Using a moisture meter I am recording levels around the deck where I had leaks previously.

When I started, the moisture levels in some areas were over 60%. I opened the deck in one place and there was liquid water sloshing around in there. I scraped out the rotten wood and replaced the core and deck. Since that time while running the dehumidifier the moisture levels have declined 10-20% in most places.

I've sealed up several known leaks and am on the lookout for others. Before, when I opened the hatch on a sunny day the inside of the boat felt like a steam sauna, very humid. Now, when I open the hatch the boat feels much drier and most of the mildew odor is gone.

Although the cleaning solution is important, eliminating excess moisture is more important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dehumidifier.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	219767  
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 08:59   #93

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I have used Borax with the other ingredients listed earlier. In most places where I washed the surface with this solution no mold has regrown. However, mold has appeared in other areas.

A month ago I purchased a dehumidifier and set it up to run continuously and drain into the sink. It has dramatically reduced the humidity levels inside the boat. Using a moisture meter I am recording levels around the deck where I had leaks previously.

When I started, the moisture levels in some areas were over 60%. I opened the deck in one place and there was liquid water sloshing around in there. I scraped out the rotten wood and replaced the core and deck. Since that time while running the dehumidifier the moisture levels have declined 10-20% in most places.

I've sealed up several known leaks and am on the lookout for others. Before, when I opened the hatch on a sunny day the inside of the boat felt like a steam sauna, very humid. Now, when I open the hatch the boat feels much drier and most of the mildew odor is gone.

Although the cleaning solution is important, eliminating excess moisture is more important.

That's because as my post said... Borax is the only thing that stops mold from growing. It's poison for mold.

Despite all the various opinions on what works to kill mold, nothing does except borax. The other stuff is just cleaning it. It'll grow back.

A borax film left behind will prevent mold from growing. Always.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 10:37   #94

Boat: 42' Chung Wua Trawler

I have had excellent success with Tea Tree oil. After you clean just rub the surfaces down with the oil. It lingers a very long time and mold will not regrow. A while back when I had a big leak in my house the professional mitigator used it to prevent mold growth. I like the smell too.
cpisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 12:15   #95

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I had the overflow drain on a car AC plug. The carpet grew some nice hairy white stuff from the water overflow. A spray bottle of water with a few drops of iodine made it disappear as I watched.
I guess there are more types of mold.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 05:02   #96

I have had great luck with basic bleach and water with simple a bit of Simple Green or Dawn to cut oils. But for absolute effect Concrobium (correct spelling) really kicks it and is effective as a preventative once things are clean.I will not hurt upholstery.
However non of this will have long tern effect if you do not improve ventilation of the cabin and bilge with fans and or passive vents.

Also I confirm Borax is effective....it crushes the cell walls of the mold.
Seacod is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, mold