Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 05:03   #1

Insurance Cover for Leukaemia ? Can You Help ?

Hi,

My partner and I live aboard and are in France at the moment. I have been trying for ages to find a company that will give me medical insurance for my Leukaemia (CML) whilst abroad and on a yacht. We wanted to spend a year here this year but I have now found out that you can only spend up to six months out of the UK a year to be able to qualify for free NHS care so I am having to come back to the UK for a coupleof months to keep up my qualification this year as I am dependent on very expensive drugss (Glivec) which I can only get free of charge in the UK at the moment. I was hoping to find a company that would be able to cover the cost of these drugs whilst in France or elsewhere in Europe for a year or more.

Has anyone else out there sailing abroad for more than six months managed to get cover for their Leukaemia or similar illness? If so, can you let me know the name of that insurance company please.

Thanks,

Louise
Mippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 07:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Insurance Cover for Leukaemia ? Can You Help ?

Google: insurance Leukaemia - Google Search

Good luck.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 15:28   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Insurance Cover for Leukaemia ? Can You Help ?

G'Day Louise,

I'm sorry for your problem, but really, what you are asking for is not insurance but a charity. Why would an insurer want to take you on, KNOWING that your drug costs would far exceed your premiums? I'm no big fan of the med insurance business, but I think that i am on their side in this case.

Looks to me like you will have to maintain access to the tax supported national health system... and be damn glad to have it! We have had to return to the USA for serious medical issues since MEdicare does not cover one whilst out of the country.

One of the aspects of cruising that they don't tell you about at the boat show!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
insurance