Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 15:01   #1

Boat: Halcyon Clipper, 8.23m (27'0"), "NOMAD"
Inflatable Jonbuoy or telescopic Danbuoy?

Inflatable Jonbuoy or telescopic Danbuoy?

I am considering adding one of these "floating upright sticks" to the Man Over Board equipment of my compact 27 feet (8.22m) sailboat.

Both the inflatable Jonbuoy and the telescopic Danbuoy are pretty expensive to my liking; it's basically just a floating piece of either soft or hard plastic.
Prices are not too far apart and when I go for it not a decisive factor. That makes decision making not any easier.

Things I try to take into consideration before buying this highly recommended though unfamiliar device include:
* Ease of storage
* Ease of deployment
* Reliability
* Need for maintenance
Does anyone has any feedback or input on this?
Any experience with deployment?
Any reaction would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nomadsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 10:25   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Inflatable Jonbuoy or telescopic Danbuoy?

I have a telescopic danbuoy, made by Plastimo. I stow it upright at the stern (see pix). I have never used it "in anger" in 10 years, but a few times for testing.

There is not much need for maintenance, now that I have added a shroud to protect the small flag from UV light. I just have to repair the clip for the magnetic switch on the light (broke the other day).

Alain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perche IOR.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	121498  
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450

We have a Jonbuoy Recovery Module (Man Overboard Recovery Device) installed to the railing on our boat. While at the Southampton boat show in 2013 we saw an actual demonstration of one in the harbour and that convinced me to purchase one. A key factor for us is that we are a couple and should one of us go overboard, 0400hrs, 3m swells, black, by deploying this the MOB should be able to find it (its lighted, luminescent) and find safe platform until rescue. And rescue of an injured person. It also makes it easier for the helmsman (woman) to find it. We also have Safelink R-10s on our lifejackets and are religious about wearing them on nightshift and bad weather.

Its a 38cm square box and mounted to the railing exterior. When activated it 'springs' out. Cant comment on reliability but I was satisfied with the material compositions, stitching, construction when I saw it in S'hampton. Maintenance: They say it should be serviced every 2 years....which reminds me. I purchased it with additional CO2 cartridges so I will rebuilt myself.

Never used in anger so can't offer any insights other than above.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 13:58   #4

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

I had today a non-inflatable (danbuoy) in the Shopping Basket of the online chandlery. Good sturdy plastic. Should last forever. Added to it all the bits to get it installed and protected...

Then I read an article of someone having this device but no manual to have it correctly installed so when deployed the light starts, the flag unfurls etc. The question was answered by a good number of helpful people. A whole series of replies, some with pictures, answered the question on how to strab this small rope there and attach that thingy there so this or that would happen or be averted. ---- So I was back to square one.

The regular maintenance an inflatable jonbuoy needs maybe doesn't weigh up to the advantage of having a small suitcase style, easy throw, device that - once inflated - can be grabbed onto.

There's other floating stuff we can throw overboard to mark a spot when training MOB maneuvers. Not having a long stick sticking up in the air will maybe be more educational than using a (non-inflatable) danbuoy for training. Obviously the (inflatable) jonbuoy are not suitable for training purpose.

I am going to give this purchase a few more days.
If I buy a bigger boat in that time the chance it will be the long plastic sticks instead of the handy briefcase of Thermos flask jonbuoy increases. The chandlery will get my money that other day.

Thank you for the input.
Old 31-03-2016, 06:48   #5

Thank you for the reply and the picture Alain,

Sorry for the late reply. I just discovered that my reply never got sent. That is what happens when accessing the Internet on a good number of devices!

---
One of the reasons I tend to go for the telescopic version is indeed that it allows for "educational use". These inflatables might need regular maintenance; in particular after each use.
---

As mentioned in another reply: I've given myself a little bit more time to think my decision over. One can only spend the money once.

Have a nice day.
Ibrahim
Old 31-03-2016, 13:38   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I preferred a telescopic buoy because it rides higher on the water than an inflatable one. I feel it is also more stable: stays more upright in case of strong wind.

I have added a length (50m, IIRC) of thin floating line between the horseshoe lifebuoy and the danbuoy, to buy more time after dropping the lifebuoy for freeing and dropping the danbuoy. At 5kts, 50m gives 20 seconds. This should be enough.

The line is stowed in a length of PVC tube, to run out easily.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable