Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 16:29   #391
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: How Many EPIRBS and Liferafts Ever Save Lives ?

Rules is for fools who can't do thinking.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 01:04   #392

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Are you saying that disucussing EPIRBS is like discussing guns to some?

Hopefully a continued discussion will be allowed without closing down. I don't see a lot of relationship to guns.
I think the point being made was that the value of EPIRB's has nothing to do with personnal freedom. The original post was how many times does an EPIRB serve its purpose in saving lives along with liferafts. It was not even about mandatory ERIRB's like we have in Aus but it seems some cannot except the view that some of us see there merits and that they do save lives daily around the world.
Wearing a seat belt can in some circumstances cause the death of a car driver/passenger but in most cases saves lives and that's why most wear them regardless of rules and regulations. Others refuse to believe and do not making up all kinds of reasons as to there point of view probably personnal freedom, the fifty nine thousand amendment of the constitution etc being some of those reasons.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 01:18   #393

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Whilst EPIRBS are mandatory in Australia and I guess in the early days I was miffed when they were regulated.

However having seen their value over recent years with so many successful rescues of yachtsmen in trouble I personally now consider them as important as lifejackets in this the age of the computer. Hell they are cheaper than a computer and that will not be much use to you in an emergency.

Hell, the age of personal freedom has long past. Dammit.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 03:14   #394
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Many EPIRBS and Liferafts Ever Save Lives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
When " personal freedom" nonsense starts entering a debate on the merits of PLBs.EPIRBS etc you know the debate has been won and the gun thread rubbish is about to begin.

Dave
No... it means some of us are sick of listening to stuff being rammed down our throats....
With your reasoning no one would go anywhere that involved risk...
You'd ban tree climbing unless trees were surrounded by safety nets and cover play areas with 4inch thick bouncy foam...
Life is a series of risk choices and there's no way to eliminate all risks... so one views whats available and makes their choice... I wear a seat belt not to save me from death and disaster... but because my wallet hates the fines...
Just because its not the same as yours does not make it wrong...
No victory Dave... just a little smug self deception... you stick to your security blanket mate...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 05:54   #395

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

100% with boatman61 - It is a slippery slope that has again and again been slid down from Liberty to "own your life" to subservience to some governmental committee who "knows better" how you should live your life.
- - As I said before this is actually a major consideration in the factors driving folks to take to the seas and long term cruising. We are responsible and independent people who do not need to be told how to live.
- - None of which takes away from the value and worthwhileness of EPIRBs and Life rafts. It just means we get to make the decisions whether it is more important to outfit our vessels first with strong and reliable and proven systems like rigging, sails, engines. navigation, communication and vessel design features that enhance our survivability - and then if there is any money/resources left over acquire and maintain life rafts and EPIRBS.
- - I for one invested in a sound and safe vessel improving and enhancing the strength and ability of that vessel to see me through anything Mother Nature could logically and sometimes illogically throw my way.
- - Specifically to life rafts there is maxim that originated in the old days that you never get into a life until you have to "step up" to get into it. That came about as it was also well understood that your survival chances floating around in a life raft were extremely minimal compared to staying with your vessel. There were many incidents in the racing world where taking to life rafts proved to be fatal versus staying with the vessel.
- - Counting on somebody else or some government to come out and rescue my ass from my own bad judgements has never been in my equation of what cruising the world is all about.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 11:10   #396

Boat: Fantasia 35

Hip hip hooray for all the he-man cruisers out there! God bless you one and all.

But please - on bended knee - please don't allow your he-man-ness to deny your crew their one last chance to survive.

"With Liberty and Justice for all."

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 12:28   #397

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Hip hip hooray for all the he-man cruisers out there! God bless you one and all.

But please - on bended knee - please don't allow your he-man-ness to deny your crew their one last chance to survive.

"With Liberty and Justice for all."

I think the crew would know ahead of time and make their own choices.

Children - parents make choices for them every day.

Koolaid kiddies? It's ready.
Old 31-05-2011, 13:27   #398

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

If you want to know, this is from the USCG,

Number of People Rescued (in 2011) in the United States: 70

- Rescues at sea: 31 people rescued in 10 incidents

- Aviation rescues: 4 people rescued in 2 incidents

- Terrestrial PLB rescues: 35 people rescued in 18 incidents

* Worldwide - Over 28,000+ People Rescued (since 1982)

* United States - 6,599 People Rescued (since 1982)

They have some additional year stats on their website.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 14:28   #399

So the original poster asked how many lives are saved by these devices and now we have a group telling us they cause bad seamanship due to complacency. Another one telling us they do not want them because it effects there personnal freedom. Another group think that their ability far outways the need for an EPIRB or liferaft because they can handle any situation. This thread should be moved to the comedy section.
Old 31-05-2011, 14:40   #400
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Many EPIRBS and Liferafts Ever Save Lives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
So the original poster asked how many lives are saved by these devices and now we have a group telling us they cause bad seamanship due to complacency. Another one telling us they do not want them because it effects there personnal freedom. Another group think that their ability far outways the need for an EPIRB or liferaft because they can handle any situation. This thread should be moved to the comedy section.
Viking Sailor..... view post 386.... crew... like me have freedom of choice... seems the 'He Manly' thing to do....

Meyermm.... its what is known as discussion... a question is asked then folks offer their opinions and views... then a little batting back and forth follows...
If your only interested in one view of the world....
may I recommend Chairman Mao's 'Red Book'.... enjoy... I'm sure the tunnel view will suit you down to the ground....
Or.... for a change... offer an opinion rather than your usual Antipodean caricature of a sneer

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 15:02   #401

Boat: Westerly Centaur

When i eventually get my boat, ( Still in my sights and making progress) , I shall purchase my S/O a PLB, a good quality life jacket, and a survival suit. I could never look her family in the face again if anything happened to her. For myself, that money will be better spent on making the boat seaworthy to the point where that safety equipment will never be required.
If I were to sail solo, which may end up becoming the case anyway, I would buy a good book on "Things to do while drowning".
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 15:12   #402

Boat: Fantasia 35

Hay, BM61,

I call your post 386 with my post 180 and rise you post 267.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 15:13   #403

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad View Post
When i eventually get my boat, ( Still in my sights and making progress) , I shall purchase my S/O a PLB, a good quality life jacket, and a survival suit. I could never look her family in the face again if anything happened to her. For myself, that money will be better spent on making the boat seaworthy to the point where that safety equipment will never be required.
If I were to sail solo, which may end up becoming the case anyway, I would buy a good book on "Things to do while drowning".
If you sail together and stick together...I hope you DO know the PLB works for both/all the crew?????
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 15:33   #404

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you sail together and stick together...I hope you DO know the PLB works for both/all the crew?????
Quite so. The point is my concern is for her and her alone as well as the peace of mind of her family.
But indeed aye, one is better than none when all are in the same boat so to speak.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 15:56   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Viking Sailor..... view post 386.... crew... like me have freedom of choice... seems the 'He Manly' thing to do....

Meyermm.... its what is known as discussion... a question is asked then folks offer their opinions and views... then a little batting back and forth follows...
If your only interested in one view of the world....
may I recommend Chairman Mao's 'Red Book'.... enjoy... I'm sure the tunnel view will suit you down to the ground....
Or.... for a change... offer an opinion rather than your usual Antipodean caricature of a sneer
I was not suggesting anyone should not post an opinion. My point was that some comments made me laugh that was my latest addition to the discussion. Oh and many times on CF the words off topic have also been used. Your comments about Mao and me being Australian for those who did not understand the Antipodean bit have also made me laugh. If getting a laugh out of someones comment is a crime then this forum is really going down hill fast.