Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 13:54   #166
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
@terminal and susanna...

Thanks for sharing first hand experiences ...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 14:01   #167
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Can't believe I didn't remember this earlier...it is a great saying and very appropriate to this thread...

"Violence is never a solution unless it is the only solution."

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 16:37   #168

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

One is not a coward if they choose to take a course of action that presents the least amount of risk, even if it is distastful like letting someone take things from you. What that actually makes you is an adult who can control their ego and make rational decisions using situational awareness instead of puffing ones chest out and doing a "Peter Blake"--Foolish Sailor

I think it is highly insensitive to criticize someone's response in a life or death situation based upon your own personal code of ethics. Especially, when he was murdered as a result. Peter Blake was a national hero who showed his courage, talents and resourcefulness throughout his entire life. He reacted according to his nature and unfortunately paid the ultimate price. I hardly consider his heroic act to protect his mates as "puffing one's chest out" and I would doubt that any of those that survived would have described his actions as such. It was a pure "flight or fight" response and Peter Blake did not falter. A better mate would be hard to find.
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 17:03   #169

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

This could probably be configured to work on a boat, mount it on each side so when the pirates pull up POOOF!!!!!!!!! Gee Policia, their boat caught fire!!

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 17:24   #170

Boat: private yacht always moving

The Bad Guys might be bringing a machete to a fire fight. These are interesting, a water gun for one video and a fire-extinguisher for another. Easy to disguise

I like the fire-extinguisher better
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-06-2012, 17:34   #171

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
The Bad Guys might be bringing a machete to a fire fight. These are interesting, a water gun for one video and a fire-extinguisher for another. Easy to disguise

I like the fire-extinguisher better
One (or both) of these contestants will win the Darwin award. Let's vote. I pick the water gun guy, since the water gun has no means of backflow prevention.
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2012, 01:59   #172
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The fact is the vast majority of cruisers who are faced with such criminals are likely to be caught surprised. Coupled with the fact their is often friends or family aboard who could be injured, means the most typical response is acquiescence. It's not wrong or right, it's just a matter of fact.

Even when faced with death few people turn to violence, the world is full of situations where people simply got killed and remained passive throughout.

Armed defence on any small boat , cruising internationally is virtually impossible. It's amusing to discuss the options , in practice it's " junk science". The "advice" is virtually worthless. The fundamental failing of armed response is (a) you will get time to react. And (b) you will react faster and better then your opponent, neither is usually true in the real world. For a very select few cruises that have very specific training and are prepared to flout national law, it "may" be possible , for the vast vast majority of us , it isn't remotely useful as a strategy. In fact it could be a highly misleading waste of time.

The world is not full of crime, most of it is pleasant and law abiding., visit those places. But always remember a rich man alone in a poor place always is a target.

Dave
Old 21-06-2012, 03:42   #173

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Considering almost every country in the world confiscates arms during check in, the reality is that a vast majority of violence against yachting occurs not in open water piracy but at anchor or on passage between harbors of a given country. So most of the time we will be unarmed, unless fool enough to have smuggled arms...

Here is an excerpt from

Street Crime Survival: How To Survive An Armed Robbery

It is a very long and very comprehensive article on minimises risk, how to be smart and how to survive. The following excerpt is interesting, but the article is defo worth a full read...see below.

No one can always prepare for every eventuality, and you may still find yourself the sudden victim of a robbery attempt. During an armed robbery, it's most prudent to adopt the following tactics:

* do precisely as you are told, and no more;

* avoid eye contact with the robber;

* speak only when spoken to;

* tell the robber exactly what you are doing;

* make no sudden movements;

* don't activate alarms unless it is safe to do so;

* try to remain calm and control your emotions; and

* remember as many details as possible about the bandit and the incident.

If you believe we are peddling mere passivity as someone takes away your hard-earned valuables, you're quite wrong. There are other ways to fight other than the 'macho' way of the movies. Remember, one should only fight back physically as a last resort, when you feel as if your life or person (or someone with you) is, at that moment, truly in danger. After all, very few people are faster than speeding bullets in real-life.
Thanks for this foolish. It's much for useful to me than all the bravado, shoot'em up stuff.
Old 21-06-2012, 04:26   #174

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl
I was on an isolated beach in India with an Indian friend many years ago and we were approached by 2 men. They were yelling at my friend in Hindu and gesturing at me. My hand was in the pocket of my backpack holding my swiss army knife the entire time. My friend stood between the men and me and tried to calm them. They had a motor bike parked close, our was some distance away so running was not an option. My friend gave them his money, a 500 rupee note and convinced them to leave me alone. He confirmed later they had been threatening to rape me.

We walked slowly back to our motorcycle and as we turned onto the main road we saw our robbers crossing the road toward a family park a few hundred feet away. My friend had me hop off the bike and he went after them. He confronted them in the parking lot with loads of other people around and the bystanders grabbed the guys and held them while my friend and I went to get the police. Later, at the police station while we were giving our statements, I had to witness these robbers stripped down to their underwear being brutally caned and crying in pain. It was a horrific day and an eye-opening learning experience on justice in "developing" countries.

Being robbed and threatened was terrifying and although I had my little knife wrapped tightly in my hand, I'm glad I didn't have to make the decision to use it. I am convinced that calm and passive is the way to go until lives are in actual danger. You can always get more money, you can't get more life.
I am an Indian and by your post I guess we are talking about Goa.
You don't have to feel sad about them getting caned after all they were planning to do something far gruesome. In a nutshell, they got off lightly. Just imagine if they would have been booked on some charges of assault or intention to rob and rape they would spend years behind bars without trial. police will not let them go Scott free because they always want to keep their yard arm clear just in case if the case re-opens because of embassy intervening in 3 months later.
Sometimes, locals think they are beyond law, because of patronage of some lousy local politician, it's only when they get caught in the Long arm of the law that they begin to 'repent'. ;-)
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2012, 04:54   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i once saw an inpromptu public stoning of a pick-pocket in a tanzanian market.
apparently someone had seen this guy stealing and shouted"Mwesi",swahili for thief.

people started picking up stones and throwing them at him untill he was cornered,then the rocks started!

quite a large crowd had gathered by the time the police intervened and dragged off the lifeless body.

people often equate 3rd world countries with lawlessness,but what i saw that day was justice in its swifitist form!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2012, 07:33   #176

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
A Swedish mate (ex-boxer, good physical condition, short-tempered, too quick to use his fists) was boarded in Venezuela last decade while anchored and alone. His cat woke him up. There were 3 men in the cockpit and 1 came at him with a knife (maybe just threatened him with a knife?). He reacted according to his physical training, removed the knife from the attacker's hand with a twist and then stabbed him with his own weapon. The other 2 men jumped over the side while their pal bled in the cockpit.

So the Swede started the engine, hoisted the anchor and headed out to sea. His biggest impression was the quantity of blood in his cockpit. He threw the invader over the side. Then went to the authorities. He was told that he was lucky to have done so well. Another boat had been found with a murdered couple aboard and ransacked. No charges laid.

We personally know this bloke and have sailed in company together many years ago so i can confirm his but the story was related to us by his ex-wife.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2012, 12:21   #177

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
(...) Then went to the authorities.(...)
Now this may have been his mistake.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2012, 12:23   #178

Boat: a sailing boat

BTW the Nicaragua affair - I am obviously reading different sources before going places. Or else my perception of what constitutes safe vs. unsafe is way stricter than many others'.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2012, 12:33   #179

"I am an Indian and by your post I guess we are talking about Goa."

Actually Tamil Nadu - Mamallapuram. Gave Goa a miss.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 22-06-2012, 05:03   #180

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
I would be interested to hear ideas about prevention. Something along the lines of not appearing to be easy prey. Other than a dog and a scowl I got nothing.