Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2017, 11:07   #16

Re: Epoxy = Molten Lava in the Eye

Ouch.

Knowing how acetone feels like on skin, and the fact that it can permeate the skin (which means I have a lifetime supply in my liver, probably), I don't think I'd ever deliberately put acetone in an eye. Vinegar maybe.

Hindsight of course... I would first try flushing an 'epoxied' eye with fresh water as much as possible to just get stuff out. If the local waters were clean and safe enough, I'd possibly just jump in, put face in the water and blink like crazy while wiping carefully with a clean cloth. Then, I'd consider more aggressive means if required.

Some info on industrial eye-wash requirements.

But I think instead I'll just wear the goggles more often. Thanks for the cautionary tale.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:23   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ken didn't acetone his eye, just said he knew or heard of someone that did.
I sort of jumped in trying to be cautious saying please don't intentionally put acetone in your eye in case someone got the idea to.
In the Army we used MEK a lot and got it beat into our heads that getting it into your eye was akin to instant permanent blindness, maybe it is, maybe it isn't but as my living up until today has been dependent on my eyes, I sort of am very cautious about them. I had rather lose any of my other senses before eyesight, and they seem to be so fragile too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:29   #18

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Ok, so next epoxy problem, I need a contortionist less than 2 ft, tall to find the leak and stuff epoxy in it!! I will supply safety glasses and gloves.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:34   #19

Boat: Corsair F28 AC

Yowzah!! Epoxy in the eye with a paint thinner chaser. Serious business. Glad you're OK.
Lakepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:36   #20

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepapa View Post
Yowzah!! Epoxy in the eye with a paint thinner chaser. Serious business. Glad you're OK.
I was wondering why he's been so quiet.....
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 11:39   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
"NEVER use hazardous chemicals without reading the precautions!! OSHA requires that MSDS sheets be shipped with haz mats, and they are ALWAYS available on line."

It's a nice thought, but I know of nobody that reads them before an accident. Also the several pages of useless safety info that comes at the front of equipment manuals now. I assumed they're written by lawyers fearful of layoffs.
Bull and not a useful attitude to perpetuate.

I do. I also read instructions. I've learned that both save time.
Old 24-05-2017, 11:46   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You must have missed the part where I wrote that I forgot to put on my goggles... as in.... I thought I had them on. FYI: Mineral spirits or rather paint thinner does clean up uncured epoxy. It's what I've been using up until I read this thread and learned about vinegar.

One more point: Put a drop of epoxy in your eye and see just how easy it is to read the label on the can.... IN ITALIAN. Which brings up another point OSHA? I'm in Italy!

I'm not blind, no harm done. Thanks for your input.
I am very glad you are OK. I've gotten a few things in the eye and always felt lucky. And generally very stupid.

But yeah, dilute vinegar is the thing. Mineral spirits is next to useless by comparison. However, since it does not actually dissolve the epoxy, only loosen the bond and prevent curing, you still need to follow-up with soap and water. I always keep a bottle handy when working with epoxy. S__t has a way of getting on everything in a boat unless you are meticulous... and even then.
Old 24-05-2017, 12:14   #23
cruiser

I was finishing up some of the same epoxy work earlier today and had mixed a little more than I'd used up to that point, when the inch or so still in the cup began to flash... Wow! Smokin' Fumes and rather intense heat all in over a matter of maybe 15 seconds. Had to put it down quick! I was in closed quarters when it happened, maybe four times the size of me, but if it had been much tighter? Scary stuff.

Back when I used to do piano rebuilding, I had he same thing happen a few times when I mixed too much.

No wonder it hurts in an eye.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:16   #24

Boat: 41' yawl

I've gotten stupid crap in my eyes before and just put my head in a bucket of water, opened my eyes, and blinked... Sometimes I'll leave them open and transition in and out of the water, in and out and in and out, trying to let the water hold onto the schmutz.

Mineral spirits? That was ballsy.

I remember getting gelcoat on my glasses once. So I put some sort of thinner on a paper towel and wiped it clean. Immediately went "oh sh**." as my lenses turned to opaque junk.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:20   #25
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I also read instructions. I've learned that both save time.
Next thing you tell us is that you also ask for directions when you are lost ... you are giving the male gender a bad rep !

Sometimes I am real glad that I wear glasses! I can not imagine the pain of the epoxy, never mind trying to wash it out with any kind of chemical ! <shudder>
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:26   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you are mixing a small quantity don't use a cup, use an old ash tray which means the epoxy is much shallower as won't go nuclear in the same way it does in a cup.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 12:53   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
If you are mixing a small quantity don't use a cup, use an old ash tray which means the epoxy is much shallower as won't go nuclear in the same way it does in a cup.

Pete
Nuclear is an accurate description.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 14:18   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
Ok, so next epoxy problem, I need a contortionist less than 2 ft, tall to find the leak and stuff epoxy in it!! I will supply safety glasses and gloves.

That is what you have kids for
Old 24-05-2017, 14:43   #29

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

No harm done? About 10 years ago I got epoxy paint in my eyes. Immediately flushed it with water and soap, sore eyes for a day or so.

Now one of the first signs of my epoxy alergy is my eyes swelling up to the point that I can hardly see. I am sure this is connected to the epoxy I got in my eyes years ago. Now I need a full face mask and tyvek suit to go near the stuff. Even sanding cured epoxy is enough to bring it out if I am not fully covered up.

Be careful, epoxy is a very nasty endocrine disruptor.
Old 24-05-2017, 16:08   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

People develop allergies to cyanoacrylics (superglue) too. Many a modeler has had to go back to the old fashioned adhesives, I had forgotten epoxy is similar in that people develop allergies, guess I had better be more careful as I have no allergy yet.

Tags
epoxy