Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 08:41   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Distress location built infeature on Horizon HX8

I recently purchased a new handheld VHF which is the above model. About to take a sailboat across the corner of the GOM from Apalachicola Florida down to around Clearwater, then go through Lake Okeechobee and hopefully within a week or so jumping into the Atlantic and riding the Gulf Stream north as weather permits. Eventually going all the way to Maine. I’m far from an electronics geek but given the other people on board, myself, and the vessel on such a voyage needs options I’m trying to see if I understand this correctly. The vessel doesn’t have an EPIRB and it isn’t my vessel. Given that, I’m interested in options that would go with me both on this trip and trips in the future on our vessels.

It appears to me that although the function is built into this particular hand held my readings online just now seem to indicate that even though the unit has it built in and could be registered for an MMSI number in other countries, currently the US doesn’t offer and “ the USCG and the FCC are in discussions on the topic”

Are we really that far behind the times here?
Looking at non monthly fee personal locator beacons that run from about $300 to $800. I’d prefer to find out I’m reading this wrong or it’s old information, but I’m going to do what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for advice or comments.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:41   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Distress location built infeature on Horizon HX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
Are we really that far behind the times here?
Only just now realizing that? But slightly more seriously...

1. The boat needs a proper EPIRB. Don't try to dance around it with a handheld VHF. For going offshore, satellite messengers should be viewed as a bonus communications tool and not a replacement for an EPIRB.

2. The model number was cut off, but I assume it's an HX890 or 870. You can get an MMSI for it. If you don't plan to leave the US, get a domestic MMSI from US Power Squadrons and program that in. I'd do this even if you eventually plan to go international, since I believe you are allowed to change it one time without going back to the manufacturer.

3. I'm guessing the boat doesn't have its own VHF? If not, I'm wondering what else the boat doesn't have on it.

4. If you're mainly looking at personal safety gear, start with some basics such making sure your PFD is equipped with a strobe. Eventually either a PLB or MOB device may be desirable. There are a few posts around discussing how they differ and in which cases one might be preferred to another.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:02   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Offshore for the boat get a proper epirb , for your personal , in my opinion an DSC mob device offers the best advantages
Old 12-05-2022, 10:20   #4

At a loss here. I’m not sure what timeline was indicated in my post to prompt you to say ‘just now realizing that? Whenever any of us realize anything for the first time, aren’t we “ just then realizing that”?
Below are responses to your numerical sequence.
1. The boat will be in daysail charter service for years to come once to it’s destination, hence the owner not seeing a need for an EPIRB. I understand that but also am giving thought to the risks we on board will be taking without one. I’m thinking that through.
2. The model number is the HX890. My error and apology for that having been cut off in the subject line. I’m going to register it through Boats US today.
3. The boat DOES have a VHF. Since my post I’ve learned the owner is getting it registered today. The vessel was recently purchased by him.
4. Now THAT was helpful and didn’t come across as condescending. So much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:31   #5

Boat: Tartan T4400

Tatheelrod22 Can you verify the model number? As noted above if 870 or 890 you can register and get an MMSI number for use with DSC distress calling. I would not go through Boat US I would go through the FCC and get a number that you can use on various boats. If you go to Canada or communicate with a foreign station you will need a license also. Can you provide a reference where it says you can't register it. There are a few threads here on register hand held VHF.
Remember that DSC calling is via VHF and only send a signal via VHF. It does not communicate via satellite to an rescue coordination center. You hand held would give position via the built in GPS and other info as long as it is entered in to the radio. . You can purchase a EPIRB for 500 or so or smaller PLB's for a little less, This would be a good investment. A PLB is more portable than an EPIR but the batteries do not last as long. You don't need a spot or iridium go just for emergency notifications. They do have some advantages two way communication. I would suggest to the owner to purchase an EPIRB.
More information on what the boat has for safety communication equipment and what you wnat to be able to do would help in making suggestions. How much time do plan on sailing offshore.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:42   #6

Certainly get an MMSI for your handheld VHF but the range will not be very far as VHF is line-of-sight. Not sure how far offshore the USCG can pick up a handheld VHF but I would not rely on that as my only option for rescue. A voice May-Day on the ships VHF will have slightly longer range assuming the antenna is at the top of the mast, but still limited.

My understanding is that Personal Locator Beacons and EPIRBs operate in the same way and communicate with the same satellite networks. The difference is that EPIRBs will have much longer lasting battery, float, and may have automatic activation. But they are registered to a boat so not much use to you unless you plan to donate it to the owner after the trip. We do not go offshore but do carry a PLB. Incidentally, it's nice to have if you go into remote locations on land.

We also carry a Garmin InReach that allows us to get limited weather information, text people, and call for rescue in a similar way to the PLB (difference described here: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Gx15Brn9Y4kP96). You can get very cheap subscriptions and turn them on/off as needed. If I had to pick one device, that might be the one because of the weather and general non-emergency texting to shore support. Luckily I don't have to choose.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:44   #7

Thank you Mike for an informative kind reply. have been wishing I would’ve noted exactly what the URL was to what I read because I thought I’m likely going to need it. Let me describe my situation. Hopefully it doesn’t sound complicated. I do need advice and guidance.
The boat I will be on for the next few weeks belongs to someone else. It does have a VHF and I’m told it will be registered by the end of the day. I understand that it’s simply remits once activated and identifies the vessel from which the VHF is sending a signal, so if well offshore and not within range of other vessels that does not sound reliable.
I really want the experience of this trip however I understand the need for safety. Maybe I purchase an EPIRB and personal locator beacon myself and take it on the trip. In fact if all goes according to plan my wife and I will be making the jump across from the Florida panhandle to the Clearwater area and then from the East Coast of Florida over to the Bahamas on our own vessel in the fall. It would make sense to have those on each of those legs. it appears however the registration on these go with the vessel and not me personally. Given that, can you confirm I need to go ahead and register them with the vessel I will be on with this pending trip and then make note to change those before the fall of the year. I recall reading or hearing today that some models possibly allow for one change free of charge and without having to send the unit back to the factory. If so, maybe I make certain that I purchase from that category.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:55   #8

Tatheelrod22 We were both writing posts at the same time. What type of charter service? Is the boat going to be a crewed charter and inspected, if so I believe an EPIRB is required. Not a professional captain do I do not claim to be versed in the rules for commercial vessels. The owner should look in to this. On your trip I would like to have an EPIRB for the time I am not in the ICW. Going out side a Cape Hatteras can be tricky. Sincer it is nt your boat I would purchase a PLB for under $400. What is your life worth?
Old 12-05-2022, 11:56   #9

Tatheelrod22 Just did a quick check and I can change the boat information on the NOAA web site where the beacons are registered. So you change it at least once. I think you can change it multiple times but I can not find that in writing. My 2 cents and EPIRB/PLB is worth it it is a life saving device. The newer EPIRBs have user replaceable batteries, so you are not spending 300 or more to change batteries every 5 years and the batteries are good for 10 years. So if you break it down it is about 50 dollars a year. I opted for a cat 1 automatic deployable. I am looking at the different MOB systems available currently.
Old 12-05-2022, 13:31   #10

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatheelrod22 View Post
I recall reading or hearing today that some models possibly allow for one change free of charge and without having to send the unit back to the factory.
This is not an issue for PLBs, and I suspect not for EPIRBS either*. They are programmed for a particular country upon purchase (and would need to be re-programmed should you change countries), but when moving from boat to boat you can simply update the registration details online.

The "only change once" issue is for entering an MMSI into DSC radios. You can still go into the USPS or Boat US systems and update the registration details, emergency contacts, etc as often as needed. For example, before a more significant trip I'll go into the USPS site and enter the vessel name, trip dates, and other particulars. I've seen mention that BoatUS syncs with the Coast Guard's MISLE system daily, but I've generally tried to make such updates at least a week in advance.

*That is, you can program your vessel's MMSI into the EPIRB, but if you don't have the MMSI you can register the beacon using its hex ID. This might be the path if you want one now, but expect to use it on your own boat at some future time.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress