Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:02   #16

Re: Close encounter

When I was kid growing up diving and sailing Tampa Bay we crossed sharks all the time, but they were smaller. I think TB is more of a nursery (my opinion).

Anyway, there was always this legend told about a huge hammerhead which was named "Old Hitler." Just a story of course.

And then about 7-8 years ago I saw in the news that some TB fishermen caught an absolutely huge great hammerhead, 16-18 feet if I recall correctly.

I was depressed all day when I read that story. So sad to kill a magnificent animal that had to be over 50 years old, just to have a trophy.

Bye Old Hitler
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
In my area (SoCal) it used to be unheard of for hammerheads to come this far north into cooler waters, but with temps going up now they are often sighted and I saw one last spring cruising on the surface near Santa Barbara.
And Great Whites too. Call in the Orcas.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Close encounter

I thought of going for a swim off the boat in Nuku Hiva when we arrived.. however the sight of some doral fins and half a dozen Tiger sharks lazily cruising by put me off.. have never swum in the S Pacific.. to bludi dangerous.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 20:58   #19

Interesting thread - mainly because, we see sharks like...all the time?

I assumed it was normal to see them...we've seen them when we go out on our little Hobie (and fairly often from my balcony at my condo). Seriously. We always wonder if the tourists realize how many are actually swimming *with* them, just unnoticed...

We're in the panhandle - mainly see bulls, hammerheads (and of course nurse). Only the bulls scare me. Hammerheads around here are VERY skittish - and I can't see how they could hurt much (tiny mouths). These aren't huge fish, let's be clear...maybe 5-8 feet - and all the ones I've ever seen dart quickly AWAY from people. Maybe our hammerheads are a different type?

We're purchasing our first monohull this weekend (!!) and I was wondering how people felt about diving out and about in open water with all the sharks!
arroway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 23:30   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroway View Post
Hammerheads around here are VERY skittish - and I can't see how they could hurt much (tiny mouths). These aren't huge fish, let's be clear...maybe 5-8 feet - and all the ones I've ever seen dart quickly AWAY from people. Maybe our hammerheads are a different type?
There's hammerheads, and then there's hammerheads:

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 00:00   #21

Well dang. Ok. That's definitely not our type ;-)
arroway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 00:14   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Never a person who tolerated hot weather well, I was maxed out in the Marquesas, at 6 deg. north. We arrived from Tahuata into Nuku Hiva arount 5 PM, this close to the equator, that's too late to go for a swim, but I had not yet realized that, so jumped overboard, and....

came up face to face with a small black tip reef shark. Both of us were startled, maybe even terrified. I was into the dinghy in a flash, cool off swim over, and I'm sure he went back to his Mum and said, "Mom, I just saw this horrible, giant, pink thing in the water!"

Ann
Old 25-10-2016, 08:04   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

You are lucky if you live where there are still any sharks left.

In many years of sailing we met sharks only in a handful of places. We have never met a white once ;-(

Snorkeling with sharks in the Keeling reef cut was a highlight of our trip. It was the only place where I could see sharks up close and personal under water.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc