Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2023, 05:28   #91
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Bare feet on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
good point !

back in the days of timber ships and iron men it was only the namby pamby officers that wore shoes. real men had bare feet !

cheers,

An anachronistic argument. Shoes had leather (slippery) soles. The rule would be different now.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:27   #92

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

We stay on our sail cat ~months of the year and only really wear shoes or even sandles onboard. To a point where last winter/spring season in the Bahamas we found ourselves heading to shore in our dinghy and realized that we'd both forgotten shoes and would be barefooting it on land.

Maybe not for everybody, but after we got over the requisite toe jams at first, we're generally fine. BUT! make sure you put sunscreen on the tops of those feet!
Old 13-10-2023, 00:51   #93

Boat: Islander 34- 1967

My Islander 28 went by " Barefoot "when she was turned over to me. The name conjures up sandy beaches and freedom, so Barefoot she stayed.At 28ft there's a place for everything. I can find things in the dark with my monkey toes. My boots are with weather gear">foul weather gear, quick to access, a pair of sneakers with the dinghy.
To my shame I will admit to squashing my little toe with the 9.9hp I use for the tender, ouch! I could downsize to a 5hp but then the R I B would have trouble getting up on the plane and the weight difference would be negligible as far as my pinky toes concerned. I hope my feet will be another pair of hands, one day Orangutan!
If I'm going overboard I'd rather flippers than sketchers.
Didn't Shackleton eat his boots?.....of course there is those funky shoes with toes
londonrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 08:23   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Haha, reading this thread reminds me of Josh Slocum, I'll bet he was glad that the unruly miscreants that jumped on his boat weren't wearing shoes, they might have tracked some dirt onboard.
I remember that part of his book where he talked about spreading tacks on his deck to welcome the unwelcome guests during the middle of the night. Might not be as effective nowadays though.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote