Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Question About Plotter Chips / Card

I would like to know if you can get something like a card reader/writer for a computer and move the chart files that you have on your PC to a card and load them onto a chartplotter.

Like if you have C-Map charts or BSB and buy a chartplotter that dose not come with the charts you already have on your PC?

Or can they be transfered by way of like Seatalk or NMEA or other interface?

Thank you

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 15:43   #2

I sure was hoping there was a computer geek out there that could help

Dutch
Old 03-02-2010, 15:57   #3
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
It's all proprietary. Depends on the charts. Depends on the software. Depends on the plotter.

If you want to transfer to a plotter, the answer will usually be: Probably not. But if it's one of the rare instances you can, you'll probably have to pay for it.

Pretty much, if you want to use existing and/or free charts, you need a PC setup to use for navigation. No plotter I am aware of will use the free ENC charts. And I am also not aware of any plotter that uses raster charts (which includes all BSBs). The plotters all use proprietary charts. And for proprietary charts you need proprietary card readers, cards and software.

But, there may be an exception out there I am not aware of..

So, the trade off is: Convenience, durability, etc. of a chart plotter and be stuck with buying proprietary charts. Or the complications of a PC (and expense of the display, which may rival or exceed the price of a plotter), but the possibility of free software and a lot of free charts. And the ability to but charts of different formats.

My choice? Have both. The PC is main, the chartplotter is the backup.

-dan

PS The tradeoff section is just touching the issues. There are a lot of tradeoffs and options. I'm sure now that I have answered, others will jump at the chance to tell me where I went wrong.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 16:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
I use a Raymarine with C-map .. there is a unit you can buy from C-map that allows you to take the chip and enter waypoints and routes using their card reader and your PC and then use the chip in the chartplotter.. When I checked into it, it was the same functions that could be done at the plotter.. didnt see it being cost effective..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 17:13   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The card readers for the nav chips only allow you to transfer waypoints and routes and none of them will allow you to transfer the charts to a computer or from the computer to the chip. BTW, the C-map reader crashed our computer every time we tried to use it. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 17:50   #6

ok Thank you all,

Its a shame I was hoping to use the cm93 and Bsb charts that I have on my computer and load them onto a Plotter that way I would not have to buy anymore charts.

I guess I have two choices now either get the Raymarine A50 preloaded with all the world. Or keep useing my PC and just find a way to see it better from the helm.

I know I am cheap but I really feel that it is wrong to charge $$$$$$ for charts that in most cases the goverment provieded and tax paid for, even in other countrys.

Dutch