Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2024, 09:40   #1

Norfolk to Key West in April

I am helping a friend relocate their 43’ sailboat from Norfolk to Key West starting April 1 and am hoping for good tips and advice. Additional information…

- We are casual sailors who feel this is in our abilities, but not accomplished sailors.
- I have searched the forum and can tell this is not a popular time of year to do this.
- Not opposed to the ICW, but would like to do as much under wind as possible.
- Plan on staying between the Gulf Stream and land when outside.
- We will likely do a series of 2-3 night hops as we need to make it in less than 2 weeks.

Questions…

- Is this poor timing?
- What wind and weather conditions can we expect?
- Are there any Capes, tides, shoaling, or other features we should avoid at night and only attempt during daylight?
- Exiting Pamlico Sound, do we need to time the currents at the inlets?
- Any other tips or advice?

Thank you!
Kurt Ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 10:33   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Norfolk to Key West in April

Timing isn't bad, but recognize that you are going into a hurricane zone and everyone else is going the other direction.

Do not even think of exiting Pamlico sound into the ocean. Get a book on the inlets and cross off the ones which are not considered all weather.

If the mast height is 65 ft or draft is over 6 ft, forget the ICW.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 11:36   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

It is very slow going when one sails south against the stream even when motor-sailing. You will make better time in the ditch. The main question is why does your friend want to take their boat to Key West at that time of year. With the change in climate we are seeing storms get larger and happen earlier in the year so you both should be heading north in April.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 11:38   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
- Are there any Capes, tides, shoaling, or other features we should avoid at night and only attempt during daylight?
Do not go out any of the ocean inlets from Pamlico Sound! If you can clear about 62 feet (Alligator-Pungo Canal) take the ICW route to Beaufort, then hop outside, weather permitting, for one and two-day trips. Technically, the overhead clearance limit is 65 feet, but there are several places where 62 feet is more like it. Much over 6 feet of draft is tough in the ICW. The major shipping inlets like Beaufort, Cape Fear, Charleston, Port Royal, Savannah, St Marys, St. Johns, Canaveral, etc. are all well marked and deep, though they can be unpleasant if you have an outgoing current against an incoming strong wind. Keep in mind that the coastal route is relatively shallow with many shoals and obstacles to watch out for, including fishing boats and other traffic, so it requires a good watch at night and paying attention to your navigation. For example, don't cut inside of Frying Pan Shoals if it is rough out there. Typically, the wind will be on the nose much of the time, but you may be able to catch a milder front with northerly winds. I recommend waiting until the front has passed before heading out to make sure the forecast 20-30 doesn't become 30-40.
Old 17-03-2024, 13:10   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Timing isn't bad, but recognize that you are going into a hurricane zone and everyone else is going the other direction.

Do not even think of exiting Pamlico sound into the ocean. Get a book on the inlets and cross off the ones which are not considered all weather.

If the mast height is 65 ft or draft is over 6 ft, forget the ICW.
You probably don't need to worry about hurricanes until around July.

This based on my experience while living in Florida for about 14 years. 1995-2009. I experienced about 8-10 hurricanes while there all being in July or later.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 13:41   #6

Boat: Swan 48

Nothing wrong with going outside as long as you pay attention for the Hatteras rounding. Wait in Norfolk until you have a good 2 day window of decent wind that isn’t northerly. Diamond Shoals is the closest point to the apex of the Gulf Stream. I usually hug it fairly close (as long as the wind isn’t northerly).

As far as the ditch, many people prefer it, but I don’t see it being faster, even bucking the current.
Cari Laut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 13:46   #7

Or if it is northerly, you can thread the needle between land and the gulf stream. I passed Hatteras in that direction in a northern 30-40 knots and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. That was in the Fall, though.
Old 17-03-2024, 22:26   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
. Typically, the wind will be on the nose much of the time, but you may be able to catch a milder front with northerly winds. I recommend waiting until the front has passed before heading out to make sure the forecast 20-30 doesn't become 30-40.
The wind direction will be variable. Use Windy to determine whether the will be favorable or not, but only count on the next 3 days as being accurate. Plan on waiting out the strong adverse winds.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 06:40   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Ewert View Post
I am helping a friend relocate their 43’ sailboat from Norfolk to Key West starting April 1 and am hoping for good tips and advice. Additional information…

- We are casual sailors who feel this is in our abilities, but not accomplished sailors.
- I have searched the forum and can tell this is not a popular time of year to do this.
- Not opposed to the ICW, but would like to do as much under wind as possible.
- Plan on staying between the Gulf Stream and land when outside.
- We will likely do a series of 2-3 night hops as we need to make it in less than 2 weeks.

Questions…

- Is this poor timing?
- What wind and weather conditions can we expect?
- Any other tips or advice?

Thank you!
Kurt, I have made the trip south from the Chesapeake a number of times. Here are my thoughts…

April 1 timing is fine, especially for a plan that involves a series of hops.

Going down the intercoastal to Beaufort is a fine way to start the trip, especially if the weather at departure time is not good offshore. I think everyone should experience the intercostal once. I find it mind numbing and exhausting, and prefer offshore.

You will want to watch the weather closely, as this time of year there can be highly varied conditions. You will likely find two to three day runs of really great offshore weather followed by a couple of days it might be better to be in sheltered water.

On my boat I would plan to depart the Chesapeake on the backside of a low pressure system (yes, a storm). Sailing south east offshore along the Virginia cape to Cape Hatteras on a north west wind. I plan 40 hours for transit from the Chesapeake to Beaufort, and usually beat that time.

Hold in Beaufort if weather threatens, which is common this time of year. You can also ride the intercostal south from Beaufort if you want to make miles while weather passes.

Plan 24 hours for the offshore passage to Charleston or Winyah Bay. Again hold if you like. I find that by the time I have reached Charleston the weather is definitely improving and settling. On the next weather window plan 24 hours offshore to transit Charleston to St Augustine, and another 24 hours to Lake Worth Florida.

From Lake Worth inlet south is pretty simple. Allow two full days to transit to Key West, but there are plenty of distractions along the way.

Offshore navigation between the Chesapeake and Charleston is mostly a matter of staying in 60 feet of water. This will keep you the boat out of the Gulf Stream and away from hazards. There are a couple well charted shoals that will require moving further from shore, but staying in 60 feet of water gets the boat around these as well. From Charleston we usually aim straight for St Augustine, which takes the boat a good distance off shore. Once at Cape Canaveral the current becomes a factor, and we typically hold fairly close to shore the rest of the way.

I hope you have a great time
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west