Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 09:38   #1
Dil

need local knowledge throngs neck NY

Hi all I just bought a boat my first and I need to move it down the LI sound through the east river. In checking my tide charts and times I will need to anchor up somewhere near the throngs neck bridge for the night to catch the slack tide early in the morning at hell gate. Is anchorage free in this area? what would be a good spot?

thanks Dil
Dil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:59   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: need local knowledge throngs neck NY

Port Washington is a beautiful harbor a few miles east of the Throgs Neck Bridge on the south shore of Long Island Sound (north shore of Long Island). Port Washington Water Taxi runs the moorings there. They have about a dozen yellow mooring balls for transients at $25/night, which includes tender service. https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services Port Washington is a great town, but not sure what would be open and available there now. There are good restaurants, grocery and liquor store, and West Marine all available via the tender service.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:11   #3

Boat: Sabre 34II

Hi, I rent a mooring in Manhasset Bay (Port Washington) and I agree with everything the above poster said. You can pick up a guest mooring (yellow colored to the right of the channel as you come into the bay) for the night. Everything is open including water taxi (VHF channel 9), fuel docks, pump out and water dock, and restaurants (take out only). We have sailed to Throgs Neck bridge many times but never gone beyond it, give yourself 45-60 mins to reach the bridge from your mooring in Manhasset Bay.

I intend to go to NYC sometime this summer, would love to hear your opinion and suggestions after you make the trip, you can post it here or PM me.

Good luck.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:27   #4

Boat: Adams 45

I used to be on a mooring in Port Washington, and spent last September there again. The only serious thing about the trip down the East River to NYC, and the return, is timing the currents. You want to be sure about getting that correct. I don't usually see too much traffic in the river itself, but there can be. I stay well off to my side of the passage. The NY Harbor down by the Battery is incredibly busy. Besides the Staten Island ferry you have all the smaller ferry boats, commercial shipping, small boats and sometimes seaplanes. AIS can be useful both to see anything big around the bend, and to let the commercial traffic know where you are. Keep the VHF on and don't hesitate to talk to any concerning shipping.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:36   #5
Dil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
Hi, I rent a mooring in Manhasset Bay (Port Washington) and I agree with everything the above poster said. You can pick up a guest mooring (yellow colored to the right of the channel as you come into the bay) for the night. Everything is open including water taxi (VHF channel 9), fuel docks, pump out and water dock, and restaurants (take out only). We have sailed to Throgs Neck bridge many times but never gone beyond it, give yourself 45-60 mins to reach the bridge from your mooring in Manhasset Bay.

I intend to go to NYC sometime this summer, would love to hear your opinion and suggestions after you make the trip, you can post it here or PM me.

Good luck.
in the evening what direction does the wind generally blow from?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:42   #6

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dil View Post
in the evening what direction does the wind generally blow from?
Lately it’s been southerly, you can get a nice sail out of the bay all the way to the bridge however you have to motor to get into the bay unless your boat sails close to the wind.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 13:19   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I like riding the max current through. You can exceed 10 knots boats speed through hell gate.

Takes just a couple hours to get to the Hudson River.

But the advice you have received above is all correct.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 15:57   #8

Boat: Pearson 303

Catch the current right and you're in for a really fun ride, you'll be through in no time! Be a bit early so you get hell's gate at slack or a bit against you worst case. You want to make sure you stay further out the sound as the noise from LGA is intense! We had our boat at World's Fair for a few years and there's no chance to sleep with the planes every minute (less now I guess).

Definitely second Port Washington, but also have Bayside Marina which I'm sure have a mooring for you, and a quiet and shallow place to anchor if the wind is out of anything but north.

Anything after dark, watch out for the damn barges, both as a tow and in front of a tug they can be a bit sketchy at night.

Port Washington water taxi is (516) 767-1691.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 16:06   #9

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

My marina is about a mile and a half east of the Throgs Neck Bridge on the LI side.
There are a number of anchorages very close to bridge.
Manhasset bay already covered, (the yellow moorings are free the first 2 days).
Anchorages...
Little Bay...directly SE of bridge...closest to bridge, some wakes.
Little Neck bay SE of bridge ...a little further and noise from parkway.
Between City Is and Hart Is... around 3 miles east of bridge.
All good holding in 10-15 ft water, all somewhat exposed depending on wind, if
brisk conditions Manhasset bay is where you want to be, on anchor or mooring.
Or you can pick up a free guest mooring at my marina, ch 71.
Agree with chotu, don't be afraid to ride max. current down river, on my 30 fter I make the approx. 16 miles to the battery in less than 2 hours.
Only do not do river if there is strong wind opposing current as could make for standing waves at Hell gate.
More local info if needed.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 16:51   #10

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Knotical, I keep my boat at Steppingstone marina just south of the SS lighthouse and in a slip in Manhasset bay in early spring and fall.
Cruising down the East River has been covered in depth in many threads on CF, few points come to mind...
Always want to be going with current.
Sailboats want to be west of Roosevelt Is. (low bridge on east side)
Can time/ride current all the way down to Sandy Hook.
I go between North and South Brother Islands (near Rikers and Airport)
As this eliminates 90 degree turn and makes for less excitement with oncoming commercial traffic.
If you can time the current, day cruise down the river, anchor for lunch in the shallows below the Statue of Liberty and ride the current back up the river with the rays from the setting sun coming thru the east/ west streets of the city.
Lots of history also, I posted much details on East river thread if interest.
More info if interest/needed.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 18:07   #11

Great hourly current charts

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruisin...r-planning.php
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 18:21   #12

Boat: Sabre 402

Get a copy of Eldridge's for the currents & tides if you don't already have one.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:42   #13
Dil

Thanks all much appreciated
Old 11-07-2020, 10:25   #14

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Came through the entire East River from Sandy Hook to New Haven this past Wednesday. Compared to our usual trips through there, it was dead quiet! Usually a madhouse but only saw a couple of ferries and one or two other boats. This was about 10:30 in the morning.

You can anchor in Port Washington Just steer clear of the large commercial mooring balls as they will come in to tie up in the middle of the night. We had a tug and barge come in at midnight.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:41   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423

There is one other consideration that rarely occurs but if it does, it can be awkward at best. The west channel by Roosevelt Island can be closed when the UN is in session. This forces you to take the east channel which is a bridge with 45' clearance when closed (IIRC). If you have a barge up your butt and the current pushing you down it might not be much fun. You should be able to verify if this will be an issue through USCG Local Notice To Mariners. Others with more experience might have other suggestions about how to verify. Or maybe your air draft makes this a non-issue.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal