Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 16:58   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
Keeping The Folks Back Home Informed

We are preparing our new boat for a West to East crossing next year (we did this last year also in our previous boat) and are looking for some program that will allow the landlubbers to get on the Internet and see our track. We will have AIS class B transponder, SSB, and may consider renting a sat phone. I know there are lots of apps that show position, but want one that also shows track. The only one I know if is Yellow Brick, but that is kind of expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jim and Sherrin formerly aboard Persistent Lady; soon to be aboard P. L. II. Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-05-2015, 17:01   #2

Boat: Cascade 36
Re: Keeping The Folks Back Home Informed

I believe that the Delorme InReach would be useful in this regard.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 18:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I believe that the Delorme InReach would be useful in this regard.
I second the Delorme Inreach. Here's a recent track of mine to give you an idea: https://share.delorme.com/alize

It was initially set to 4 hourly updates - the last leg from Carins was 2 hourly.

(It also lets you send and receive text messages - we received a text message from home while halfway across the Coral Sea.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 18:48   #4

Boat: Morgan 461

Thanks for the responses. I do think this will be good for us. Looks like it is not too expensive either from initial purchase or monthly fee standpoint. We may even want to get it while cruising the East Coast as for shake down.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:39   #5

Boat: (none)

If your vessel has AIS (transmit), which I think you said it did, they may be able to use this for free:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/
I use it to track some friends adventures since I can't be on the water with them *yet!
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:51   #6

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall.dude View Post
If your vessel has AIS (transmit), which I think you said it did, they may be able to use this for free:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/
I left my AIS on for the trip from the Chesapeake to Florida last fall. I went on the "outside" and the only places that marine traffic saw me was when I came in at Charleston, Savanna and Jacksonville. They don't have enough shore tracking stations and AIS only transmits so far.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 12-05-2015, 09:47   #7

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I like my InReach for it's 100hr battery not to mention Global 24/7 coverage as well as ability to communicate with recovery Team if Emergency occurred. Just some of the benefits.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:49   #8

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher9016 View Post
We are preparing our new boat for a West to East crossing next year (we did this last year also in our previous boat) and are looking for some program that will allow the landlubbers to get on the Internet and see our track. We will have AIS class B transponder, SSB, and may consider renting a sat phone. I know there are lots of apps that show position, but want one that also shows track. The only one I know if is Yellow Brick, but that is kind of expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jim and Sherrin formerly aboard Persistent Lady; soon to be aboard P. L. II. Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
VesselFinder : Free AIS Ship Tracking of Marine Traffic Free AIS Shipping.
Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

I use both, Marine Traffic shows good TRACK~

an EPIRB or Personal Beacon will also send an email to interested parties when configured to do so.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:44   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

An excellent free service called YOTREPS is provided at Pangolin has been going for years. Yacht sends in their position updates and preferably include weather observations by email or radio net. Check out the FAQ section on their web site.

Worth noting is that the site's data are also used by weather forecasters to determine actual weather conditions being experienced and so we all receive better forecasts. Pangolin forwards on all weather reports to US National Weather Service (NWS) immediately they're received.
Old 12-05-2015, 22:06   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
VesselFinder : Free AIS Ship Tracking of Marine Traffic Free AIS Shipping.
Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

I use both, Marine Traffic shows good TRACK~

an EPIRB or Personal Beacon will also send an email to interested parties when configured to do so.
This is misleading:
AIS - works only at VHF ranges. Sometimes long VHF range whem shore antenna is involved, but never in mid-ocean
EPIRB - only for emergency activation, so cannot help as constant info sender.

Satphone, SSB or any dedicated device that uses satellites for communication (e.g. InReach that uses Iridium as a platform) will do.
Old 12-05-2015, 22:40   #11

See my recent post elsewhere. After a year with the InReach it has become my primary offshore communication system and distress system. It's more important to me than my Ham radio, SSB, Satphone and even the EPIRB. I wouldn't even go offshore on someone else's boat without my InReach.

To make it easy on your parents, send them an email from the InReach before you leave. If you are local, send it standing on their patio. That email contains a link to send a reply. Save the email and show them how to click on the link in that email anytime they want to send you a message. Or you could save the link as a bookmark in the browser.

A great feature of the Inreach is that it can be set to beep when there is an unread received message. Mine is turned on all the time plugged in at the chart table (receives/transmits fine through the fiberglass overhead). Folks ashore know I can be reached anytime - like a phone call. So far my Inreach has always sent/received a message within 2 minutes. There's no "out of range", "bad propagation", "bad weather" or "dropped call" to make everyone worry. And it will start beeping on the boat in seconds.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:36   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm interested in this too. We used a yellowbrick that worked ok. It was a loaner so I don't know what the cost and plan costs are. Would anyone with a spot, inreach, yellowbrick etc mind listing the price for the unit and basic plan with tracking?
Also, if anyone has a method for emailing or SMS a lat/long to a server, such as google earth, that will place a mark and comment I think that would be a ballbighter. Or an app that sends an email would work. Maybe something like travel pod. I think iridium go can track but it requires at least a $10/m subscription and tracks prob lay disappear after a year.
There is a NZ weather site that has this feature but it's pretty clunky and I think tracks also disappear after 1yr.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 22:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'm interested in this too. We used a yellowbrick that worked ok. It was a loaner so I don't know what the cost and plan costs are. Would anyone with a spot, inreach, yellowbrick etc mind listing the price for the unit and basic plan with tracking?
Also, if anyone has a method for emailing or SMS a lat/long to a server, such as google earth, that will place a mark and comment I think that would be a ballbighter. Or an app that sends an email would work. Maybe something like travel pod. I think iridium go can track but it requires at least a $10/m subscription and tracks prob lay disappear after a year.
There is a NZ weather site that has this feature but it's pretty clunky and I think tracks also disappear after 1yr.
I purchased my Delorme InReach for about 280.00 US from the
"GPS Store" over the Internet
Pricing was if memory serves me correct about 40.00 per month for 40
Texts and 65.00 for unlimited. Each text sent includes position fix and time stamp. In addition you can register and make available to friends and
Family your track
On the Delorme Share website
Texting is bi-directional so you can receive also
Where it gets a bit interesting is where you buy and register the device
Apparently different home countries have different pricing schemes
Best to call Delorme, They have great customer service
It's a great piece of kit
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:47   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Inreach for sure.

I use mine with an Anker solar changer and now it has an infinite battery life. We recently used it on 4 day crossing. Sent tracks every 30 min plus over 5000 texts in and out(yes my crew has a text problem)

One tip. Look on kijiji, Craigslist or ebay. Many people buy them for one trip and sell them after for 1/2 price.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:58   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Another happy inReach user here. We used it for our three month journey through the Great Lakes last year. Allowed friends and family to keep track of us, and was also great for sending short text messages out to individuals or pre-set groups.

InReach lets you drop from full-service contract mode to a low-price maintenance mode when you don't need the full tracking/sending services. This is good for seasonal cruisers like us.