Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2023, 02:24   #1

How much time needed for Colombia to Fiji?

Hello fellow sailors,

We plan to go from Colombia (St. Marta) to the Marquesas Islands and on to Fij.

How much time do we need to factor in all in all for passages, canal crossings, bunkering, waiting for adequate weather windows, etc.

We are taking it easy and are not in a hurry. Boat is a Lagoon 410.

Maybe also with and without a stop on the Galapagos
schilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 03:13   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: How much time needed for Colombia to Fiji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schilke View Post
Hello fellow sailors,

How much time do we need to factor in all in all for passages, canal crossings, bunkering, waiting for adequate weather windows, etc.

As cruisers a lifetime. You don’t have enough years to find all the treasures in between. A decade of exploring before you even transit the Panama canal. We found we need to do a second cruise around the Caribbean Sea after completing the first one in 18 years because we skipped too much in those 18 years.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 03:38   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

As long as you like.

You will however be best out of the South Pacific by October, Australia, NZ, Australs, North Pacific or equatorial islands.

Get a "proper" ship agent in Panama for the transit.

Excellent provisioning and bunkering in Panama City, Balboa YC

Panama to Marquesas direct about 17 days. (could be much longer).

Getting to Galapagos can be a struggle, light headwinds and adverse current. If you don't sail well to windward take plenty of fuel. Check the current permit requirements on the ground before setting off. They can vary on a day to day basis.

Take time to smell the daisies.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 04:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
As long as you like.

You will however be best out of the South Pacific by October, Australia, NZ, Australs, North Pacific or equatorial islands.

Get a "proper" ship agent in Panama for the transit.

Excellent provisioning and bunkering in Panama City, Balboa YC

Panama to Marquesas direct about 17 days. (could be much longer).

Getting to Galapagos can be a struggle, light headwinds and adverse current. If you don't sail well to windward take plenty of fuel. Check the current permit requirements on the ground before setting off. They can vary on a day to day basis.

Take time to smell the daisies.

Thanks. Do you think two months is fine? I know that its possible just regarding the distance but I don't want to be hurried as we have a 6 months old baby aboard.
Old 24-07-2023, 07:14   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Thanks. Do you think two months is fine? I know that its possible just regarding the distance but I don't want to be hurried as we have a 6 months old baby aboard.

2 months from Panama to Fiji would just be the passages, and probably moving faster than your cat can do. Are you in a hurry? If not, slow down.

Galapagos are very expensive and difficult by private boat. Probably can be missed, or get a permit for a single island and join a tour to experience the rest.

Nobody regrets spending extra time in French Polynesia and it is possible to cruise there during the cyclone season as forecasting is decent and refuge harbours are around. Head for the Australs and Gambiers for less chance of storms during the summer.

Then spend the next winter cruising through Cooks, Niue, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Spend the next cyclone season in Australia (great summer cruising down south and a much easier passage than heading to New Zealand), or head north to Micronesia for the season.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 08:53   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Nowhere near long enough, you will spend the entire time at sea. Bear in mind you really shouldn't leave Panama until March, so baby will be 8 months older by then.

Or, are you planning to leave immediately????

Panama to Fiji you would have to average 120NM per day, everyday for 60 days as the crow flies.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 09:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
2 months from Panama to Fiji would just be the passages, and probably moving faster than your cat can do. Are you in a hurry? If not, slow down.

Galapagos are very expensive and difficult by private boat. Probably can be missed, or get a permit for a single island and join a tour to experience the rest.

Nobody regrets spending extra time in French Polynesia and it is possible to cruise there during the cyclone season as forecasting is decent and refuge harbours are around. Head for the Australs and Gambiers for less chance of storms during the summer.

Then spend the next winter cruising through Cooks, Niue, Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Spend the next cyclone season in Australia (great summer cruising down south and a much easier passage than heading to New Zealand), or head north to Micronesia for the season.

Thanks a lot for the input. I will check those locations out.
Old 24-07-2023, 09:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Nowhere near long enough, you will spend the entire time at sea. Bear in mind you really shouldn't leave Panama until March, so baby will be 8 months older by then.

Or, are you planning to leave immediately????

Panama to Fiji you would have to average 120NM per day, everyday for 60 days as the crow flies.

That is actually pretty true... I honestly haven't thought of that my baby will be that old then :-)
We are not in a hurry.
Old 24-07-2023, 15:49   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

Anyone else remember another Lagoon catamaran making the voyage from Columbia to Fiji?
Schilke have you read World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell, that gives you the distances and seasons for the routes you want.
Cheers
https://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...67f9f3af4c4dba
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 17:52   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Perhaps none of my business, but the combination of a rather naive question and the intention to take on a lengthy voyage with an infant aboard... well, it brings back memories of Rebel Heart's unfortunate journey.

To set our minds at ease, OP, would you give us some idea of your experience level with ocean passages and sailing in general? I try not to be a parade-rainer, but there are some worrying aspects to your plans.

Jim
Old 24-07-2023, 20:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Perhaps none of my business, but the combination of a rather naive question and the intention to take on a lengthy voyage with an infant aboard... well, it brings back memories of Rebel Heart's unfortunate journey.

To set our minds at ease, OP, would you give us some idea of your experience level with ocean passages and sailing in general? I try not to be a parade-rainer, but there are some worrying aspects to your plans.

Jim

I think I was imprecise in my last message. I'm fully aware that this trip cannot be done in 2 months. My question was (supposed to say) if 2 months are typically fine to travel from St. Marta to Ecuador including all provisions, weather window wait, ... to actually set off on the cruise.
Old 24-07-2023, 20:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Anyone else remember another Lagoon catamaran making the voyage from Columbia to Fiji?
Schilke have you read World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell, that gives you the distances and seasons for the routes you want.
Cheers
https://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...67f9f3af4c4dba

What a crazy story. The "extreme alert" type of route I'm gonna take as well: Panama to Colombia for a couple of weeks, then return to Panama and onwardsyto Fiji. I should prepare for a customs visit it seems
Old 25-07-2023, 00:52   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
What a crazy story. The "extreme alert" type of route I'm gonna take as well: Panama to Colombia for a couple of weeks, then return to Panama and onwardsyto Fiji. I should prepare for a customs visit it seems
There is nothing attractive on the Pacific coast of Colombia. Best to avoid. You will attract unwanted attention at both ends.

Want to visit Galapagos? Go to Puerto Lucia Marina near Salinas, Ecuador. Book a tour to Galapagos from Guayaquil - a 2 hour bus ride from the marina. Also a good base to explore inland, Cuenca etc.

My last westbound Pacific crossing was from northern Chile via Papeete/BoraBora/Tonga to NZ. 3 weeks port time en route. Took a little shy of 3 months, 8th May to 28th July. So yes, two months.
Old 25-07-2023, 05:04   #14

Boat: ?

Quote:
Hello fellow sailors,

interesting post.
santa marta isn't exactly a popular starting point.

folks that find themselves in santa marta tend know their **** and already have more than a couple(thousand) miles under their keels ..

anyways..

i can't help with the south pacific...but have cuised colombia and panama.
..and i'm a part time resident of colombia

..and my boat at that time was a lagoon 410.

for how much time..
imo, you prolly dont want to cross to pacific side until march-may..
so you have so time...and treat just colombia and panama is distinct cruising grounds.

so...where you are right is a good place..
i'd explore the interior of colombia from santa marta. (its a beautiful country..any many of us that visited..never left)

..then make your to cartagena...and rosarios

..check with locals in your marina.. but not a big deal hugging the coasts/motoring in calms along coast of colombia.

just be mindful of that river in 'quilla. there is *big* wave potential there (plus debris in river)

i'd time an arrival in san blas to end of rainy season(nov or december)... and then make that home until it is time to cross the canal. (it is beautiful...and you might prefer it over the south pacific once all is done)
..so be well stocked before leaving cartagena

never trust your gps/chartplotter there...

the cruising guide by Eric Bauhaus is imo a requirement for panama... so get a hold of that pronto.

the wave action between colombia and panama is normally confused..and storms will plentiful during rainy season (ie right now)

but your 410 can handle whatever the ocean will throw at it..

i think i'd average 8 knots sailing with "conservative" reefs (be mindful of weather obviously)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 05:37   #15

Boat: Hylas 54

I just did this trip. Left Santa Marta in mid January 2023. Arrived Fiji early June. Stopped in Panama, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Tahiti, Niue, and Tonga along the way. It felt very fast, wished I had stayed longer in many places, but wanted to keep moving with the seasons. IMHO, if you do it any faster you might as well just fly to Fiji.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Colombia, Fiji