Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 15:50   #1

Grenada Ancorages

Are there any plan places to overnight on the north east side of Grenada, are Gouyave / Dequesne possibilities. I will be on a 46' cat trying to make the trip to Carriacou ( orginating from Prickley Bay) as fast and pleasant as possible. Yes I know cats don't point, 6-8 ft seas, and a volcano. Any info and advice is welcome.
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 04:52   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v
Re: Grenada Ancorages

It's only 31nm from St Goerge's to Tyrell Bay, so in lite winds or close haul - 6 hours. Easy sail and keeping to the east of kick'em Jenny and west of Ilhe do Ronda is better.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 05:18   #3

In my experience, Halifax Harbour is the northernmost anchorage on the east side of Grenada that is good and not too rolly. I read that there was suppose to be a new breakwater at Sauteurs, but there is no information I could find on whether that is an acceptable, or viable, anchorage. Maybe someone can add information on Sauteurs. A bunch of folks jumped to their deaths at Sauteurs, so personally I'm not sure how well I would sleep even if it were a good anchorage.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 05:56   #4

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeelliott View Post
Are there any plan places to overnight on the north east side of Grenada, are Gouyave / Dequesne possibilities. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahtcha View Post
In my experience, Halifax Harbour is the northernmost anchorage on the east side of Grenada that is good and not too rolly.
The North West, and the West side of Grenada, or am I confused?

Grenada - Navionics ChartViewer
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 06:13   #5

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahtcha View Post
I read that there was suppose to be a new breakwater at Sauteurs, but there is no information I could find on whether that is an acceptable, or viable, anchorage. Maybe someone can add information on Sauteurs.
Pretty sure we anchored further east of Sauters once, a very long time ago (20+ years). You would need settled weather for that. But we were totally alone out there, tucked in behind the little islands, and it was wild and beautiful.

And rolly too... But we were on a deeper draft boat that didn't roll around as much so a Cat should be ok there too (in the right weather conditions)

North Grenada - Navionics ChartViewer

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:02   #6

Thanks for catching my error. Yes, Halifax Harbour is on the west side of Grenada.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 08:30   #7

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I'm not sure about you guys but where I am from East is not on the west side of the Island.
Halifax Harbour is on the west side of Grenada and is the last suitable anchorage that far north.
If you go in there watch out for the power lines.
The bay is very deep. Go in toward de power lines. You will see the bottom going up to about 15 feet. It will drop down to 25-30 feet very fast. The bottom is like a big speed bumps. So drop the hook on top or the shoreside of the bump. Do attach a buoy to you anchor so the local fisherman don't drop there net over it.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 17:08   #8

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Grenada Anchorages

Nowhere on the east side and even the west side's pretty exposed/rolly at the top end of Grenada. Assuming that you don't want to go all the way to Carriacou, then a better option would be to clear the the top of Grenada and continue north for a further 6-7M then tuck-up on the west side of Ronde Island; not somewhere to be in heavy weather, but great snorkeling a lovely spot in lighter/normal trade wind conditions.
Old 22-08-2019, 17:23   #9

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Grenada Anchorages

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Nowhere on the east side and even the west side's pretty exposed/rolly at the top end of Grenada. Assuming that you don't want to go all the way to Carriacou, then a better option would be to clear the the top of Grenada and continue north for a further 6-7M then tuck-up on the west side of Ronde Island; not somewhere to be in heavy weather, but great snorkeling a lovely spot in lighter/normal trade wind conditions.
Head to Carriacou. I agree with the above accept for the snorkeling BUT I'm coming to realize that that my reference points regarding snorkeling and diving are different from long term carribean cruisers.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:54   #10

Sauteurs is a lovely town and can be a good stop between Carriacou and Saint George's, but only when the weather is good.

This article gives more information about anchoring at Sauteurs:
https://www.spendlifetraveling.com/anchoring-at-sauteurs-grenada
SY No-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada