Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2019, 15:49   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
From Miami to Fernando de Noronha - What´s best route?

Hi folks, I want to go from Miami to Fernando de Noronha island and need informations about best route to go to.
Do anyone help?
Thanks.
Manrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 16:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: From Miami to Fernando de Noronha - What´s best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manrico View Post
Hi folks, I want to go from Miami to Fernando de Noronha island and need informations about best route to go to.
Do anyone help?
Thanks.
if you cross to the azores in may then either turn right or carry on to europe,then in november head south to the cape verdes it is quite an easy trip.

although you do need to check in in mainland brazil first i belive, so heading to receife first gives you a good angle to get back there once you have checked in,then got your permit and paid your park fees to visit fernando.

others find it easier just to leave the boat in forteleza and fly there rather than bash into wind and current to get there,the anchorage in fernando is not that good either
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 17:46   #3

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if you cross to the azores in may then either turn right or carry on to europe,then in november head south to the cape verdes it is quite an easy trip.

although you do need to check in in mainland brazil first i belive, so heading to receife* first gives you a good angle to get back there once you have checked in,then got your permit and paid your park fees to visit fernando.

others find it easier just to leave the boat in forteleza and fly there rather than bash into wind and current to get there,the anchorage in fernando is not that good either
You can check in in Fernando. No need to visit the mainland. We were there in April.

The anchorage indeed sucks, and is sometimes completely untenable. It's also one of the most expensive places in the world. Fees were extortionate, and that's before you've paid the additional park fee to be allowed to visit the better half of the island.

Regarding routing from Miami - indeed Atoll's suggestion is best for winds, but it would also be doable to sail south east across the Caribbean sea, then down the coast to Suriname, Guyana etc. and down from there. Winds on the NE coast of South America are often NE'ly but you'd undoubtedly be close-reaching or close-hauled a lot too. Watch out for the currents and nasty seas produced by the outflow of the Amazon river.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 07:35   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Hi friends, I'm thinking about going down SE by Caribe and far from land, to avoid currents. Fernando de Noronha is a target but final destiny is Florianópolis, a lot far from MIA, I've heard people saying that's going SE from MIA is not wind's easy and I'm going solo. Am I crazy? Should I have a crew? are too many ships there? I have a Cape Dory 28 sailboat.
Sorry my poor english.
Manrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 07:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manrico View Post
Hi friends, I'm thinking about going down SE by Caribe and far from land, to avoid currents. Fernando de Noronha is a target but final destiny is Florianópolis, a lot far from MIA, I've heard people saying that's going SE from MIA is not wind's easy and I'm going solo. Am I crazy? Should I have a crew? are too many ships there? I have a Cape Dory 28 sailboat.
Sorry my poor english.
the boat is good,but even assuming you could get to fernando from miami then you have to beat into the prevailing se trade winds and 2 knot current to go south to you final destination.

forget this madness,aim to be in the azores,june then cape verdes in november-dec,then head direct from there to florinapolis
Old 17-11-2019, 08:32   #6

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Manrico, atoll has fairly well stated it. The old trade ships did a three cornered route to take advantage of the prevailing winds. After my limited coastal work, I find I have great respect for what the winds and current can do when you try and fight them.
I wish you fair winds, no matter which choice you make.
Old 17-11-2019, 12:15   #7

I twice sailed fro North AMerica to Brazil, once to Fernando de Noronha and north and the second time to Cabadello/Pria de Jacare and then south to Uruguay, Argentina and Beagle Channel. As soon as you get south of Recife the wind tends to blow from the NE and follow the coast. Lots of light air.

Inside the 100fathom line there are lots of small fishing boats and drifting gill nets, but staying further offshore is better to avoid them at night, as they are poorly lit.
There is also a lot of oil rigs and oil rig tenders along the coast.
But once south of the eastern most point of Brazil it is an easy sail. There are occasionally strong southeast winds that blow towards the coast, especially during the southern hemisphere winter, so some distance from shore is advisable.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
I twice sailed fro North AMerica to Brazil, once to Fernando de Noronha and north and the second time to Cabadello/Pria de Jacare and then south to Uruguay, Argentina and Beagle Channel. As soon as you get south of Recife the wind tends to blow from the NE and follow the coast. Lots of light air.

Inside the 100fathom line there are lots of small fishing boats and drifting gill nets, but staying further offshore is better to avoid them at night, as they are poorly lit.
There is also a lot of oil rigs and oil rig tenders along the coast.
But once south of the eastern most point of Brazil it is an easy sail. There are occasionally strong southeast winds that blow towards the coast, especially during the southern hemisphere winter, so some distance from shore is advisable.
just to clarify,if coming from the caribean generally boats leave april may-june when the NE trades are lighter,and the convergence zone is further north this also has you arriving during the southern hemisphere winter.

if coming from the cape verdes in dec-jan the ne trades are at their strongest and the convergenze zone is a lot further south this is also the summer in the south atlantic.

Tags
miami, route