Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 10:41   #16

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Fort Pierce to the Keys Observations++++++++++++++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowwaninii View Post
Maybe stating the obvious, but check the tide/wind before departing Ft. Pierce inlet. Incoming tide and offshore wind can result in some pretty nasty square waves at the mouth of the inlet.
It may be obvious, but it is a good thing to hear. Reminders never hurt anyone! Thanks!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:32   #17

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Fort Pierce to the Keys Observations

If you are sailing through Biscayne Bay stop in at Boca Chita island. Great place to rest up and enjoy the views. Don't go there on the weekends or holidays. Very crowded and loud.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:56   #18

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Lots of good info already posted.

Our keys excursions have all been with trailer boats so far but looking forward to making the trip from Stuart with the 33'.

I would add that the Gulf stream tapers in abruptly between Stuart and

Jupiter.

NOAA reports the approximate distance for various locations.

If you have a paddle wheel it is reported that you may be able to find a counter current.

No Name Harbor was already mentioned and I highly suggest it but not on a

weekend. There is a restaurant, public pump out on the wall and a laundry

room a short walk away with restrooms and a beach shower (outdoor).

Spring break can be a bit crazy there as well. (Well worth a $20 park fee for overnight )

We've frequented Boca Chita State Park. A former private island donated to

the state. UNCERTAIN ABOUT YOUR DRAFT THERE THOUGH.( $20 overnight as well)

Most of our fun has been snorkeling the many reefs of

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. I suggest the Christ of the Abyss

statue if you're a snorkeler or a diver. Many of the reefs have public mooring

balls and I'm not certain of the rules but we've spent many nights over on

some of the more protected ones.

Have a great trip!
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:49   #19

Thanks for the great suggestions Secondshift!
Old 12-03-2021, 14:06   #20

Boat: Catalina 36

One other thought you might consider is to head to Stuart and take the Okeechobee Water Way across Florida (Lake Okeechobee) and pop out on the west coast of Florida and head to the keys or Dry Tortugas from there . Limiting factor will 49 foot mast height at the Indiantown RR bridge. Then return to Fort Pierce up the east coast with a favorable current. Gives you a different view of Florida.......just a thought....
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 16:24   #21

I have been going to the Keys on and off for about 40 years. I have been here every year since about 2014. My catamaran is presently anchored off No Name Key about 20 miles from Marathon. I find the keys to be my favorite area in Florida. Finding all around protection for anchoring is pretty hard to find. The NOAA weather forecasts have been unbelievably accurate so moving early to get protection is my plan.

I have done the Okeechobee across Florida and now that I did it once, I don’t plan to do it again. We like the west coast near the Everglades, too. I have been to the Dry Tortugas a few times and may go again soon. Let me know if you need any more input than the incredible help you already got from this list. I expect to be around the lower Keys another month. I always appreciate “local knowledge”. Ken. 406-212-1811
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 19:07   #22

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

I may be different than most boaters but I like going inside almost all the way if I am not in a hurry. Stop at Peck lake, walk to the beach. There are lots of bridges but make a cheat sheet in advance with the distances and watch your plotter and you will get to the bridges as they open. Spend a night or two in Boca Lake (not on a weekend) and go out there or five miles south at Hillsborough inlet. If your mast is higher than 56 feet you can not go inside all the way anyhow. The traffic and bridges in Ft Lauderdale and Miami make it not a fun place. Come in Miami or Stilts ville and go inside as far as the 7 mile bridge. You can not get outside past there. Lots of great anchorages along the way. I have done this rout probably ten times and if not in a hurry it is really fun. After going through Card Sound bridge, turn right (west) and anchor off the gap in the trees. Dingy through the gap and have a fantastic meal at Alabama Jacks. We get the sampler for one and it feeds us for two days. There are dingy docks where you can walk to West marine and Publix. Unless I am in a hurry, I stay out of the ocean side. I like anchoring anywhere I like at night and no hurry getting to the next place.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 21:22   #23

I can’t believe I forgot to mention that dodging lobster and crab floats is pretty much all the time in the Keys. I hear it’s worse in Maine. It has forced me to mainly move during daylight. It’s 100 miles to Dry Tortugas from here. I have to be really moving all day to make it. We have stopped at Key West, Boca Grande, and Marquesa.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 04:50   #24

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

I believe I read that the OP has a 5 1/2’ draft? Inside below Biscayne Bay not recommended. You MIGHT only touch sandy bottom but nail-biting is not my favorite kind of sailing.
I would agree about tucking into the north end of Biscayne Bay and exploring. But I would go back out at the north end as well. At the south end the exit is Angelfish Creek. And, again, you might well make that. But it will be another nail-biter. I prefer to avoid the stress.
At Key Largo, on the outside, you can anchor at Rodriguez Key If the wind direction and strength is cooperating. Dinghy to food and provisions on the western shore. From there I would push on to Marathon,
then Key West.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 07:48   #25

Thank you Willy, Ken, CaptnKnopf, and RichAndHelen. I really appreciate the time you and the others took. I have my yellow legal pad and have written down all of the suggestions.

Willy, I like the idea of the Okeechobee Waterway but alas, the boat I am taking is not mine, and the air draft will prevent that. I will however try that with mine later this year or early next. My air draft is a little over 40'.

RichAndHelen, I agree with you completely about not wanting to touch bottom. I looked at the keel and I am guessing around 6'6". I have been looking at the charts and have ruled out a number of places.

Ken, Maine is just crazy with crab floats. I was wondering if there are any here and I appreciate that information. I think you will find this video interesting!

We are leaving, in theory, this Monday, and heading to the keys and Dry Tortugas. The good news is that we have no schedule and no plan. In fact, our plan is to have no plan and we are sticking to that! I am looking forward to checking out at least some of the places all of you suggested, including Alabama Jacks.

Thanks again everyone for your very helpful information.
Old 13-03-2021, 17:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Some good comments, one observation; the Gulf Stream can be very close in; watch temp's; we often run the 10 fathom curve south of Velcro Beach...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 04:49   #27

Re: Fort Pierce to the Keys Observations++++++++++++++++++++

Avoid Jupiter and Haulover inlets very difficult. Most charts have a note about both inlets being NOT recommended for sailboats.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 04:58   #28

Gulf Stream current runs in close, yes, 10 fathoms = 60 ft. If u feel comfortable, I’d come in a bit closer, as the shallower the water, the less current and there may be an opportunity to catch a southern flow “eddy”, which will increase SOG. I’d be more concerned with water depth than temperature to determine proximity to strong north current. Be careful around Ft. Lauderdale & Miami, as the freighters and large yachts anchor very close in (30 to 60 ft or so), due to sharp drop off of water depth. AIS and Radar plus keen visual watch will keep u out of trouble. Keys can be very treacherous, tricky, coral, water depths quickly changing, Current eddys, etc. Most newer plotters will show current direction... Have fun!!!
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 05:06   #29

Thank you Scott and StMurray62. Thank you everyone who commented; the comments have been very helpful, and I greatly appreciated the time you took to post them.

In theory, the boat is being splashed today at noon. I have made notes of all the comments and put them in my charts (yes, paper charts! I do have a chart plotter though). I will get to make use of your knowledge soon! Thanks again!
Old 15-03-2021, 05:58   #30
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
If you are sailing through Biscayne Bay stop in at Boca Chita island. Great place to rest up and enjoy the views. Don't go there on the weekends or holidays. Very crowded and loud.
actually .. don't do anything near shore on weekends or holidays