Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 05:34   #16

Boat: CT-41
Re: Windlass for CT-41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
check ypur roller and sprit clearance--i found my bruce is a tight fit, and the new fangled ones havent been holding any better in this anchorage or in mazatlan than a bruce....from what i have seen ---might have to modify stuff up on your sprit to fit it, but i am not certain. the choice sounds good tho---do not rid yourself of your manual windlass--you could well end up needing it.....if you do choose to rid self of it--bring it to me--i will buy it from ye.
Okay Zee,

It looks like my CQR is too small at 45lbs anyway you look at it. I can replace it with a bigger CQR like yours, or a new dangled hook. Sounds like I need a Bruce too - that's a big claw right? When do you use the Bruce and when do you use the CQR?

The Deal at Minney's is for a Lofrans Tigres 1200watt setup for 5/16" chain. I have heard only good things about this windlass. It has a manual mode, so it can act as a manual windlass as well, if the electric craps out... Do you think 5/16" chain would be sufficient?

I don't see myself taking the motorcycle down to San Diego from Long Beach and trying to lug 450lbs of chain on it I'll engage in that kind of silliness when I'm cruising...
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 05:38   #17

Boat: CT-41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've always been impressed with the Lofrans windlass, anodized not painted too.
Do use this windlass? The Tigres?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:32   #18

I've not had one, but admired them from afar! Nice big mainshaft, no flaky paint etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 11:46   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

luke--your cqr and chain is ok--a bruce of 66 pounds(30 kg) is perfect for cruising mexican waters and catalina. bruce loves rocky and sandy muddy stuff--buries itself down into it and hooks the rocks for extra grab-- the cqr will move a lot more on ye-- but with all chain--i do use 5/16 despite my friend's suggestion to go 3/8--when i get another windlass it will be 3/8 gypsy so i have both and each handy--ye never know--this coat is good for bruce. knockoffs arent good--try to find original bruce.
the lofrans windlass at minneys is larger than the one i have (electric) my electric is too small for boat and awaits exchange for another bronze manual..with larger gypsy..
luke--if you are coming this way, prepare for 40 kt winds and 4 ft seas in some anchorages--and these are protected..LOL... 25 ft water. the places to visit are worthy of this bs anchorage situation, so dont hesitate to visit--cruisers do help when a boat decides to go walkabout. bottom is sand or mud with rocks. mud is rare and sand more prevalent--rocksamighty. glad ye have a boat like mine--you will love the biiiig winds off cabo--just north is a gust location --chubasco-ville, it seems--loved it in our boats...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 12:01   #20

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

I don't see them mentioned often here, but we've been really pleased with our Ideal windlass. (IDEAL WINDLASS COMPANY) When we bought our boat, the original equipment vertical windlass looked like it needed a little TLC. The guys I talked to were very helpful, rehabbed the windlass for a reasonable price and got it back to us quickly. Once you're set on your ground tackle, it may be worth a call to see what their options are as well.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 13:16   #21
J_m

Boat: 1987 Hughes H40 Ketch

We just replaced our windlass with a Lofrans Tigress. Very happy with it and see it on many boats in our parts. Found the best price from an outfit in FL: Boat equipment- sailboats, fishing, electronics, electrical, rigging, navigation (for the Lofrans, but not on the other brands).
J_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windlass