Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 23:48   #121

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Who Needs a Snubber, Anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Thanks- good information! currently it's 5/8" with the 5/16 chain, seems like splicing the additional line is the best approach and we can save the snubber for shallower anchoring. Yeah I guess it's about time to get that book, been hearing about it for years.
If you're going to give the Irony Splice a try, plan on doing several practice ones, as it's more involved than doing your usual 3-strand splices. And one of the barriers to doing it well is that the fibers in each lay of the rope's 3 strands want to seperate from one another. Or to put it another way, "friz out" a bit, while you're trying to splice them.

So one trick to use is to pick up some hair gel, & soak/coat each of the rope's 3 strands in it, so that the fibers all stick together when doing the splice. Then once you're done splicing, you can just rinse the stuff out of the rope.

Otherwise, even when you're proficient at doing this splice, the individual fibers trying to "escape" gets to be a pain in the rear. So agents like hair gel make life (& splcing) easier.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:51   #122

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Who Needs a Snubber, Anyway?

on my 10 meter boat I was anchored in 15' of water. The wind was blowing at a bout 50 knots sustained with stronger gusts. The waves were steep and of a short duration. Of the boat that were anchored some had all chain and some had snubbers. I had 5/8" three strand with 4 meters of chain. At some point all of us had our anchor rodes stretched taught. I sat on the bow watching mine for chafe when I saw the wind shift and align itself with the short steep seas. I noticed that a steel boat with all chain set at shallow angle ( I don't know how much chain he had out) would take quite a shock load. It is my belief that the shock load was both on the boat - which was visible - and the anchor. After about 20 minutes of this the anchor pulled out. The anchor had been well set because it had held for 2 hours. It is my opinion that the shock load ripped the anchor out of the ground. Of the boats that end up holding in those conditions 4 of 12 two of us had mostly rope rhodes. The boat and the cantenary effect stretched probably 30' to 40'. I think that this kept my anchor in the ground. Ken's system which I have seen is great. I use 15' of 5/8" three strand on my 21k lb 41' boat. I keep wanting to increase the length to 30' but have not gotten around to it. I believe in the shock absorber effect as being beneficial.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote