Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2021, 20:52   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
West Marine vs Amazon lines/fenders - what am I missing?

I made post about fenders before but was looking at dock lines and came across something like the below. Amazon - $40 for a 4 pack. $45 for 1 25’ line. I get that with this and fenders you want something good as it is protecting your boat or securing your boat but it’s pretty materially different in price. Seems like lines and fenders are some things that I find to be pretty easy to manufacture and have a lot of margin in them at the big box stores.

DC Cargo Mall 4 Marine-Grade Double-Braided Dock Lines | 1/2” X 20’ Double-Braided Nylon Dock Line with 12” Eyelet | Dock Line for Boats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5F97PX...51EXWG3QSBXB8C
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 23:30   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: West Marine vs Amazon lines/fenders - what am I missing?

Did you notice that several reviews reported early failure of these lines? I'd be worried just a bit.

And if you are a serious sailor, consider just buying line and doing your own splicing of loops, or just use a bowline. You have control over the quality that way and learning to splice will stand you in good stead in the future.

Jim
Old 02-05-2021, 23:48   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Did you notice that several reviews reported early failure of these lines? I'd be worried just a bit.

And if you are a serious sailor, consider just buying line and doing your own splicing of loops, or just use a bowline. You have control over the quality that way and learning to splice will stand you in good stead in the future.

Jim
Still an average 4.8 stars over 348 reviews. That said, I’ll probably not sure for my boat but still interesting to see that we haven’t seen a direct to consumer approach in the marine industry. I suppose there just isn’t the volume to support it.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:10   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, just how many of those five star reviews were made after a lengthy usage of the lines? Sure, the lines look great when they come out of t he package, and they do "tie up the boat", but how do they hold up in a couple of years and the big storm that comes then? Good quality double braid nylon is good for years of abuse... I wonder about these examples.

If the splicing of double braid is too much to contemplate, three strand nylon is really easy to splice, is cheaper and has better stretch. Perhaps to some it isn't as attractive, but we're not in a concours de elegance, we're tying up our pride and joy! I have used both over the years, and actually like the three strand better for shorter lines due to greater elasticity... and it is fine for the longer springs, too.

Jim
Old 03-05-2021, 03:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

As a rigger, I work with rope all day, and have spliced many different brands. I can tell you that the variety in quality is as great as the variety in price. Never, ever buy rope for anything meaningful from a second-tier brand.
While the markup may seem obscene, it's still worth, IMO buying dockline material from New England Ropes (they're the best at this sort of line), and carried by every West Marine. It's not just how it looks and handles initially (though the difference in splicing new good-quality rope vs bad rope is night and day), it's how it wears and lasts long-term.
If you go online for rope, make sure it's from a decent brand: Yale, NER, Samson, Marlow. Avoid the junk like Novabraid, Lehigh, Lanex, and whatever Home Depot puts n their roll racks.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:03   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

Looks like good value for money. I like SeaSense Double Braid Nylon Dock Line, Gold/White x 1/2-Inch. I also like the Taylor Made dock fenders and fender lines.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:07   #7

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

amazon doesn't put the work "marine" or "marine grade" in the title- so its much cheaper.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:14   #8

Honestly, the high star ratings are all raving about the price and the looks (color), or the hand feel (of course they feel good it's double-braid). One person gives a 5 star followed by "Can't wait to use them".

On the other hand, the bad reviews include 2 lines that parted after 1 day. 1 line that started fraying with the core bulging after one day, and one that washed the line and had it fray horribly.

Stick with quality line manufactures like Samson or New England Rope.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:26   #9

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I bought a dock line through Amazon. It looks and feels great (lovely and soft; very supple). However it pills terribly and I'm quite concerned about it's overall durability and strength.

Never again.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:39   #10

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

I have bought spec'd brands on Amazon for the price advantage and been very pleased. Once again, know what you are buying by specification.
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:41   #11

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

They are cheap dock lines until the eye splice comes undone. Or the fender plastic hardens and mars your hull finish. Shop the retailers for best price on quality stuff.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

For running rigging, use the best stuff available. Dock lines have a limited life and in practical use any line will do, cheap or expensive.

You will need to pay attention to wear and chafing anyway, and add lines for storm conditions, so for a diligent boat owner it almost doesn't matter whether it's quality or quantity and it's probably a good idea to have both.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:43   #13

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

I have some Amazon special docklines. Picked them up last fall when I got my boat as I needed a bunch of stuff and I needed it quickly so dockline shopping ended up on Amazon. My approach was to upsize the lines off what I would have bought otherwise. So I have 8 25ft 5/8 double braid nylon pre-made dock lines. The 5/8 line is as big as I wanted to go with my cleats on the boat (but really 1/2" line would have been fine). So far I have been impressed and have zero concerns about them at least for the short term. This year I will be making my own permanent docklines to stay in my slip, and the Amazon lines will stay on the boat for use away from my home slip.

BTW, this past weekend was crazy windy in Chesapeake bay, and had upper 40 to lower 50 knot gust at time pretty much right on the beam in the slip (6 pilling fixed pier). The Amazon line were easily up to the task and I didn't worry about them. Now if I hade went with the suggested 1/2 line, then I probably would have been more concerned about the line quality.

Just a little real world experience. I don't have the exact brand you linked, but suspect quality is pretty similar
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:12   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I made post about fenders before but was looking at dock lines and came across something like the below. Amazon - $40 for a 4 pack. $45 for 1 25’ line. I get that with this and fenders you want something good as it is protecting your boat or securing your boat but it’s pretty materially different in price. Seems like lines and fenders are some things that I find to be pretty easy to manufacture and have a lot of margin in them at the big box stores.

DC Cargo Mall 4 Marine-Grade Double-Braided Dock Lines | 1/2” X 20’ Double-Braided Nylon Dock Line with 12” Eyelet | Dock Line for Boats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5F97PX...51EXWG3QSBXB8C
Remember that dock lines for most owners will be in the elements 24/7/365, so quality/longevity is paramount.

To make any serious judgement on dock lines you have to compare apples to apples. What brand, model, length, diameter, breaking strength, three-strand (recommended for more stretch) or braided (single or double), and even color. Do a Google search with those specs and check the prices to find the best deal.

Comparing brands is more difficult but comparing the basics of breaking strength will go a long way. I am still using most of the running rigging I purchased for my boat in 2007...its New England Stay Set.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:14   #15

Boat: csy 37

what are you missing? maybe your boat.
we bought a 600ft spool of 3 strand on amazon to secure seversl boats
our sailing club owns. 22 to 30 feet. after a bad storm all the boats
were lost.

i've had bad luck with chinese "stainless steel" too. not really stainless.
foolishly bought if for a new topping lift. rusted in a month.

i've also discovered that when you order a name brand something on amazon
you may get a cheap copy. there are various 'suppliers' and not all of them
are honest.

now i only buy 'junk' stuff on amazon that i'm not depending on.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, marine