Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 23:44   #226

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Ben,

I have spent the last week 'digging' deeply into the Manson re-set issue with my camera rolling. I have one more test to conduct (hopefully tomorrow) and then I will post the results.

Stay tuned......

Steve
Thanks Steve. Its an incredibly useful finding. Hopefully its still much better than the CQR anchors I am used to in this regard, and a little bit of doubt is always a good safety thing to have when anchored!

I do remember Jonothan Neeves reports of similar things but he seemed to imply that the debris washed off reasonably quickly and then the anchor reset ok once clean. Your videos seem to show it not cleaning, and not resetting at all?

One thing ive sometimes wondered is what happens to any trapped air in the rollbar. Its not much buoyancy , but if it fills with water it could effect the ballance underwater slightly?
Old 31-03-2016, 02:19   #227

Hrm, assuming its roughly 20mm id pipe then it has about 200grams or 1/2 a pound of buoyancy. Probably not a big factor!
Old 31-03-2016, 06:37   #228

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

My Manson Supreme anchor has a small hole drilled in the underside of the rollbar at the top. Presumably, to let air escape.

Both ends of the rollbar are wide open. I have found seabed packed into these openings on occasion.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:57   #229

Old 02-04-2016, 04:51   #230

Very very interesting steve. I am thinking I might have to lose the rock slot! A shame as its a feature I really like. But I can see how the big jump in tip weight would really help setting and resetting.

The hydrobubbles little float doesn't seem so strange to me now! It would be interesting to see how chain weight effects things. Prehaps a length of 8mm g4 chain would help? Also it would be interesting to compare the shank weights beween different sizes of manson supreme. Maybe the bigger anchors will have a higher tip weight percentage?

Ive played around with a modification to my Bruce to increase the area by slipping a plate over the fluke. Still at theplywood mockup stage...

Top work Steve, many thanks.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:21   #231

Today I measured my 60lb manson. It has a 20mm shank vs your 45 pounders 16mm (approx) shank, so thats roughly a 25% increase.

Its approx 130mm vs 92mm wide so about 30% wider.

Most of the other dimensions are about 10% greater with the stock height only being 5% more and the throat depth about 7% more.

The anchor should be a 10% scale up allround to give the correct 33% jump in weight, this also gives a 21% jump in surface area.

But anyway the point is that I was kind of hoping the 60lb anchor would have a lighter shank as a proportion of its weight, but unfortunately it would seem my shank is a much heavier proportionally than the 45 pounder.

Though for some reason the shank also is slightly lower?

How this plays out is anybodys guess. Strange that its not a straight 10% enlargement all over. That would give a 17.5mm thick shank,

Maybe to get the required strength for lloyds the shank needed to be much heavier?

Also I noted that it doesn't have a air vent hole. Strange.

Anyway, enough anchor geekery from me...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46   #232

Ah c'mon Snow, embrace your inner anchor geek. Get that anchor in the water and drive the boat back and forth a dozen times (preferably with a GoPro attached) and give us the scoop!

Steve
Old 04-04-2016, 19:26   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Ah c'mon Snow, embrace your inner anchor geek. Get that anchor in the water and drive the boat back and forth a dozen times (preferably with a GoPro attached) and give us the scoop!

Steve
Ha, wish I was in a position to at the moment... Still no windlass, chain locker or solid bow roller. Ive got some nice chain and an anchor ready to go, but more urgent jobs are calling. But just incase, what sort of gopro are you running? Would the cheaper gopro hero work?
Old 04-04-2016, 22:09   #234

I'm using a GoPro Hero3+.

It was a gift from my wife.

We can be certain that she did not have anchor videos on her mind when she bought it.

Steve
Old 05-04-2016, 17:14   #235

Boat: Mustang 3800

Fantastic effort and thread Steve, well done!!

I have recently just bought the Rocna Vulcan which is similar in shape to the spade, I hope to try it this weekend and see how it performs. If only you lived a little closer as I would gladly send it to you for testing

Keep up the excellent work and I hope your interest in this topic remains and more videos are forthcoming
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:06   #236

Thanks gus.

Might be easier for me to send you my GoPro camera

There will be more anchor videos coming. However, the pace of testing will be much more relaxed than previous.

Steve
Old 06-04-2016, 16:53   #237

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Steve,

Thanks again for all your work, especially for helping dispel the myth of the concave vs convex (scoop vs "plough") silliness that has been aired on CF for so long. As they say, seeing is believing👍
A good anchor design (geometry, materials and balance) has real advantages, as you have shown and described. Was pleased to see the Excel made your finalist selection, which confirmed my research for a cruisers anchor as well.

FWIW I've been thinking the aluminium Excel seems like it would be an excellent stern kedge anchor since it is light, strong and easily disassembles into 2 pieces (shaft through foot plate) for storage, and so would be a good option in addition to the Fortress. It may offer better seabed penetration than the Fortress such as coral rubble or mixed rocky areas?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:21   #238

Right steve, got the gopro (hero3 white ed on sale), do you have any tips on how to set it up. What resolution and angle settings work best, and do you use any auxilary lighting? Hopefully this isn't all top secret patented technology!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2016, 19:50   #239

When the anchor is stationary, it is easy to get the camera pointed correctly. But when things are in motion, it is a crap-shoot weather or not you get anything in the frame. Therefore, I use the 1080 SuperView setting. SuperView is basically a wider angle in both height and width. In this setting, the edges of the frame are stretched and somewhat distorted but I figure this is a fair trade for catching the most action possible.

I do not use any auxiliary lighting.

I'll let you figure out the "side view" camera set-up. Can't give away ALL my secrets

Steve
Old 07-04-2016, 02:24   #240

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Bravo Steve. You have put so much work into this and perfected a reasonable setup so i don't think you should be giving too many details away. We are all impressed by yr reports and long may they continue. I hope that somehow you manage to get more rewards than just admiration from the sailing community.
Andrew

Tags
anchor