Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 11:52   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Wait, what kind of windlass did ya order..?

The Sea Tiger is out of production. Muir makes a copy that looks good but ain't worth a damn. I bought one and mounted on my boat but the chain slipped off the gypsy (Yes correct size gypsy for the chain in case somebody thought it never occured to me to check)

I took the Muir off, gave it back to the dealer and ordered a brand new Sea Tiger instead.

Had a used Sea Tiger before that episode that I took apart and overhauled, but I put too much grease into it and after a while some little spring got stuck or some such thing. I sold it for $500.00 to a guy that regreased it. I got tired of taking the thing apart so instead of trying to fix mine, or buy another used one I put a brand new 555 on the boat.

That being said, if yer anchor is 35 lbs or less, ya may not need a windlass.
I sailed for years without one.
The reason I put a windlass on the boat in the first place was that I went to all chain rode and a 55 lbs anchor.
Old 28-02-2008, 11:54   #17
cruiser

Yeah, I think you see now how I am in a bit of a rush!

It's her vacation from the freezing snow of Maine to the FL Keys. She's not at all demanding and will "use the facilities" over the leward rail if need be, pour water out of jugs (instead of having plumbing), and that kind of stuff.

But... I'd like to make it a nice break in the sunshine for her. No woodstoves to tend and just a nice time.

That's why there's a hint of urgency in my posts. ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 11:57   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Wait, what kind of windlass did ya order..?

The Sea Tiger is out of production. Muir makes a copy that looks good but ain't worth a damn. I bought one and mounted on my boat but the chain slipped off the gypsy (Yes correct size gypsy for the chain in case somebody thought it never occured to me to check)

I took the Muir off, gave it back to the dealer and ordered a brand new Sea Tiger instead.

Had a used Sea Tiger before that episode that I took apart and overhauled, but I put too much grease into it and after a while some little spring got stuck or some such thing. I sold it for $500.00 to a guy that regreased it. I got tired of taking the thing apart so instead of trying to fix mine, or buy another used one I put a brand new 555 on the boat.

That being said, if yer anchor is 35 lbs or less, ya may not need a windlass.
I sailed for years without one.
The reason I put a windlass on the boat in the first place was that I went to all chain rode and a 55 lbs anchor.
I got the Royal manual windlass. Wasn't a tough choice, it's the only one made these days, except some fancy ornamental brass one made here in FL somewhere. More for "yachts" than boats.

I do need the windlass for 55lbs Delta and a bunch of 3/8" BBB chain. Once you start anchoring anywhere deep with that, you have 55lbs of anchor plus all of that chain to pull up off the bottom. Can be pretty tough. Plus, the wife is the anchor tender. She doesn't like being at the helm for anchor retrieval and enjoys the workout of a manual windlass.
Old 28-02-2008, 12:01   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I know a fella that seems to be extremely knowledgable in where, and who to get things done in Miami, and Lauderdale....PM me if you want to call me. I will see him tonight........John
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:04   #20

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
CYS, the only thing left to do on my 555 rebuild is to fill it with grease, how much did you put in. I certainly dont want to have an issue after the time and money I put into rebuilding the darn thing...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:09   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I know a fella that seems to be extremely knowledgable in where, and who to get things done in Miami, and Lauderdale....PM me if you want to call me. I will see him tonight........John
Thanks, John.

I just might take you up on that.

One more problem I am having is #^@&ing propane. You may not have been on the forum yet but there were many times I had complained on here about hating propane and wishing I could take my Galley Maid alcohol stove to my next boat.

Well... my hate for the "devil gas" is as strong as ever.

I spent 3-4 hours today trying to get some propane. MAN does propane suck.

First, the place to fill up is 1/2 hour away.
Second, when I got there, they said, "we can't fill those tanks!" No OPD.
Third, they sent me to Amerigas, which is another 1/2 hour away to get OPDs put on.
Fourth, Amerigas can get my OPD's on, no problem... maybe in the next 2 weeks!!!!

NOW does everyone see why propane sucks @ss??

It's impossible to deal with from a boat. Without a rental car, there would have been no way for me to even come as close as I did to getting my tanks almost filled.

I have very little propane left and have some major time (months) at anchor coming up.

So... if your guy has any connections to anyone near South Miami or Key Largo that can either fill non-OPD tanks, or get OPDs put on existing tanks, please do give a shout on PM.

I just cleared out the inbox.
Old 28-02-2008, 12:20   #22

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
can you fit a regular "gasgrill" style/size bottle in your propane locker. I had to have a valve changed on a small aluminum tank last year for the boat I sold. Never used the propane on the boat. It was for water heat only and the boat had a non pressurized alcohol 2 burner stove that I hated filling the "burners". Our boat now uses 2 tanks that I can exchange at home depot, wal mart, etc. I know it is a PITA to get propane filled even living ashore with a vehicle.

When do you plan to head north and will you come thru the Chesapeake
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:23   #23

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
for a temp fix you can get an adapter and a few 1lb bottles, better than nothing.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:46   #24

Quote:
CYS, the only thing left to do on my 555 rebuild is to fill it with grease, how much did you put in. I certainly dont want to have an issue after the time and money I put into rebuilding the darn thing...
Well, I pretty much packed a whole jar of grease in there.
Make sure ya use Salt Water Resistant Wheel Bearing Grease.
The tech guy on the phone told me about that kind of grease. They sell it
at Ace hardware for a few bucks..I think it was yellow or green in color.

Also, ya need to use light oil on some of the parts before ya apply the grease.

I guess the solution would be to keep grease away from the little tinny parts, such as the springs.

Good luck
Old 28-02-2008, 12:48   #25

Quote:
So... if your guy has any connections to anyone near South Miami or Key Largo that can either fill non-OPD tanks, or get OPDs put on existing tanks, please do give a shout on PM.
Well, if ya drive North to Fl. Lauderdale, my gas-place will do it while-u-wait. It was painless...
Old 28-02-2008, 12:58   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Right around the corner from Sailorman is a gas place?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:08   #27

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
I do need the windlass for 55lbs Delta and a bunch of 3/8" BBB chain. Once you start anchoring anywhere deep with that, you have 55lbs of anchor plus all of that chain to pull up off the bottom. Can be pretty tough. Plus, the wife is the anchor tender. She doesn't like being at the helm for anchor retrieval and enjoys the workout of a manual windlass.
Damn! Sean you are a lucky man.
Plus

Quote:
She's not at all demanding and will "use the facilities" over the leward rail if need be, pour water out of jugs (instead of having plumbing), and that kind of stuff.
It sounds like you are a lucky man !
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:10   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post

Given that the parts are in Scotland

Simpson-Larence “SEATIGER” 555 Windlass Manual:
http://en.lewmar.com/support/PDF/S-L...er-D1031-1.pdf

At the bottom is a Jay Stuart-Haft Co. in Bradenton, FL.
No parts there?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:58   #29

Quote:
Right around the corner from Sailorman is a gas place?
Nah, that gas place is bad and boycotted by some of us as they doubled their prices after the last big hurricane when power was out and everbody came in to get propane gas..Screw 'em.

The other gas place is on Federal Highway across from Kinko's and close to Sears. Boyld or Boyd gas, they are good and have always been helpful.
Old 28-02-2008, 14:06   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Nah, that gas place is bad and boycotted by some of us as they doubled their prices after the last big hurricane when power was out and everbody came in to get propane gas..Screw 'em.

The other gas place is on Federal Highway across from Kinko's and close to Sears. Boyld or Boyd gas, they are good and have always been helpful.
Ahhh... if only I knew ahead of time there was a place up there that filled non OPD gas cylinders. I could have done that up there.

Well, maybe I can try them when I go back up past FLL on the way home. Will need a rental car again just to fill propane if I go with that plan.
What a PITA propane is. Unreal.