Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 14:07   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Damn! Sean you are a lucky man.
Plus

It sounds like you are a lucky man !
Yeah... not bad for a South Shore chick, huh? ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:23   #32
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Ahhh... if only I knew ahead of time there was a place up there that filled non OPD gas cylinders. I could have done that up there.
No, they don't fill containers without the new safety valves, but they DO change the valve while ya wait..

I like propane gas...Previous boat had alcohol stove which I used for a year, then changed to Kerosene stove..Been there done that.

Propane can be deadly for sure, but I am careful with the stuff, turn the bottles off, have the safety gear, etc.
The upside is how long the tanks last: I got 2 Alu 20 pounders and fill 'em once every 2 or 3 years. (I should sail more...I know)
Old 28-02-2008, 14:31   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
No, they don't fill containers without the new safety valves, but they DO change the valve while ya wait..

I like propane gas...Previous boat had alcohol stove which I used for a year, then changed to Kerosene stove..Been there done that.

Propane can be deadly for sure, but I am careful with the stuff, turn the bottles off, have the safety gear, etc.
The upside is how long the tanks last: I got 2 Alu 20 pounders and fill 'em once every 2 or 3 years. (I should sail more...I know)
Ha ha... yeah... well maybe you aren't the kind of guy cooking up a complicated meal in the boat. Two 20 pounders is a lot of propane though. I could see that lasting a long time.

I will definitely try these guys out when I get back up to FLL if they can screw a couple of new OPDs on there for me. The tanks I have are decent aluminum ones too. I'd rather keep them.
Old 28-02-2008, 14:39   #34

Quote:
Ha ha... yeah... well maybe you aren't the kind of guy cooking up a complicated meal in the boat.
Actually we do cook at least twice a day.
Mostly for pasta potatoes and veggies.
The barbie on the stern gets the meat job...Them little bottles goes fast.
Old 28-02-2008, 14:42   #35

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sean:

For the price of renting a car look around for an old steel tank. I have a couple sitting here on the property. Then trade it in at the supermarket for one of those full tanks at the grocery store. Its cheaper than changing out the valves at least where I am. Don't Marinas in Florida have propane. Canada BC, WA OR and CA many of them do.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I do need the windlass for 55lbs Delta and a bunch of 3/8" BBB chain. Once you start anchoring anywhere deep with that, you have 55lbs of anchor plus all of that chain to pull up off the bottom. Can be pretty tough. Plus, the wife is the anchor tender. She doesn't like being at the helm for anchor retrieval and enjoys the workout of a manual windlass.
After 16 months at sea on the hook almost the whole time with a 66lb Rocna and 300' of 3/8" BBB I am done with the Sea Tiger. I am thinking of trying to rig up a DC motor to my existing Sea Tiger but as time passes I start thinking I might just plop down the cash on a Lofrans Tigress :-( it kills me to spend the money but my ground tackle is waaaay too heavy. I think if I had the 45lb anchor with the 5/16 HT everyone else in boats my size seems to have I would be fine with the Sea Tiger but I want electric now :-(

Another issue is we're heading to the Marquesas next and according to people I know who are there, the anchorages are deep and tenuous. I want to be able to get the big gear up quick if need be. In the Sea of Cortez it was more of a de-motivator thing. peole are having a party the next anchorage over and I dont want to go because I would have to crank up my gear ;-)

So either look for an aftermarket conversion kit (if I am industrious enough) or more likely for a Sea Tiger on the classified list once I pay for my new Tigress.
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 15:16   #37

Quote:
on the classified list once I pay for my new Tigress.
I bought a Tigress on the internet a few years ago..(For a friend)
Got a really got price from a company in Seattle. They had it drop-shipped to
my address from the importer. No inventory, cheap prices...Way to go.
(The Falcon have more power for a few hundred $ more, with that heavy anchor gear, perhaps more power is better?)
Old 28-02-2008, 15:40   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I bought a Tigress on the internet a few years ago..(For a friend)
Got a really got price from a company in Seattle. They had it drop-shipped to
my address from the importer. No inventory, cheap prices...Way to go.
(The Falcon have more power for a few hundred $ more, with that heavy anchor gear, perhaps more power is better?)

Yikes,

The MSRP for The Tigress is ~$3k the MSRP for the Falcon is >$5k that is not "a few hundred more" and while 2300 lbs power is more appealing than 1500lbs my current Sea Tiger does the trick and I almost never have to use the 1100lb low gear.

I would prefer the bigger one but it would mean 2 months less cruising and we're on a tight tight budget ;-(

Cheers,
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 16:48   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamY View Post
After 16 months at sea on the hook almost the whole time with a 66lb Rocna and 300' of 3/8" BBB I am done with the Sea Tiger. I am thinking of trying to rig up a DC motor to my existing Sea Tiger but as time passes I start thinking I might just plop down the cash on a Lofrans Tigress :-( it kills me to spend the money but my ground tackle is waaaay too heavy. I think if I had the 45lb anchor with the 5/16 HT everyone else in boats my size seems to have I would be fine with the Sea Tiger but I want electric now :-(

Another issue is we're heading to the Marquesas next and according to people I know who are there, the anchorages are deep and tenuous. I want to be able to get the big gear up quick if need be. In the Sea of Cortez it was more of a de-motivator thing. peole are having a party the next anchorage over and I dont want to go because I would have to crank up my gear ;-)

So either look for an aftermarket conversion kit (if I am industrious enough) or more likely for a Sea Tiger on the classified list once I pay for my new Tigress.
Wow... I'd LOVE another Sea Tiger. I had one on my last boat (45lbs CQR and 200' BBB). What a pleasure it was. So rugged and reliable. No power consumed. I hope the new manual windlass I ordered isn't some cheap Chinese import or something.

Any time you want to unload the Sea Tiger, she's got a good home here!
Old 12-06-2008, 04:06   #40

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Florida Rigging, near Miami, (TIM) has all of the parts for the SL sea tiger 555. They will rebuild them also. 561-863-7444
Old 12-06-2008, 04:21   #41
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Florida Rigging is a good company. They went out of their way to help me when I had Simpson Lawrence windlass problems.