Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 12:34   #1

Boat: Sunbeam 44
Question Rode Options ?

Replaced my bower ... Making up a spare storm anchor with the old ...

Keeping to a similar weight ... is it better to have a longer 8mm Chain or a shorter 10mm Chain before the Nylon rode ?
e.g. 10m 10mm or 20m 8mm before 100m nylon line.

BTW .. what of ye olde saying ...

"the anchor holds the chain .. the chain holds the boat" - everyone seems to talk about up-sizing the anchor over the chain ?

Ta
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:53   #2

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Rode Options ?

I think you'll get better answers with more information: cruising grounds, size of boat, and lengths of chain you're considering.

Some will say that you want all chain, regardless. At a minimum I want chain that is sufficiently strong and long enough to prevent chafe on the bottom,. For my 11T sloop I use 100 ft of 5/16" G40 chain (ie, 30M of 8mm). I would carry more chain (or all chain) in the tropics or high latitudes, but our anchorages are mostly mud, gravel, and weed-covered rock.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 13:11   #3

Boat: Sunbeam 44

OK .. to clarify .. I already have a primary Bower - 30KG Spade on 80m 10mm all chain + A 20KG, Danforth Kedge on 20m 8mm on 60m 16mm + a Fortress on 10m 8mm on 50m 16mm.

I am anchored up fine ....

I am just thinking of using my old bower as a spare ... tucked away in a deep locker for a windy day. The question is really ..only ... is it better to have a longer or a short chain rode of the same weight on this .. considering i could be hauling by hand at some point ?

Shall i go :

10m of 10mm or 20m of 8mm or something else ?
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 13:16   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4raffy View Post
Replaced my bower ... Making up a spare storm anchor with the old ...

Keeping to a similar weight ... is it better to have a longer 8mm Chain or a shorter 10mm Chain before the Nylon rode ?
e.g. 10m 10mm or 20m 8mm before 100m nylon line.

BTW .. what of ye olde saying ...

"the anchor holds the chain .. the chain holds the boat" - everyone seems to talk about up-sizing the anchor over the chain ?

Ta
Assuming the 8mm chain is strong enough for your boat, then I say longer is better. The weight of the chain is immaterial in the setup you are considering.

The increased length however increase to over all length of the rode and keeps the nylon section further off the seabed. Being a storm rode, it will probably be bar tight!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 13:42   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

On my boat I prefer more of 8mm over less of 10mm chain. This to limit the chances of warp coming in contact with sharp objects underwater.

Alas, if your anchorage is shallow and space limited, you may be better off with 10mm or even 12mm. I am not sure of this, but this is what I would chose.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode