Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 09:49   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Rocna Versus the World

We are equipping our boat for an extended 1-2 year cruise and currently have a Bruce and Plow on the bow and Danforth on the Stern. ICW/Carib

We keep hearing good (GREAT) things about the Rocna. Is it worth ditching the Bruce and Plow and replacing them with a Rocna?

I would have to ditch both the Bruce and plow as I would have to modify the sprit to accept the odd shape of the Rocna, and probably loose the ability to store two anchors on the bow.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:55   #2

Re: Ronca versus the world

It IS a "better" anchor. I've had a bruce and the Rocna pulls me off the bow when setting. But so do most of the new gen anchors.

Anchor war again? Hardly.

There are other new gen anchors out there, look around for better pricing than Rocna.

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:55   #3

I used a Bruce for many years, never drug, lucky I guess. I always carried a Bruce a few sizes up from the recommended size. I have a Rocna now because it came on the boat. If it came with an oversized Bruce I would not have changed it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:56   #4

Well, first off, it's Rocna, not Ronca--the 'n' comes after the 'c'. Second, if I were you, I would keep the Bruce and the plow (assuming they are adequately sized for your boat). I would use them, get some experience with them, and then after that decide if it is worth it to ditch them for a newer design. The Bruce type anchor in particular has a lot of fans and, while it may not get quite the raves that the Rocna types do, it is generally considered a very adequate anchor. You may find that the anchors you have are plenty for what you need.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:58   #5

Yes, you're right. The OP didn't mention size.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:08   #6

Boat: Niagara 35

I would highly recommend a new generation anchor, but not necessarily a Rocna. There are three or four non-hoop new-gen anchors that won't cause issues with your sprit. The only one that is economically available in the states is the Manson Boss.

That's what we went for and why. So far, we are very, very happy with it.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:11   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43

Have you considered the Quickline Ultra anchor? It gives next gen performance but has a shape that should be compatible with direct re-use.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Well, first off, it's Rocna, not Ronca--the 'n' comes after the 'c'. Second, if I were you, I would keep the Bruce and the plow (assuming they are adequately sized for your boat). I would use them, get some experience with them, and then after that decide if it is worth it to ditch them for a newer design. The Bruce type anchor in particular has a lot of fans and, while it may not get quite the raves that the Rocna types do, it is generally considered a very adequate anchor. You may find that the anchors you have are plenty for what you need.

Good luck.
Good Gosh. I was even on their website looking at it when I misspelled it.

As far as experience with the 3 others on board, I have had 35 years experience and the last time I bought the latest greatest was when the Fortress came out and it has followed me on 4 boats as a backup.

All of my anchors are oversized and have been adequate over the years. For this trip, we have far more invested than my younger days, and even though I have trust in the current setup, from some recent conversations, the Rocna (got it right this time) is supposed to give a lot more peaceful sleeps and shore excursions that the boat will be where we set it.

From a design standpoint, it clearly makes a lot of sense to me in regards to the ability to reset itself and less prone to dragging sideways across the bottom?
Old 25-04-2014, 10:15   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

We anchored for years using CQRs (genuine and copies), various danforths and a Bruce. I moved to a Rocna a couple years ago and would never go back. I'm a frugal sailor (OK, I'm poor), but my anchoring system is one place I would not compromise. If you're leaving on an extended cruise it only makes sense to have the best system you can afford.

The new generation anchors (Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc) are, in my experience, just better overall. There are some specific cases where a danforth style is superior. And possibly there may be some cases where a Bruce might do better, but overall my experience is that the new style anchors are a big improvement.

BTW, if the Rocna doesn't fit your rollers, the perhaps one of the others might. Look at them all.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We anchored for years using CQRs (genuine and copies), various danforths and a Bruce. I moved to a Rocna a couple years ago and would never go back. I'm a frugal sailor (OK, I'm poor), but my anchoring system is one place I would not compromise. If you're leaving on an extended cruise it only makes sense to have the best system you can afford.

The new generation anchors (Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc) are, in my experience, just better overall. There are some specific cases where a danforth style is superior. And possibly there may be some cases where a Bruce might do better, but overall my experience is that the new style anchors are a big improvement.

BTW, if the Rocna doesn't fit your rollers, the perhaps one of the others might. Look at them all.
THANK YOU. What I keep hearing is that the people who are using them are very happy with them. I am not up for testing the latest greatest, but having something new but tried and true fits the bill for us. Appreciate your reply, that was exactly what we were looking for.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:21   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

We sailed a bit with an old design plow and never did really drag anywhere. But we needed to keep up with the Jones's so bought a 25kg Rocna. I had to build a new bowsprit to fit the new anchor. In the first big blow we went through the Rocna drug like crazy. I'm pretty sure it was my fault but still it makes me wonder.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:57   #12

RONCA.... didnt they invent the Veg-O-matic? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 11:01   #13
TDC

I do believe a new gen/scoop is better than the CQR/Plow...

But it's not some super black magic. I have dragged the Rocna multiple times. First was in weeds. Grass got wrapped around the roll bar and was a pain in the rear to clear the fouling. Second time was in 'great holding' heavy mud. The mud filled up the scoop and then seemed to just drag along like a mushroom.

Overall I still recommend it. But am considering taking the Bruce out of the bilge to have a backup on the second roller. Bruce may not hold as well as a plow (or Rocna) but it has always set fast.
TDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 11:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
THANK YOU.... Appreciate your reply, that was exactly what we were looking for.
Perhaps you did not have time to read the link I provided earlier. Pretty much the same input. Mike is right, they are a great improvement.
Old 25-04-2014, 11:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
RONCA.... didnt they invent the Veg-O-matic? :>)
That must be the Freudian Slip I made. I even made the joke at dinner that 'ROCK-NA' sounded like a Neanderthal Product. But everyone around the table talked like it sliced and diced.

Hmmm, wait. Was the VegOMatic a product of a comedian named Gallagher?

Tags
rocna