Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2020, 10:02   #16

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36
Re: Regalvanization of anchor chain

Ah, that's such a shame you can't find someone in the Chesapeake to re-galvanize your chain. Maybe call the folks at SpinSheet and see if they know anyone. Guys at Bacon Sails?
I had my chain properly done about 7 years ago in Alameda/Oakland CA, and although it doesn't get used a ton, its still in very good shape...they did a great job and I don't recall it being too expensive...definitely less than half the price of new chain. But things certainly may have changed.
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:02   #17

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I spread out my 200’ of chain in the marina parking lot and used balm can cold galvanizing with excellent results. 8 years later and only minimal rust. I’ll probably add a couple new coats this year.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:02   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 354

There is a place in Ashland, VA that will do it. I inquired about re-galvanizing 200 ft. of 3/8 G4. They quoted a price of about $400, and I have to get it to them. I plan to have it done in the Fall since I have to put the boat on the hard for some repairs anyway. Can't remember the firm name, so google it.

Defender price for 200ft. of new 3/8 G4 chain is $4.45/ft, or $890.

It doesn't require anything special for the plant to do chain. The one in Ashland does steel beams etc, anything that requires a resistant coating. The limiting factor is the size of their tank. I can't believe there is no place near Annapolis that can do this.
Old 23-04-2020, 10:06   #19

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

I had 200' of 3/8" chain re-galvanized by a company in Baltimore, but it was in 1995! They looped it multiple times over a bar then dipped the entire thing in molten zinc. When raised out of the zinc, the bar was shaken to keep the chain flexible until the zinc solidified. I classified it as an "OK" job but not great. Lots of left over slag and a hand full of frozen links but most was removed by passing it through the windlass wildcat and beating frozen links with a hammer. It lasted about 3 years before rust started appearing again. We were cruising thru the Bahamas and down the the Caribbean so we were anchoring a lot, mostly in sand. Had it done again in Venezuela, another "OK" job. Again, maybe 3 years of service before rusting. I don't remember the cost but I do remember thinking that I would have been better off just buying new chain. For the effort involved to move several hundred pounds of chain plus the cost and marginal success of the process, I wouldn't do it again.

There are rust converters on the market (Corroseal being my favorite) that you can paint on tight rust (remove the loose stuff with a wire brush) and it will convert the rust to a stable form and prevent further rusting. In your situation, I'd reverse the chain and coat the rusted end with Corroseal before storing it in the locker. Since it's rarely used, the Corroseal should preserve the chain and keep it from making a mess when/if you need the additional length. You can always re-Corroseal the end if it gets too beat up and starts to rust again from use. You can buy it on-line in quart or gallon jugs on Amazon, eBay, Walmart, etc.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:23   #20

Just had my chain re-galvanised in Tunisia with outstanding results - very pleased. Cost inc tax was about 800 Tunisian Dinar (about 275 USD) it is 1/2 inch and there were 50 meters ( about 160 feet). One thing to look out for is they must have a 'shaker table' which is special for the
chain - knocks off the excess galvanizing. My chain was still serviceable - 0h but what a mess!!! that price also included my anchor I just remembered. Peter
peterlewis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:39   #21

Boat: Swan 57

I have re-galvanized my anchor and chain for my Swan 57 here in Sweden. It is true that it is an issue with the links being soldered together but our galvanizers had no problem. My company is an mechanical industrial company and we use a lot of galvanization, it is not a problem and it is not expensive. Do not buy new stuff, you'll only end up getting another "so called galvanized" chain that will rust in three years. It should last at least 10 years and it only depends on the thickness of the zink coat.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:40   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

i have done millions of dollars worth of business selling Zn to galvanizers but mostly around Europe. If you are going to re-galv then you need a galvanizer who has a spin-galv unit. As Dockhead said, if you use a standard galv plant the Zn will "glue/weld" the links together. A Spin unit throws out the excess Zn with a centrifugal treatment so that the links are then free from each other. I have found in Europe that only about 10% of galvanizers have a spin-galv unit. I suppose other countries would be similar. If you find a spin-galvanizer there is nothing you need to do to prepare the chain, it goes into an acid dip which takes off all the rust (and any remaining Zn) and leaves the links clean and ready for the Zn bath. You might consider having yr anchor re-galvanized at the same time if it came from the same poor supply source as the chain.

Once galvanized the chain will look bright and shiny whatever the depth of the Zn coating but it sounds to me that the chain you have only had a rather thin Zn coating since 3 years is bad news. I would expect 8-15 years. Once the Zn gets a bit thin and the chain starts to rust things will go downhill v rapidly since whatever Zn remains will be sacrificially corroding to protect the links which no longer hv any Zn at all. My guess is that you would have about 6 months left before the whole thing is a big rusty mess making stains all over yr boat.

I have a few suggestions. Yr chain locker should have a slightly raised floor to keep the chain out of any residual seawater in the bottom. Even better if you can rinse the chain occasionally w fresh water. Make sure the drain hole(s) not blocked.

Painting yr chain? Forget it. Waste of time. It will not last and will suffer from wear and be chipped away in no time.

Solution? Find a spin-Galvanizer or buy completely new chain. Note there is a slight loss in strength when re-galvanizing chain (Read Nigel Calder) but unless you are planning on riding out a hurricane it probably does not matter greatly but you never said what spec nor what size yr links are.

Best of luck
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 23-04-2020, 10:48   #23

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

The chain on my boat had a lot of surface rust so I took it to Emerald Galvanizing in Seattle. They have a centrifuge and did a fine job. The location won’t work for you but the info on the website might be useful. http://www.egalv.com/ There is a chart to calc cost. 3/8” chain at $1.25/lb for 300’ is about $600 plus tax. Costs more if they have to burn any paint off, so painting a chain is a bad idea if you ever want to re-galvanize. A couple of years later the chain looks new. If you buy new 3/8” high test grade 43 chain, it’s $1300. Its worth re-galvanizing if the chain has only surface rust and you can find a local company with a centrifuge. Good luck.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 11:03   #24
Marine Service Provider

Does your chain locker have ample drainage and do you flush it and the chain with fresh water at every opportunity?
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 11:54   #25

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Reversing the chain was the worst thing we did.
I'd rather keep at least half clean chain onboard instead of a flaking festering mess in the locker.

We anchor 365 days of the year and find as long as the old chain is dragging through that sand, it comes up shiney every time.

It does mean we run out more chain than needed most times but so what?
A few seconds more pressing a button to retrieve and a sound night sleep every night because of the extra gear down.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:15   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I am in the Med , so not much help to you , however I re galvanized my entire chain after 7 years - from new , this was done in Croatia . That was about 8 years ago , it is now needing to be galvanized again . The chain was not reversed in that time . looking carefully at the condition of the chain - the ( Steel ) . I would feel comfortable galvanizing the chain again , if it is cost effective . I have over the years lain to my anchor in a number of severe storms , with no issue or c concerns -
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:17   #27

Boat: Beneteau

Looked into the same last season and was informed by the yard I was directed to that such a small project was cost prohibitive. I went the paint route on the advice of the skipper... he happens to me my father inlaw. This is common practice among commercial vessels. He recommended an acid wash, of which he happened to have on hand. I simply did a quick acid wash and rinse waited for it to dry and started by hanging the chain so I could do a section at a time. Used tremclad steel primer and so far it has exceeded expectations.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:29   #28

I had my chain regalvanised but it would be cheaper to by new although it was only 60ft and a longer length may have been more economical
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:37   #29

I had mine regalvanized by Metalplate in Jacksonville, Florida. The first 1,000 pounds was about $325, I had only, maybe, 400 pounds. I was very pleased. I do regret not gathering all of my gear (dinghy anchors, spare rode, etc).
Gregg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:51   #30

Boat: Island Packet 420

I had about 300 feet of anchor chain regalvanized by an outfit in Baltimore for about $140 about 5 years ago. I cannot remember the name of the outfit, but if you google galvanizing in Baltimore, as I recall there are 2 outfits that will do it.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor