Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 13:46   #1

Mounting anchor on bow sprit?

I'm still looking at how best to rig a gennaker (roller perhaps) at the bow of my boat. Because of the pullpit design (similar to the first photo) I need some sort of bowsprit extension.

Aside from the retractable bowsprits I am also considering a fixed set-up like those in the photos below.

I like the design of these (Ankarspel Badplattform Badstege LED Peke | Btsystem) but I am a little concerned about whether mounting the roller forward on the bowsprit is a good idea. These are made by a Swedish company and it is probably more common for yachts here to stern anchor and tie the bow up to the island using the bowsprit and steps make getting off easy.

I have a concern that when anchoring in "challenging" conditions that the bowsprit might liable to be damaged and perhaps damaging my yacht in conditions where my standard bow roller will be ok.

I just wonder if others would share my concerns or if I am worrying about nothing?

This is the sort of set up I am thinking of

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 14:53   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Mounting anchor on bow sprit?

The setup in the picture seems OK. We know a boat that had a much longer bowsprit/platform arrangement, about 1.8m out front, he also had his genoa furler out there right next to the anchor roller. He got his anchor well dug in some rocks once, in quite some swell, it broke his BACKSTAY!
So if you merely want to carry the anchor out there thats OK, but then have your snubber come back to the boat directly, not over the far flung bowroller.
Old 21-02-2012, 14:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana
The setup in the picture seems OK. We know a boat that had a much longer bowsprit/platform arrangement, about 1.8m out front, he also had his genoa furler out there right next to the anchor roller. He got his anchor well dug in some rocks once, in quite some swell, it broke his BACKSTAY!
So if you merely want to carry the anchor out there thats OK, but then have your snubber come back to the boat directly, not over the far flung bowroller.
Good point on the snubber. After breaking my windlass I now always use a snubber and can bypass the bowsprit with it.

Tags
anchor