Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 04:19   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Lifes a drag when your trippen

Every have one of those nights when you wake up and go, I have no idea where I am. Tonight was that way for me. It's weird for me, as I don't drink or do drugs.

It's 4am and luckily Dekat woke me up. Seems my brand new mantus anchor was dragging. Though in complete fairness, it was not the anchors fault. The Blonde crew decided to use a trip line for the very first time ever. Then she anchors in a location where the winds and tide are opposite each other. Bright Girl I know.

Anyway I get up at 3am as the cat was meowing and looked out side and I'm next to the weeds on shore. Chants were said. Popped my head up and it's pitch black and my landmarks are no where to be found.

Seems I when sailing, well dragging while I slept. About a 1/4 mile down the slough. More chants were said.

Go up and start the engine and start pulling in the rode. What had happened is my trip line got wrapped around the anchor chain as the boat did circles around the anchor, dancing with the winds and tides opposite each other as sometimes happens. It did it in such a way as to pull the anchor out after some time (which seems to be 3 am every time) when the winds started blowing in the night. Lovely. Chants were said. Needless to say the %^&* trip line is no more.

Currently anchored again. I'm still chanting.....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 04:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
re: Lifes a drag when your trippen

Well that stinks!!

On the bright side, you did not hit anything and it sounds like your boat was not damaged. You also have a great anchor dragging story the next time the topic comes up. 1/4 mile..... nice!!!

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 04:38   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

Good Cat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 05:27   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

WOW! Thanks for the learning experience. I've been pondering using a trip line. Guess NOT!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:07   #5

Boat: Fantasia 35

Down here at Docktown I guess I heard your chants and woke up... Can't seem to get back to sleep either...
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:23   #6

Yeah, that's a good kitty!
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:24   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Nice thread title...
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:29   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

How is your trip line rigged SC? When I deploy ours (which isn't very often), is run it from the anchor up to a small block which is hanging down from the float. A weight on the end of the trip line keeps the line taught, and right over the anchor. With chain down, I've never fouled the two lines, but I don't anchor in tidal zones either. Just a thought.

Glad you and the boat and the cat are OK.
Old 15-07-2016, 06:35   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

timmy got treats i hope. good kitty.
yup seen this happen buncha times to some well practiced cruisers.. is always an eye opener. occasionally we wanna see our anchor location, but the locator is the culprit for so many wanderings.
i am glad you have a good kitty. they know all, you know

btw--what is record for distance dragging anchor--i think you have drag queen status????
at least you didnt add mud wrestling to that title... wow.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 07:07   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How is your trip line rigged SC? When I deploy ours (which isn't very often), is run it from the anchor up to a small block which is hanging down from the float. A weight on the end of the trip line keeps the line taught, and right over the anchor. With chain down, I've never fouled the two lines, but I don't anchor in tidal zones either. Just a thought.

Glad you and the boat and the cat are OK.
Well I was lucky the area I anchored in has soft banks and fairly deep water even a few feet from shore.

I used a bit of Dyneema line I had onboard for the trip line. Of course my line was just a tad too short and the float was just floating with no slack. I can see that using a weight would be good. But tides with reverse winds might still get you into trouble.

The issue is only when you have tides opposite the wind. What happens, in last nights case is the outgoing tide wanted the boat to go one way. But the wind was blowing almost the opposite direction. So what happens is the boat dances around the anchor, as the winds and tide push the boat around. In last nights case this caused the dyneema line to wrap in such a way that it was able to trip / unseat the anchor over some time.

Why I don't use the old northhill in tidal streams, as the lazy fluke gets wrapped in rode every time. That pulls the anchor out too as the boat dances

Ideally you want the winds to come off shore at 90 degrees to the river current. This is not always possible and then sometimes the %^&* wind shifts.

Dekat is a good cat for sure.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 07:24   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Interesting. I rarely use a trip line unless I have to anchor in an area known to have a foul bottom, logs, rocks, etc. I never would have thought that it could foul the anchor in such a manner as to pull it out.
Learn something new every day.
Hurray for the cat, and it's a well trained boat that only drags anchor to soft places lol.
Old 15-07-2016, 07:52   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I always wanted a cat aboard but was afraid it would scratch everything. Maybe now I read this I should reconsider.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 07:59   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I always wanted a cat aboard but was afraid it would scratch everything. Maybe now I read this I should reconsider.
cats train easily not to scratch , especially when ye catch em in it and relocate em to something you made just for them to use. they like that.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 08:09   #14

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
LIfes a drag when your trippen

After losing your Bruce to a foul bottom it is understandable why you chose to add a trip line. Sorry you lost your grip. Glad you had a soft landing. For a sober lady tripping can be a cat-ass-trophy.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 08:19   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Make sure your float is a bright color so fishermen can run it down in their pangas. I use spectra for the trip line in the hope it will get caught in their prop.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote