Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 10:01   #16

Re: Lewmar 1000 Vertical Windlass trouble - HELP!

A big thanks to everyone who has shared their advice! RichandHelen- thanks for the recommendations for a new windlass and a good local mechanic.

Here's a summary of what we've learned so far, hopefully this will help other beginner cruisers:

We've learned that our root problem is that our chain is the wrong size. This is something we should have noticed months ago when we first began anchoring this boat, but we were too new. The chain was slipping and jamming a bit, but we just thought we had inherited a cheap windlass. Instead of immediately addressing the issue, we just babied it, pulling chain in by hand and gently feeding it into the windlass.
Eventually, the chain jammed one time too many and something in the gearbox failed.

We disassembled all of the above-deck hardware, cleaned it and reassembled it. We tightened the clutch. None of this helped.
We could hear the motor running, but the mainshaft would not spin. It is clear that a part in the gearbox is broken, probably a coupling part as Cavalier suggested.

We called Lewmar Technical support this morning, and they were incredibly helpful and knowledgable. They were the ones that confirmed to us that we were using the wrong chain size. (A control arm had broken off previously, and we thought that could have also been a cause of chain slipping, but the tech support said the control arm is unimportant).
They also confirmed that a gear has probably broken. We were nervous about disassembling the below deck hardware, but they confirmed that it is an easy procedure. We can just unscrew the bolts and drop the gearbox down. The real challenge will be finding replacement parts for this discontinued windlass.

We have decided not to bother fixing the gearbox until we get the correct size chain, as that would be pretty pointless. For now, we will operate the windlass manually... It's a bit of a challenge with the slippage of the oversized links, but it's not impossible. Eventually (hopefully soon), we'll replace the chain and then finally attempt to repair the gearbox. If people are interested, I'll update further once we've done that.

Incidentally, the chain we have seems to be a bit unusual. The Lewmar tech guy asked if the stamp on the chain was G4 or B3, and the answer is neither-- it's P3. Has anyone heard of this?? So far I have not found anything on Google about it.
Also, the windlass specs show that the gypsy should be model no. 608RC60, but our gypsy only shows numbers 8RC60... this may seem stupid like a stupid question but is that the same part or do we have a different gypsy than the Sprint 1000 Vertical should have come with? (Before you ask, it doesn't look like the first "60" has just been rubbed off... see attached pic).
We want to get this chain thing right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6021.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	167550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6022.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	167551  

Kfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:11   #17

Is this the part?

https://picclick.co.uk/Lewmar-Simpso...828529898.html
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:14   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Here is a link to a website for Lewmar Sprint 1000 parts: Simpson Lawrence Sprint 1000 Parts

I have one that I installed back in 1994 and continue to use all the time. I have removed and rebuilt it twice since the original install. Like all mechanical devices they require taking apart from time to time. There are water seals that fail when not changed frequently enough and let water enter the gear train and corrode up the gears and shafts as well as lead to motor failure from rusting out. I replaced my motor once over the years.
Many parts are no longer available but the most commonly serviceable ones are still available or have after market substitutes.
The rebuild or repair requires the complete removal from the boat and it's disassembly and re-assembly is not for the faint of heart. It requires an orderly and specific sequence for both taking apart and putting back together. I was fortunate to have a master mechanic walk me through the first time but each piece must be taken apart, cleaned and laid out in order for reassembly. Use lots of heavy grease such as Triple Guard Grease inside the gearbox when reassembling.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:40   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

If anything much more than replacing the seals and motor then I suggest replacing the entire unit with a new windlass. Lewmar only uses this vertical design for the smaller units now. What they still call vertical for the larger units actually have a horizontal motor through a gearbox like everyone else in the size category.
Ask around and shop around and see what most closely fits your layout.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 03:34   #20

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

is the chain when you try to use the windlass around the gipsy? If not the described occurs.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, lewmar, wind, windlass