Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2023, 10:16   #121

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: How much anchor is too much anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
My (distant) past experience body surfing (with goggles), tells me that beaking waves have little effect on the bottom unless the depth is less than the wave height.

Are there any surfers here with more recent/reliable info?
Not a surfer, but as a scuba diver, I know you feel passing waves as a pulse (for lack of a better term) at some depth, and you can see minor disturbances of the seabed. This suggests that wave action is felt to a depth of 1/2 wavelength, and is not dependent on wave height: https://geo.libretexts.org/Bookshelv...an%20be%20felt.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 14:04   #122

Check whether your windlass is rated for that much weight along with the usual stress of pulling up a little towards the anchor. At some point it IS too much. I second many of the others, buy an appropriately sized modern anchor (I am a Spade fan), put a reasonable amount of G40 chain on it and sleep comfortably at night. Saving a few bucks today and not being able to sleep tomorrow night is not a bargain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
Given the increasing energy in storms these days , I'm pondering a bigger anchor.
There's a guy offering me a 33kg (72 lbs) CQR
Price is comparable to much lighter anchors.
I have a Corbin 39' (weighs in at 26,000 lbs Accor to a recent lift).
I have a MarkII with a 2' bowsprit, so I could mount it, but 75lb at the bow seems about 25 over
That is a lot of anchor.

Thoughts?
SailMaravilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 21:20   #123

Boat: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
Given the increasing energy in storms these days , I'm pondering a bigger anchor.
There's a guy offering me a 33kg (72 lbs) CQR
Price is comparable to much lighter anchors.
I have a Corbin 39' (weighs in at 26,000 lbs Accor to a recent lift).
I have a MarkII with a 2' bowsprit, so I could mount it, but 75lb at the bow seems about 25 over
That is a lot of anchor.

Thoughts?

Storms are no stronger now than in the past. You still need to be prepared for them.

Do not buy that anchor. It is a POS. If I bought a boat with a CQR, it would be the very first thing I got rid of. They rely on heavy chain. They don't reset well. The whole concept of that anchor is flawed. Do a search on it. It is garbage. If anyone tells you otherwise, they do not know what they are talking about.

Get a plow. My recommendation would be an 77 lb Ultra. Looks at some of the videos on Youtube for more information.

Standard size for your boat is 46 lbs, and they make a 60 lb (one size up) and a 77 lbs (two sizes up). They are not cheap. They are the best. Other plows are more affordable. They do tend to haul up mud. Another reason why the polished Ultra is the best choice. It sheds mud the best.

Even if you bought the standard size it would be a huge improvement.

Going up two sizes is a good idea. In protected waters you can leave it on the bow. You do not have to stow it on the bow when offshore.

Offshore, stow it in the middle of the boat somewhere, along with your chain. I take everything out of the bow to keep it as light as possible offshore--even rope rode. That can get tangled up badly in a Gulf Stream gale.

One more point. Many people have two anchors on the bow for different bottom types. Wouldn't you rather have one heavier superb anchor instead?

For a second anchor I recommend a light weight Fortress--stowed in the back of the boat with a bag with a short length of chain and a long rope rode. I've anchored a few times in hurry with a stern anchor.

Another option is a heavier anchor with a light weight lunch hook on the bow. I've anchored with some very light anchors with short scope chain for quick stops for lunch. Use the heavy anchor for longer periods of if leaving your boat unattended with confidence it will be there when you get back.

People laugh at me for anchoring with short scope like 3:1 or even 2:1. Lots of times that is the only possibility in certain situations. This is another reason I like a heavy anchor and all chain.

Now consider the holding power of the best made anchor two sizes up with heavy chain. As long as you have some penetration, you are hooked.

One final point. I used to make sentinels out of 16 Budweiser cans with a eye ring set in the cut off top. It works out to about 11 lbs and that is a handy way to help shorten scope or add more holding.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 22:46   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
Storms are no stronger now than in the past. You still need to be prepared for them.

Do not buy that anchor. It is a POS. If I bought a boat with a CQR, it would be the very first thing I got rid of. They rely on heavy chain. They don't reset well. The whole concept of that anchor is flawed. Do a search on it. It is garbage. If anyone tells you otherwise, they do not know what they are talking about.

Get a plow. My recommendation would be an 77 lb Ultra. Looks at some of the videos on Youtube for more information.

Standard size for your boat is 46 lbs, and they make a 60 lb (one size up) and a 77 lbs (two sizes up). They are not cheap. They are the best. Other plows are more affordable. They do tend to haul up mud. Another reason why the polished Ultra is the best choice. It sheds mud the best.

Even if you bought the standard size it would be a huge improvement.

Going up two sizes is a good idea. In protected waters you can leave it on the bow. You do not have to stow it on the bow when offshore.

Offshore, stow it in the middle of the boat somewhere, along with your chain. I take everything out of the bow to keep it as light as possible offshore--even rope rode. That can get tangled up badly in a Gulf Stream gale.

One more point. Many people have two anchors on the bow for different bottom types. Wouldn't you rather have one heavier superb anchor instead?

For a second anchor I recommend a light weight Fortress--stowed in the back of the boat with a bag with a short length of chain and a long rope rode. I've anchored a few times in hurry with a stern anchor.

Another option is a heavier anchor with a light weight lunch hook on the bow. I've anchored with some very light anchors with short scope chain for quick stops for lunch. Use the heavy anchor for longer periods of if leaving your boat unattended with confidence it will be there when you get back.

People laugh at me for anchoring with short scope like 3:1 or even 2:1. Lots of times that is the only possibility in certain situations. This is another reason I like a heavy anchor and all chain.

Now consider the holding power of the best made anchor two sizes up with heavy chain. As long as you have some penetration, you are hooked.

One final point. I used to make sentinels out of 16 Budweiser cans with a eye ring set in the cut off top. It works out to about 11 lbs and that is a handy way to help shorten scope or add more holding.
I'll put my 25 CQR up against the similar weight ultra here in my home grounds in the San Juan Islands.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:12   #125

You actually anchor for lunch. If we are having a good day we don't stop.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:22   #126

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
I think you mean "get a scoop". CQR is a plow. So are Delta and Excel. Ultra is a scoop, as are Spade, Rocna, Mantus, etc.

Quote:
I think sentinels or kellets have generally been proven as ineffective. But if it works for you, then go for it. I'm curious what you have in the Bud cans? 16 empty cans don't weigh 11 lbs.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:32   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I think you mean "get a scoop". CQR is a plow. So are Delta and Excel. Ultra is a scoop, as are Spade, Rocna, Mantus, etc.

I think sentinels or kellets have generally been proven as ineffective. But if it works for you, then go for it. I'm curious what you have in the Bud cans? 16 empty cans don't weigh 11 lbs.
Likely concrete in the bud cans .
Myself that is where I would use my small 16 pound bruce anchor as the kellet/ sentinel.
However if I need a kellet it's time to reconsider my anchoring situation and move to a lee.
Old 08-06-2023, 22:03   #128

Boat: Many

Quote:

I meant Spade anchor. Not Plow. Thanks for the correction.

Forgot the mention that Bud can was a form for Lead. 16 ounces of lead by volume is 11 lbs.

They do change the angle of the rode. They are more useful with a rope rode.

Have you ever had a drunk in a dinghy run over your rode at night? Sail the Caribbean and it will happen to you. A steeper angle helps.

Sentinels are effective.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:58   #129

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I suspect Jedi's case maybe falls in almost a separate category; could be a 176-lb anything -- Bruce, CQR, new gen, brick, whatever -- might have worked equally well.

-Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No actuality shape has a lot to do with digging in hence the voncrete blocks used for moorings can weigh up to half a ton to stay where placed but a 27 pound Danforth has the same holding in mud

OK, so not the brick.

-Chris
Old 09-06-2023, 07:58   #130

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
OK, so not the brick.

-Chris
Concerning the ability to PENETRATE a "problem" seabed (weeds, crust, stones etc.), sure, a giant anchor of almost any design will function well.

However, ULTIMATE HOLDING POWER can still vary greatly between designs. For example, I measured a 350 lb Forfjord's holding power at about 3,300 pounds, whereas several 50 pound "modern" anchors made over 5,000 pounds (all in the same conditions).

The modern anchors had about 10 times more holding power per anchor weight.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 21:18   #131

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Quote:

In the days of fisherman's anchors, Claud Worth, auther of Yacht Cruising, suggestet a"kellet" should be 100 to 150 lb, or more. Can anyone provide a link to modern testing of keiiets in this weight range?
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 00:10   #132

Heavy for a typical cruising boat
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 06:34   #133

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
A Viking was the anchor that I called inadequate quality of construction and galvanizing.
I'm confused how Steve rates this anchor a 5 in both of the relevant categories.
Old 27-06-2023, 06:43   #134
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm confused how Steve rates this anchor a 5 in both of the relevant categories.
I think you mix up Viking with Vulcan. Viking gets a 2 and a 3.5

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 07:02   #135

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think you mix up Viking with Vulcan. Viking gets a 2 and a 3.5
I was definitely wrong. Thanks!

Tags
anchor