Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2024, 06:54   #151

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: How many anchors do you carry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Wrong they are cheaper due to being very plentiful on the second wind market.
I have never been let down by a CQR anywhere in the world I have anchored.
Every anchor has a weak point . The real trick is to know when you are anchoring . What anchor is best for the conditions and deploy that anchor.
Now I know my CQR has a weakness for soft mud . That is when I would deploy my S27 danforth on 27 ft of 3/8 chain and however much 1/2 inch rose I need for scope.
If you are a weekend sailor or sail in a limited area where you know the anchor grounds absolutely nothing is wrong with an CQR if that fits the majority of bottom you are having there and right away chose the other one because you know that the CQR won't work there.

I in contrast sail around the world to also remote places that are uncharted...and having an anchor thats holds well in all bottoms is cruicial here as i don't know ahead what the bottom is. Also to have several anchors for different bottoms is not practical and also don't have space and weight to support that.
so i will have my main for all bottoms and a backup thats stern anchor as well as tandem anchor and a backup to that making it 3 anchors i will carry.
So for my requirements Panope's top 3 in performance in 45 till 55lbs or 20kg class are the goto choice for the main anchor type for me.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 07:19   #152

What i take from Panope's test is:

1) the general behaving and the bottom a type of anchor is working well and if you look at Steve's videos over the years that is very constant.
2) the change from the old style anchor where weight is all and each type is strong at one bottom but very weak in other bottom via new design where the fluke area and details in desgin is more important then weight plus they work well on a broad range of bottoms.
3) the little details of the new that again is a hint that it works less good or less bad in some bottoms eg with or without rollbar, % of tip weight etc.

And if you then compare that with other test that is also fairly constant with similar or quite close results.
And if just see the first time setting of a Vikinig or Mantus compared to a CQR in all tests available that also tells you a lot.
Yes real world is sometimes different but not totally.
Panope's tests eg are not inline with my experience of the 20kg Delta on my cat but eg i have 10mm chain which is on border to be oversized and also deltas recommendations is the 15kg class so its overseized too. Means a heavy chain used with a 5:1 till 7:1 scope and and heavy anchor fixes a lot disadvantages of an anchor because the cat sits basically on the chain and the pure anchor weight itself till really strong winds or really bad bottoms with close to 0 holding.
So i didn't experience my anchor but my whole setup which covers up a suboptimal anchor for quite a lot conditions till its too late when really **** hits the fan.
But i can relate to Panope's test about its general strength and more weaknesses that revealed in short scope anchoring which i done on purpose to exclude the chain and really see what the anchor can do and not. And again that lined up with Panope's tests too.

So for me its primary now to decide about a style of an anchor and then the biggest fluke size that fits, the weight is just what results then from both choices which now came basically down to Viking 20 or Mantus M1 or M2 in 55lb.
Old 30-04-2024, 07:32   #153

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One huge advantage of my current Mantus M1 over the CQRs I've used in the past is the fast and reliable setting of the new anchor. I've anchored in the exact same spot hundreds of times with both anchors, and the Mantus almost always hooks up first time, every time. The CQR often took some hand holding to dig in, and often several tries with some dragging until it was well set. However, once dug in with good holding they both will hold well in ordinary conditions up to and including gales. But, the Mantus requires a lot less care and work to get there.
Old 30-04-2024, 08:15   #154

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've anchored in the exact same spot hundreds of times with both anchors, and the Mantus almost always hooks up first time, every time. The CQR often took some hand holding to dig in, and often several tries with some dragging until it was well set. However, once dug in with good holding they both will hold well in ordinary conditions up to and including gales. But, the Mantus requires a lot less care and work to get there.
I would regard this as “expert” testimony on the performance of these two anchors. Effectively, no quantifiable difference in holding power and set durability for the conditions “tested.” Good control: same boat, same skipper, same location and many trials. I read this as the CQR probably requires more skill and practice to use than a Mantus, i.e., “hand holding.” So might we now say to a questioner, “If you wish an anchor that’s a bit easier to set than your CQR, the Mantus is reportedly so, but with no real difference in holding power once set in actual conditions. Rather than opinions to the effect: “CQRs are no good.” “Nobody wants one.” “They are in the trash bin of history.” What do these folks really know about their relative performances, forgive?
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 08:58   #155

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
What do these folks really know about their relative performances, forgive?
What do I know about one (CQR)? Once anchored three nights aboard a friend’s Island Packet 37 off Garden Key, Dry Tortugas. Nightly thunderstorms; wind gusts into the 30’s. We never lost ground but I saw a couple of other boats drag, pull up, and depart in the dark with driving rain.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 09:11   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
Hi,

I have a 36' sailboat and currently carry 3 anchors. Is this overkill? My primary is a badass Rocna and I have a couple of fluke anchors as a backup. Do I need all 3 onboard? Thank you!
That's fair enough even 4
Vince.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2024, 09:25   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
I would regard this as “expert” testimony on the performance of these two anchors. Effectively, no quantifiable difference in holding power and set durability for the conditions “tested.” Good control: same boat, same skipper, same location and many trials. I read this as the CQR probably requires more skill and practice to use than a Mantus, i.e., “hand holding.” So might we now say to a questioner, “If you wish an anchor that’s a bit easier to set than your CQR, the Mantus is reportedly so, but with no real difference in holding power once set in actual conditions. Rather than opinions to the effect: “CQRs are no good.” “Nobody wants one.” “They are in the trash bin of history.” What do these folks really know about their relative performances, forgive?
The mantus can be used in many different bottoms where the CQR is a bad performer.
The point here is the m1 sets right every time first time and sometimes you simply don't have time or have to anchor where you are the bottom a CQR is simply not sufficient to give you enough holding power to safely anchor.

More like if you know where you anchor and what bottom is there and you have plenty knowledge of the location then an CQR is also sufficent, you maybe need more trails to set it properly. As i said for a weekender who anchors in known water both are ok or you don't need to spend the extra amount of money.

But for eg my purpose an M1 is ok but a CQR simply not.
Old 30-04-2024, 09:40   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
If you are a weekend sailor or sail in a limited area where you know the anchor grounds absolutely nothing is wrong with an CQR if that fits the majority of bottom you are having there and right away chose the other one because you know that the CQR won't work there.

I in contrast sail around the world to also remote places that are uncharted...and having an anchor thats holds well in all bottoms is cruicial here as i don't know ahead what the bottom is. Also to have several anchors for different bottoms is not practical and also don't have space and weight to support that.
so i will have my main for all bottoms and a backup thats stern anchor as well as tandem anchor and a backup to that making it 3 anchors i will carry.
So for my requirements Panope's top 3 in performance in 45 till 55lbs or 20kg class are the goto choice for the main anchor type for me.
In my 40 years of sailing the big blue I have anchored in all kinds of bottoms and if I'm curious as to what I'm anchoring in I break out my hand sounding line . The weight is cupped on the bottom for a good reason . In my opinion every sailor should have one and know how to use it properly. I know the bottom because I look at the samples I take.
Old 30-04-2024, 09:41   #159
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
The mantus can be used in many different bottoms where the CQR is a bad performer.
The point here is the m1 sets right every time first time and sometimes you simply don't have time or have to anchor where you are the bottom a CQR is simply not sufficient to give you enough holding power to safely anchor.

More like if you know where you anchor and what bottom is there and you have plenty knowledge of the location then an CQR is also sufficent, you maybe need more trails to set it properly. As i said for a weekender who anchors in known water both are ok or you don't need to spend the extra amount of money.

But for eg my purpose an M1 is ok but a CQR simply not.
Your boat your choice .

Tags
anchor