Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 07:39   #16

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: Dumb Question, Chain Hook?

I to use a combination rode. I use a rolling hitch as a snubber to take the load off the windless and keep the rode from chaffing when the boat starts swinging. I have a chain hook that I use on the chain when pulling the anchor. I pull the rode till the chain comes up then put the chain hook on and cleat it off and let a little slack in the windless so it pulls against the hook.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I used a double snubber. One snubber from each bow cleat attached to the chain via a chain hook, similar to what you see on most larger cats.

This protected the bow stay, the cable that supports the underside of the bow sprit, from the anchor chain. It also allowed the strain from the anchor chain to be aft of the bow to reduce hobby-horsing.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

most snubbers I see are way too short and can be seen fully above the water, I suspect on these little "snubbing" is going on at all.

Dave
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
take this as you wish--but, facts are that boats out cruising with chain to rope rode break loose. i know only one that didnt to date.
some folks need to experience things to understand them. is all good...
when there is a semi rocky bottom, you will break away and go walk about. if you dont have any respect for your home, use rope to chain rode.
enjoy and happy sails.

i use a snubber to keep the sprit from bearing all the load and pull from wind and swells....makes a difference. it also keeps chain away from bobstay nicely. reduces yaw somewhat, as i use a bridle which uses both sides of my bow........
Best yee heed these words of wisdom, but if you choose not to.... please don't call me to help yee off the beach.

All chain is the best way... but with only 30' of chain, you don't even have enough to be considered substandard.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
most snubbers I see are way too short and can be seen fully above the water, I suspect on these little "snubbing" is going on at all.

Dave
May I suggest that you build your own to fit your particular needs.

Use a chain hook a large shackle and one or two docklines of whatever length you wish.
Old 10-06-2013, 13:26   #21

Boat: Endeavour 37

Thank you all for the informed replies, which I realize come from extensive experience that I do not yet have. I am definitely re-thinking my choice of anchor rode.
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:08   #22

Boat: Able 50

The need is less than some suggest provided you don't head out too far from CT. The bottoms in your part of the world are mud and sand. On the other hand you could add 70ft or so of chain if you are headed for Maine. 100ft is plenty for most situations.

The whole idea of all chain is to make things safer if the bottom is coral or rock. Both can saw through any rope.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:14   #23

Boat: Beneteau 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
I to use a combination rode. I use a rolling hitch as a snubber to take the load off the windless and keep the rode from chaffing when the boat starts swinging. I have a chain hook that I use on the chain when pulling the anchor. I pull the rode till the chain comes up then put the chain hook on and cleat it off and let a little slack in the windless so it pulls against the hook.
I take it you are saying you use the chain hook and line to break out the anchor.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:18   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The need is less than some suggest provided you don't head out too far from CT. The bottoms in your part of the world are mud and sand. On the other hand you could add 70ft or so of chain if you are headed for Maine. 100ft is plenty for most situations.

The whole idea of all chain is to make things safer if the bottom is coral or rock. Both can saw through any rope.
150 feet of chain is good for all of Long Island Sound from the Statue of Liberty to Nantucket. The deepest anchorage is Point Judith harbor of refuge, which is 25 feet in spots.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 15:24   #25

CF comes to the fore again. I would not have had a clue about the deepest anchorage in the LIS area.

Old 10-06-2013, 15:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post

I disagree that chain is only considered on the bases of coral or rock. The only way that an anchor will stay set is if the shank of the anchor remains parallel to the sea floor during any and all conditions. And if the anchor will reset if it comes out of its set.
The weight of the chain and the length of the cantulary (sp?) will determine if the shank stays parallel to the sea floor during a 40 knot afternoon breeze and a two foot chop as your boats swings 180*, while you're ashore enjoying a beer.
With a rope rode you will be able to stand on shore with beer in hand and watch your boat do a walkabout.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:04   #27

Boat: Endeavour 37

So... here's my 64 dollar question (actually it could cost me quite a bit more than that):
I have a brand new rode made up of 30 feet of chain and 270 feet of rope. Do I have to buy a whole new rode if I want to significantly increase the chain, or can I get a reliable swivel that will allow me to connect about 100 feet of the same chain --- and still have the entire chain portion of the rode pass through my windlass without getting caught???
BozSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:19   #28

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozSail View Post
So... here's my 64 dollar question (actually it could cost me quite a bit more than that):
I have a brand new rode made up of 30 feet of chain and 270 feet of rope. Do I have to buy a whole new rode if I want to significantly increase the chain, or can I get a reliable swivel that will allow me to connect about 100 feet of the same chain --- and still have the entire chain portion of the rode pass through my windlass without getting caught???
Just remove the 30 feet of chain and purchase a 150 feet of chain and splice them together. Its a DIY job. All the instruction are online for splicing chain to rode line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain to rode splice.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	62291  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:26   #29
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I disagree that chain is only considered on the bases of coral or rock. The only way that an anchor will stay set is if the shank of the anchor remains parallel to the sea floor during any and all conditions. And if the anchor will reset if it comes out of its set.
The weight of the chain and the length of the cantulary (sp?) will determine if the shank stays parallel to the sea floor during a 40 knot afternoon breeze and a two foot chop as your boats swings 180*, while you're ashore enjoying a beer.
With a rope rode you will be able to stand on shore with beer in hand and watch your boat do a walkabout.
You would need a very long and very heavy chain for the last links to stay on the bottom (giving that horizontal pull) in 40 knots. In fact the chain would be so heavy and so long I doubt it is feasible. Being realistic and on the basis most people will own a recent (20 years) fibreglass relatively light yacht, one needs to anticipate that all the chain, which will possibly be 10mm max, will be off the seabed at less than 30 knots.

A snubber of a reasonable length and not too thick (maybe 12mm for a 40'/45' yachjt), the snubber thread seemed to suggest more than 6m - maybe 10m, absorbs the snatch loads. Modern anchors when well and correctly set will work even when the load is not parallel to the seabed.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:34   #30

Add extra chain with one of these. The naysayers will bash me on this but mine worked just fine. Whack it good and hard with a 5lb or 10lb hammer.

Worldwide Enterprises Chain Link

You can always cut the rope section in half and use the rest later.