Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 04:55   #16

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Re: Doubling Up Mooring Lines

I like to drop an anchor with a shortish rode off the stern, then if you start moving that anchor should swing the boat a bit and start it rocking which is a good alarm
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liming II View Post
Good Morning,

We are new to mooring in the ocean, and are preparing for some strong winds this weekend. We have been in a mooring field for a few days and all has been well, but we are supposed to get some 25+ knot gusts over the weekend. My question. is it prudent to put out another set of mooring lines with just a little slack in them an an insurance policy? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:44   #17

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Interested to see some of the rope sizes on here. Every mooring I have ever picked up has had a single line of 38 to 50 mm Diameter. Its designed to go through the bow roller. Of course some mooring balls have a ring with no line in which case using a heavy strop with chain in the middle is a good idea.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:39   #18

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

Speaking of mooring balls I had an interesting problem last year in the st Augustine Florida mooring. I had a new bridle made which was too long and had loops on the ends and the boat spun around the ball and tide or wind pushed boat over the ball and the ball ended up popping up on the back side of the keel. Wind was blowing now and we could not get it sorted out and had to cut one leg of bridle off. Lesson was keep legs short and don’t drop a loop thu cleat. I use 2 separate lines now and wrap around cleat so I can get it off in an emergency or single handed.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:00   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
Speaking of mooring balls I had an interesting problem last year in the st Augustine Florida mooring. I had a new bridle made which was too long and had loops on the ends and the boat spun around the ball and tide or wind pushed boat over the ball and the ball ended up popping up on the back side of the keel. Wind was blowing now and we could not get it sorted out and had to cut one leg of bridle off. Lesson was keep legs short and don’t drop a loop thu cleat. I use 2 separate lines now and wrap around cleat so I can get it off in an emergency or single handed.
Absolutely. I have been very surprised by the long lengths of the mooring strops I have seen sometimes mentioned on CF.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:38   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'

We were on our 50’ 1979 Prout Quasar… a big, heavy boat. Unless we were only going be on a mooring for a day, we always doubled our mooring lines because high winds can crop up at any time regardless of what the weather gurus say. At times, the warnings come too late to get that second set of lines out, so do it as a matter of course… it only takes minutes for that extra safety.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:07   #21

Boat: Colegate 26

What mooring field are you in?

I agree with setting an anchor alarm. If nothing else, it's fun to see the boat move around.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
We use two lines with a spliced loop at one end.

-> Spliced loop of 1st line on the Stbd cleat, then run to the loop on the mooring pendant, then back to the same Stbd cleat.

-> Spliced loop of the 2nd line on the Port bow cleat, then run to the loop on the mooring pendant, then back to the same port cleat.

This prevents any sawing action. This allows us to easily drop either leg of the bridle without detaching from the mooring. When we drop the mooring, we uncleat one line then hand over hand retrieve it. Now casually walk over to the other line and repeat. no need to involve the dinghy.

The primary mooring pendant never tangles on anything. We've had issues when we run a bridle (multiple lines) directly to the mooring balls. Things get tangled that way.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:43   #23

We always back down on any mooring ball just as when setting anchor --testing the ball before a blow beats after it breaks free
Wendyhanse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:05   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I agree with all the good advice above. Mooring balls can be good or sketchy. Look at them and ask locals. But, I believe that one main reason boats break free is from chafe of mooring lines to the ball fixture or pennant eye. One way to reduce this chafe is to not lead a line from cleat to ball and back to cleat. Instead take a bight of your line through the ball fixture and “ luggage tag” it to the ball and lead the two ends back to your cleat. Or just luggage tag a spliced eye through the ball and lead the free end to your boat cleat. After a blow you might need to work it loose a bit but this won’t be moving on the ball or pennant eye and will greatly reduce the risk of chafing through.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:23   #25

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

At anchor in Sirios, Greece I had charter yacht drift backwards past me in 25/30 kn wind. I haled them and said I think you are dragging !
The lady on board replied “We can’t be we are tied to a mooring!”
I replied well you and your mooring will be on that beach in about 20 mins!
After a short time they cast off and anchored somewhere, leaving somebody’s mooring a few hundred yards away from where it was when they tied onto it.
😀⚓️
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:45   #26

Extra lines can't hurt but as others point out, the weakest link will give-out first. Well sized ropes in good condition can be stronger than the chain but in a blow, chafe is your worst enemy.

I once picked up a mooring buoy in Trinidad and a local advised me to 'give it a bit of a tug' to see if it was well attached to the bottom. So I gave it a little tug going astern, and a tug, and a tug.....I tugged it halfway across the harbour before I went looking for another buoy.

One thing that might seem like a good idea, but definitely isn't, is to take a stern line to a second mooring buoy. If the wind shifts to on your beam, the loads are horrendous.
IanTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 13:25   #27

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Good Morning,

We are new to mooring in the ocean, and are preparing for some strong winds this weekend. We have been in a mooring field for a few days and all has been well, but we are supposed to get some 25+ knot gusts over the weekend. My question. is it prudent to put out another set of mooring lines with just a little slack in them an an insurance policy? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike
I have never been on a mooring without a second mooring line
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 14:33   #28

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyhanse1 View Post
We always back down on any mooring ball just as when setting anchor --testing the ball before a blow beats after it breaks free
Plainly common sense, which I’d never done. Doh. Good idea.
Old 11-03-2022, 15:06   #29

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

Quote:
Good Morning,
My question. is it prudent to put out another set of mooring lines with just a little slack in them an an insurance policy?
Mike
Of course it is prudent. Also, use of chafing gear is critical.
I run main line thru mooring ball, and have second line rigged to chain hasp below ball. One lies on port side and one on starboard. Line below is slack.
I also wrap thin nylon line, tied to base of cleat, over and around tied off/cleated line as insurance it won’t work itself off.
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 17:35   #30

Boat: Young 42

I got in the habit of always running two separate lines to the mooring. It takes only a few moments, and you never have to think about it. As some have already stated, most important is anti-chafe gear, both at the mooring attachment point, and on your vessel.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring