Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 19:45   #1

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Question Could my wildcat REALLY be sized for proof G3 chain?

All conventional wisdom that I've heard says windlass use either BBB or G4 ... not proof coil as proof coil tolerances are not 'tight enough'. That said, I've been around town today visiting several West Marine stores with my wildcat. I only get a good fit with 3/8 G3 (which is proof, right?). BBB binds and neither store had G4 in 3/8. My wildcat may be metric, does anyone know about metric chain? My current chain works perfectly (only 100 feet, want 300 feet) but does not appear to have any markings (I looked at about 50 consecutive links). I also spoke to IMTRA (US distributor for LoFrans) and they insist that one of the six wildcat pockets should have a 6 digit number identifying the specifics, but alas no one here can find it!!!! Windlass is a year 2000 LoFrans Tigres. ADVICE PLEASE?
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 20:39   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Could my wildcat REALLY be sized for proof G3 chain ????

Yes it can be for proof coil.

The installation manual lists the parts for your windlass. And shows four gypsies for 3/8ths chain. G4, 10 din 766, BBB, and PC.

It seems you have verified G3 proof coil fits, and it is one of the available gypsies.

edit,... since G3 is common commercial chain for logging or towing maybe that might explain why it lacks markings, though my 3/8ths G3 is marked on each link.
Old 21-11-2016, 23:50   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35

My Wildcat uses 10mm chain. I used calipers to measure numerous links to find the correct size. I also counted the number of links in 5 feet, and the number in1 meter. All showed 10mm chain.

I will post the measurements tomorrow from my laptop.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:17   #4

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Thanks four winds and David for the timely and thoughtful replies. New information, I spoke with IMTRA this morning and they think the correct chain is 10 mm and that 3/8" G4 would be an acceptable alternative. I ordered a one foot sample of G4 this morning ($10 all in from 1st Chain Supply) to confirm. I'd rather go with 10 mm since that is design spec.

I reexamined this morning the proof coil sample in my gypsy. while the links fit perfectly in the pockets, there is slack in the intervening right angle links. Seems like this is a problem as only the 'first' pocket closest to the bow roller would carry all the load ... thoughts?

David - 1st Chain does not sell metric chain and does not know of anyone who does. Where did you get yours?
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 12:34   #5

Re: Could my wildcat REALLY be sized for proof G3 chain?

I had to change a head gasket this morning (only 5 hours, I'm getting faster), or I would have gotten this posted sooner.

Grade
Chain Size
Thickness
Inside
LengthInside
WidthOutside
LengthOutside
WidthLinks/
Foot*
Safe Work Load
Breaking Strength
Existing
Metric
10mm
10mm
.393"
29.5mm
1.16"
14mm
.55"
49.5mm
1.95"
33.5mm
1.32"
51 / 5'
33.5/m
?
?
Grade 40 HT
3/8.394"1.22".60"2.01"1.39"9.85400 Lbs
16200 Lbs
Grade 30 BBB
3/8
.406"
1.09"
.62"1.90"
1.43"
112650 Lbs
11000 Lbs

The Grade 40 HT and 30 BBB are shown just for comparison... sort of to prove to myself in the future that I really did find the correct chain size as those other two are close but not exact.

The chain I have is the original that came with the boat. I am in the market for new chain now. Not sure where I'm going to get it though. Currently in St. Augustine, maybe I'll check with Sailor's Exchange see if they can get it in for me.
Old 22-11-2016, 13:30   #6

That was NOT how that last post was supposed to look.
Does anyone know how to put a table in a post?
Old 22-11-2016, 13:56   #7

Started to ask before if it was the original chain. That would suggest it is metric given the brand sailboat.

Good idea being persistent and patient to get the correct chain.

I believe you are correct that the fit you doublechecked would indeed put all the load on the first link. Then probably wear that pocket until it transferred load to the next pocket, wearing it in turn. Then continuing around the gypsy until the whole thing looked like crap. Have seen this on a friend's boat and that is how she described the progression. Saying, "But it looked like it fit".

I think you are on the right track. Not sure the sample will work out, but your process will.
Old 22-11-2016, 14:29   #8

I should add.... the wear described was on a boat abandoned at anchor with no chain stopper and a failed snubber. If in use I suppose the wear would have been more even.

When my friend purchased the boat she said it needed a new snubber when I was looking it over for her. I told her it needed the correct new gypsy and a snubber. And a chain stop. She sighed and said damn boats. We laughed.

Tags
size