Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2024, 06:18   #1

Cleaning Shore Power Cables

My 50amp SP cables are almost completely black from mildew (I guess) or whatever turns them black. I'm berthed in fresh water under cover. Has anyone found anything that could be applied with a sprayer and rinsed off that would work. I'm too old to go the acetone/scotchbrite/elbow grease route.

I was thinking Purple Power (undiluted) and careful use of an electric pressure washer (multiple applications if necessary)..I understand that I need to keep this stuff away from the fiberglass and polished aluminum...any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Tcheairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 07:01   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Cleaning Shore Power Cables

try soaking the cable ( but not the plug ends) in a bucket of water with 50/50 bleach ratio. Leave overnight. Hose of the next day with fresh water.
That's what I've done, Works like a charm.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 07:02   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel

Acetone, they make covers for the cables. I plan on getting one to protect the actual cable itself in the future.
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 10:47   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

The product MDR Krazy Clean works well for cleaning vinyl, rubber, etc.

I’m loath to keep a variety of ‘specialty’ cleaners onboard, but I still have most of a gallon that came with this boat and it does work well.

In case it might suit your needs.

Cheers, Bill
Old 09-02-2024, 14:14   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Makes short work of it: https://www.amazon.com/Tilex-Mildew-.../dp/B07BWMFVD5

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 15:10   #6

Don't think I can get 50ft 50amp cables into a bucket. Ever wrestled an Anaconda?
But thanks for the suggestions on cleaning agents. Looks like the Tilex might be the best bet.
Old 09-02-2024, 15:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Tilex is just bleach in a bottle...will also work, but may have to use a scrub brush to help it along.
The trick to fitting an anaconda into a bucket is to do it a section at a time.
I have found that it helps to "soak" the cable for a period of time.
If you have a plastic trash can you could try use it instead of the bucket...
I've used a plastic kitchen trash container....I believe it is a 13 gallon capacity. Fill it with water and washing machine detergent and add a container of bleach, about one gallon. Leave overnight.
Old 09-02-2024, 17:41   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

No, Tilex is more like CIF with bleach added. Use a terry cloth with Tilex and wioe the cord clean, then follow up with dripping wet cloth for rinse.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 17:44   #9

I'm not a fan of soaking conductors in water, nor acetone or bleach to clean the PVC jacket. The last thing you want is to remove the plasticizers from the PVC.

I use Go-Jo, the hand cleaner (with pumice) which interestingly says to rinse your hands well after use, as it may cause irritation. Also, you don't want it in your eyes.

It cleans your hands and the cord at the same time, leaving a light mineral oil like coating. Works well on fenders as well.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 05:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

You could always just get a new SP cord every year....problem solved.....write it off as boat maintenance
Old 10-02-2024, 06:00   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

A Magic Eraser, soapy water and a bit of work should clean up the cable. Chemical cleaners and solvents may create more problems - a sticky power cable will pick up more dirt.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 06:14   #12

What about my intention to try a power washer on the cord? Not a heavy duty one, just a light duty 115v electric 2200psi (after soaking the cable with "something" for a few hours). I wasn't planning to get close enough with the jet to do any damage to the pvc jacket.

Marine Strip was mentioned. Has anyone tried it? Sounds pretty potent. It's no longer marketed under the name Marine Strip, but this is what I found in a search.

https://www.owatrolusa.com/product/marine-strip
Old 10-02-2024, 08:34   #13

Boat: Hylas 54

The super yacht crews use toluene to clean yellow cables
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 10:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmCityBoater View Post
Acetone, they make covers for the cables. I plan on getting one to protect the actual cable itself in the future.
Been there but the spiders loved the inside.
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 13:14   #15

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

To clean the black from the power cable, you must kill the mold which is usually the black substance. Don't expect to kill it with one wipe. Patience is required. A couple common easy to find liquids are excellent for this. Bleach, as mentioned in other responses, and hydrogen peroxide. Laundry bleaches have about 5%, sometimes more, sodium hypochlorite which should be diluted to about a half cup to a half gallon to have adequate strength to kill mold. A stronger mixture won't make the mold any more dead but it can cause problems if it gets on anything other than your cable. Add a squirt of dish detergent to the mix to help the cleaning. The process may take several minutes. Just sponge it on and keep the surface wet. After about 5-15 minutes the black should fade. Now wipe the power cable with the mixture to clean it. Rinse and you're done. If bleach isn't available but you have hydrogen peroxide (Drugstores have 3% which is what you need. Never use industrial strength H2O2 as it is a strong oxidizer.) Just sponge it on and watch the black mold fade (die) after a few minutes. Then wash the cable normally.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables, cleaning, power, shore power