Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 17:54   #16

Re: Can anyone identify this winch?

email John Muir and ask if he would like to trade the antique for a new or reconditioned winch appropriate for your yacht. (don't tell him the suggestion came from me )
sailglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 19:39   #17

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Oooo...I would be sad to see this winch go ... its been with me for a long time, just never used as I was young and stupid I always believed firmly that the only thing I can trust is my own muscle power ....until father time started to show me a 'better' way
I will approach John Muir though thanks for the sugestion
Me and my whole boat is antique...lol... a new winch might look wholly out if place. .ha ha ha!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 19:41   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman162 View Post
Oooo...I would be sad to see this winch go ... its been with me for a long time, just never used as I was young and stupid I always believed firmly that the only thing I can trust is my own muscle power ....until father time started to show me a 'better' way
I will approach John Muir though thanks for the sugestion
Me and my whole boat is antique...lol... a new winch might look wholly out if place. .ha ha ha!

Might have to get a new boat, so the winch doesn't look out of place.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:22   #19

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Would be nice, but Im happy with the old girl we belong together

Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:36   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Sorry, it's not a winch, it's a windlass. LOL

I just had to .
Not correct. It certainly is a winch. A windlass (like a capstan) is a type of winch, often called an "anchor winch". There was nothing wrong with what the OP wrote.

What's not correct is to call just any anchor winch a windlass. The OP's winch is a windlass, but many of us have anchor winches with vertical shafts. These are capstans, not windlasses. I am guilty of this myself.
Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not correct. It certainly is a winch. A windlass (like a capstan) is a type of winch, often called an "anchor winch". There was nothing wrong with what the OP wrote.

What's not correct is to call just any anchor winch a windlass. The OP's winch is a windlass, but many of us have anchor winches with vertical shafts. These are capstans, not windlasses. I am guilty of this myself.
With respect Dockhead, the 'capstan' is only a reference to the always vertical (on boats) part of the winch or windlass that you wrap a rope around and apply pressure. It's correct not to call that part a 'winch' or 'windlass'. A 'capstan' can be a single unit and not attached to winch or windlass or it can be part of a winch or windlass.

A windlass / winch is the same thing. Which may or may not have a capstan attached. . . So winches / windlass can have a capstan but a capstan is not a winch/windlass.

You can also get capstan winches both vertical and horizontal for trucks, farm equipment etc.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:25   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
With respect Dockhead, the 'capstan' is only a reference to the always vertical (on boats) part of the winch or windlass that you wrap a rope around and apply pressure. It's correct not to call that part a 'winch' or 'windlass'. A 'capstan' can be a single unit and not attached to winch or windlass or it can be part of a winch or windlass.

A windlass / winch is the same thing. Which may or may not have a capstan attached. . . So winches / windlass can have a capstan but a capstan is not a winch/windlass.

You can also get capstan winches both vertical and horizontal for trucks, farm equipment etc.
What you say is correct on the farm, but in nautical usage a "capstan" is not the drum, but the whole machine including gears, and motor, if there is one. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_(nautical). "A*capstan*is a vertical-axled*rotating machine developed for use on sailing ships to apply*force*to ropes, cables, and*hawsers. The principle is similar to that of the*windlass, which has a horizontal axle."

See also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_windlass "Technically speaking, the term "windlass" refers only to horizontal*winches. Vertical designs are correctly called*capstans. Horizontal windlasses make use of an integral gearbox and motor assembly, all typically located above-deck, with a horizontal shaft through the unit and wheels for chain and/or rope on either side. Vertical capstans use a vertical shaft, with the motor and gearbox situated below the winch unit (usually below decks)."

However, I don't think it makes any sense to be excessively pedantic about it. As I mentioned, I do call my own vertical anchor winch a "windlass", which is not correct. I only got into this to defend the OP, not to criticism anyone else's terminology.

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 05-08-2015, 04:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What you say is correct on the farm, but in nautical usage a "capstan" is not the drum, but the whole machine including gears, and motor, if there is one. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstan_(nautical). "A*capstan*is a vertical-axled*rotating machine developed for use on sailing ships to apply*force*to ropes, cables, and*hawsers. The principle is similar to that of the*windlass, which has a horizontal axle."

However, I don't think it makes any sense to be excessively pedantic about it. As I mentioned, I do call my own vertical anchor winch a "windlass", which is not correct. I only got into this to defend the OP, not to criticism anyone else's terminology.

That article is exactly what I was saying. And no I wasn't referring to farm equipment. Have a look at the pictures in the article. The top one is the capstan and the bottom one is the windlass. You can see with the windlass it takes the chain.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:53   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
That article is exactly what I was saying. And no I wasn't referring to farm equipment. Have a look at the pictures in the article. The top one is the capstan and the bottom one is the windlass. You can see with the windlass it takes the chain.
If you agree with what Wiki says, then we have no disagreement I must have misread your previous post. But see, especially, the wiki article on Anchor Windlass, a reference to which I added to my previous post.

Walt Whitman
Old 05-08-2015, 04:58   #25

Maybe I could help with this, I can't find anything on wiki but as I recall from my deckhand learning, which I admit is a bit fuzzy.

Vertical winch is a capstan.

Horizontal winch for anchoring is a windlas, the smooth part for handling line is the drum and the knobby bit for chain is the "gypsy".

A non anchoring winch is just a winch or mooring winch, as far as I know, and some times incorporates a warping drum.

If its a vertical mooring winch its a capstan and generally only incorporates a warping drum.

I believe all of the above are winches, as are our sail trimming winches.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:52   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Maybe I could help with this, I can't find anything on wiki but as I recall from my deckhand learning, which I admit is a bit fuzzy.

Vertical winch is a capstan.

Horizontal winch for anchoring is a windlas, the smooth part for handling line is the drum and the knobby bit for chain is the "gypsy".

A non anchoring winch is just a winch or mooring winch, as far as I know, and some times incorporates a warping drum.

If its a vertical mooring winch its a capstan and generally only incorporates a warping drum.

I believe all of the above are winches, as are our sail trimming winches.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Exactly how I was taught, and I think that's pretty widely accepted maritime usage.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Walt Whitman
Old 06-08-2015, 13:09   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman162 View Post
Ive taken your suggestion and emailed Muir in Sydney. Will post their comnent here if I get anything
Albeit a 40 years old 'wench' Im impressed with the quality of this windlass and didn't know it has Tassie heritage
Nothin' wrong with a 40 year old wench imo
Old 06-08-2015, 13:23   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I always like learning these new, and somewhat obscure, terms. You've used one that I've only heard but can't define: Warping Drum. What's it?
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 14:32   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I always like learning these new, and somewhat obscure, terms. You've used one that I've only heard but can't define: Warping Drum. What's it?
The drum of a winch or windlass is the part where a line is wrapped around multiple times for gripping (as opposed to a gypsy, which has pockets for grabbing chain). Warping is using line to move a vessel, often by setting an anchor and rope rode with a dinghy then using the windlass to pull the vessel to a new position. I once watched a 65 ft engineless racing sailboat warp a quarter mile or so across St. Georges harbor (Bermuda) with two anchors. I don't use the drum often on my windlass, but when I do it is most likely to be to warp rather than simply recover an anchor.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 14:58   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The drum of a winch or windlass is the part where a line is wrapped around multiple times for gripping (as opposed to a gypsy, which has pockets for grabbing chain). Warping is using line to move a vessel, often by setting an anchor and rope rode with a dinghy then using the windlass to pull the vessel to a new position....
Indeed. Or for warping the vessel into or out of or around in her berth. Very useful thing for boats too heavy to horse around by hand. I really miss having this.

Walt Whitman

Tags
winch