Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 14:49   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Bahamaian Mooring

I use a 2-anchor Bahamian moor frequently, and I did so in the Bahamas too. Part of the reason is that I frequently anchor in some tight little spot that nobody else would anchor in, so I couldn't swing without going aground. Had a gorgeous anchorage like that up Pipe Creek where at low tide we were in our own little pool with sand all around. Used to do the same in Warderick Wells before the moorings. Lots of great anchorages in the ICW in narrow creeks with reversing tidal streams. In any area it is a great tool for reversing tidal streams and narrow anchorages, but has other uses too. In crowded New England harbors I use it to limit my swing so I can anchor close to something like the edge of the dredged deep water. It is also useful in frontal passages to prevent reversing the pull on your anchor suddenly. I have seen some wind switches that were so violent and sudden that the new wind came in on the stern of my boat and sent us whistling away down wind until the end of the anchor rode was reached with a violent jerk. That can pop out an anchor. One trick to deal with the winding up problem is to make the second anchor up with mostly nylon rode and keep it in a sail bag. When the lines twist it is easy to pass the bag around the chain and untwist. I have sat on two anchors for weeks at a time with maybe an extra 5 minutes a day attention paid to unwinding the rodes like this.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:56   #17

Boat: contessa 32

Kentwell in post above has outlined a number of situations where the B. mooring is worthwhile .I prefer my one manson on all chain but here in the crowded N.E. USA that 2nd anchor will hold you in a spot that is otherwise untenable.My danforth too, is on all nylon rode and by using kentwells sail bag technique there is little hassle when unwinding the wraps. There are many ,many times, places and situations where "just going elsewhere " is not a realistic option; between the Majors in the Bahamas comes to mind ,but strong reversing currents are common along the entire Eastern US and European coasts in their river channels and estuaries.
Its a technique that every cruiser should be have in their bag of tricks even tho it may not be necessary that often.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:12   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

We too frequently use a Bahamian mooring to reduce our swing room. Two scenarios; in tight quarters where we might otherwise swing into land (or other hard, fixed objects), and in anchorages where I want more scope than my neighbors. Not unusual for all of our neighbors to be at 4:1 or 5:1 on all chain. I may want to put down 8:1 on chain/rope (that should bring some flames). In that case I figure it is neighborly of me to put down two anchors and leave enough slack in the rodes that I swing like I have 4:1 or whatever seems typical. And regardless of what people think of modern anchors vs. older, I'm more comfortable knowing that my anchors don't have to re-set because they never got unset.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 15:25   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

As I have mentioned in previous threads, I have never felt comfortable with Bahamian mooring since it always finds a wrap on my wing keel or the angle of pull abrades the bottom/hull of my boat. It also is a potential hazard when having to pull your anchor quickly as we discovered once while anchoring off the western edge of the Maquesas Keys in Florida with a strong tidal shift that flowed from the Atlantic to the Gulf of Mexico. We rarely anchor in "preferred" anchorages, unless absolutely necessary, and rather choose our spot by studying the charts for less used areas with good holding and complementary natural features. It is interesting ,irrespective of the distance you anchor from the "preferred" anchorage, how many boats find your spot appealing and drop their hook within a whisper of your boat. The herd instinct is irresistible.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring