Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2021, 15:32   #46

Re: Anchoring home-made raft in Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
Keep proof of US citizenship on your person...you will look an awful lot like a Cuban refugee!

As an adventurer I love stealth camping and this sounds like some fun. As a cruiser, this type of thing makes it more challenging for the rest of us and is fodder for tougher regs.

As others have said, there are other and better places pretty close to keep a low profile and do this type of thing. How do you plan to get to key west? Parking is a hassle and if you park in the deck you could just as well sleep there. If you fly in then disposing of your vessel is a hassle and throwing away perfectly good materials.

Jeb
I plan to fly to Key West. Most of the materials will likely end up in a dumpster, but I will see if I can donate the lumber back to home depot. They can always add it to their 70% off used pile, or if they can give it away for free, that's even better.
crowexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 15:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
I would do all this on the SOUTH side of the island.....the bay between Key West and Stock Island. I used to live on a (slightly) more stable platform there in the 1980s. We called it “Hobo Bay” as it seemed everyone there was unemployed or on drugs.....or both. There’s a concrete wall you will have to scale, or go further west into the mangrove area when coming in to drink. You will have to figure out a way to get to old town but I think you will have much more success “hiding” there than right next to the military base.
Thanks for the info! I wish I was there now to scout out a spot. I'll look into your suggested location.
Old 11-12-2021, 15:37   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Have at it. Four days, nobody would be able to figure out what to do with you in that time frame. Hang an LED lantern with batteries, AA or AAAs, up at night
That's what I'm hoping for! Just leave me alone for a couple days, I'll clean up after myself, no harm done.
Old 11-12-2021, 15:49   #49

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowexplorer View Post
That's what I'm hoping for! Just leave me alone for a couple days, I'll clean up after myself, no harm done.
If there are some mangroves (I’ve never stopped at Key West by boat), you could use them to hide. Get a brown tarp and not a blue one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 15:52   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I generally have great admiration for those people that are willing to think and live outside the box so to speak. A little derring do goes a long way in my book.

I question the location for this attempt at some " spiritual connection" in Key West. I can think of several other Keys or areas on the Bay side, which would be more off the beaten track, where being noticed by LEO or curious people would be substantially less. Extending this thought, were you to rig a small sail of sorts, you could even drift to one of the millions of small islands in the Keys, and anchor there, where you'd be pretty much on your own. It's possible to make your tent into a wind catching device. Getting back to your starting point would likely be an adventure. Being on your own, out in the middle of nowhere, would also expand your options regarding your toiletry needs.

Nonetheless, while 4 inner tubes might suffice for the corners, I'd consider some more tubes in the middle to support your plywood structure, and off course...you.

This structure is likely to move around in the water, ie, it would flex, bend, etc, so constructing the frame work needs attention. I would not screw or nail anything together, as you don't want sharp points anywhere near your tubes, but would suggest you thru' bolt everything with some large washers to spread the load.

Boot Key Harbor in Marathon sports a variety of craft, where you'd likely fit right in, without being noticed.

You can go to Walmart (or Amazon) and purchase a small one man blow up canoe and paddle, which should suffice to get you to shore.

Send pics.
I will definitely upload pics if I do this!

Not trying to find my spirit animal or anything, it's more proximity oriented. I'm flying into Key West, there's a home depot there(as well as other supply stores). I would have to find a way to get the materials further up north, and even then, I better hope I have everything that I need, because the hardware store would no longer be a walking distance.

I probably would have just nailed it together, but bolting through does sound much more secure. If I go this route, I'll probably use bolts.

That's what I'm thinking as well, blow up raft or kayak from walmart to ferry me back and forth.
Old 11-12-2021, 17:39   #51

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowexplorer View Post
I plan to fly to Key West. Most of the materials will likely end up in a dumpster, but I will see if I can donate the lumber back to home depot. They can always add it to their 70% off used pile, or if they can give it away for free, that's even better.
If you are planning on donating. May I suggest Habitat. Donate | Habitat For Humanity - Lower Keys
They will often pick up with a call ahead.
Old 11-12-2021, 17:58   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

crowexplorer, you've certainly attracted a crowd here.

Home Depot sells lumber, but I don't think you'll find inner tubes there. Few cars have inner tubes these days, in fact, I can't think of any, so your only practical option is to find a place that services trucks. Keep in mind, a truck inner tube is generally speaking a pretty large (and heavy) diameter object, and you will require a pump to pump them up. If you find used one's, you'll certainly have to check them for leaks. I'd definitely keep the pump on board with easy access to the tube fill valve. an alternate would be to consider expandable foam, also available at Home Depot. You'd likely need several cartridges, but you could build your craft and then squirt this stuff at the corners, center, etc.

You will really have to find a place to construct this raft..and then get it to the water. Seeing as you are flying into Key West, first thing I'd do, is rent a pickup at the airport, and then you'll have to find a spot to construct it. You could construct it in and over the truck bed and sleep inside the truck while you are doing it, but where to do this is the big question. You will certainly attract LEO both on and off the water. There are some boatyards/marina's in the area, that might....a small might...let you build it on their property.

I'd forget about the 2x4's here. At a minimum, a 2x8..... 2x8 is not a very large piece of lumber either, but for the moment, let's go with that.. I'm not a nautical architect, but am a retired structural marine engineer. I have been in, on and around marine craft of every possible description, plus, I've also built my own boat, a 38' sailboat, so my credentials to comment are based on some logic.

By the time you are done, your raft will have some bulk, ie, it will be quite heavy to maneuver, move, lift, etc. I doubt very much you'll be able to move it to the water singlehanded. Should you build this over the truck bed, I doubt you'll be able to get it off by yourself.

To construct an 8x8 craft, plus plywood deck, deck supports, etc, location for the tubes/foam, and so on, will be quite a feat. You will need additional 2x8's inside your structure to provide support for the decking, keeping in mind you still have to fit the inner tubes/foam in there. You will need a substantial amount of rope, not only for your anchor, but also used as lashings.

Assuming you get this to the water, you will quickly find that your " freeboard" at best, might be 4" or so, that's not much, about the width of the palm of your hand. Even the smallest of wave chop will find it's way aboard. I'd venture to say, you will have a very wet craft in no time.

I'm sure that I can say this with confidence, that the locals will quickly have their eye on you. They will certainly wonder what " that crazy guy is planning on doing", even in Key West, which has a higher proportion than most areas of people that march to their own drummer.

My first bit of advice is to draw up a plan of what you intend to fabricate. This way, you can figure out, how to put it together, it will also enable you to figure out the weight of the lumber. The internet can provide you will all these details. But with a plan in hand, you'll know what you need to buy without additional trips to the store. You'll likely also need tools, hammer, saw, drills, etc...and a way to power the drill.

I still don't quite understand your goal here, there are other alternatives available that might better suit your needs, for instance, a small aluminum skiff, etc...if you get big enough truck tires, you could just lash these together with some plywood on top, forget about the frames, etc, etc.

I'm very curious to see what you will end up with and where and how you'll launch it.

Even if you do succeed, what do you plan on doing while on your craft ? Read a book ? contemplate life?..fish ? study zen ??

Seriously, are you having us all on ??
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 18:52   #53

You can often find an old, way beyond servicable date liferaft for practically next to nothing. Chances are it will serve yor needs well enough. At about 60 to 100 lbs it can be flown in as an overweight luggage and wheeled with collapsable dolly to your destination on the water. The raft may even have fishing stuff, flashlights, etc. 8 person raft would be ideal.

As to LEOs harrassing you, you will have a better chance getting their sympathy being in a liferaft than in some wild DIY contraption.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 19:06   #54
Marine Service Provider

I like that idea, the liferaft is certainly a good option. I recently had to give one away, as it was too old to be serviced anymore, but still serviceable and useable for an expedition like this.
A search on the internet is likely to turn up some others. Considering the $$ to purchase all the odds and ends, plus labor and time to construct one's own craft, a liferaft would be the better craft and manageable to launch singlehanded.

The only downfall I see is that being a liferaft, it will most certainly garner attention from the local marine traffic and LEO.
Old 11-12-2021, 19:26   #55

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Personally, I think CF is becoming known on the Internet as a place where you can concoct a goofy post and create all kinds of havoc.

We're used to actually doing things, like sailing. A significant number of the younger generation lives online. Prompting pages and pages of reaction actually becomes an accomplishment in this reality.

Just look at all of the covid threads. CF members keep banging their heads against the wall about anti-vaxxers, wondering how anyone can be that stupid and/or irrational.

We're missing the point. Getting our outraged reaction is the goal. I hope the moderators start deleting goofy threads by new members who only want to get people ranting and raving.

To the OP: Go for it, man. See what happens. Quit talking about it here. You're just BSing people to see what you can stir up.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 19:43   #56
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

Buy this and call it a day.

https://keys.craigslist.org/boa/d/ke...418194851.html
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 19:48   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
crowexplorer, you've certainly attracted a crowd here.

Home Depot sells lumber, but I don't think you'll find inner tubes there. Few cars have inner tubes these days, in fact, I can't think of any, so your only practical option is to find a place that services trucks. Keep in mind, a truck inner tube is generally speaking a pretty large (and heavy) diameter object, and you will require a pump to pump them up. If you find used one's, you'll certainly have to check them for leaks. I'd definitely keep the pump on board with easy access to the tube fill valve. an alternate would be to consider expandable foam, also available at Home Depot. You'd likely need several cartridges, but you could build your craft and then squirt this stuff at the corners, center, etc.

You will really have to find a place to construct this raft..and then get it to the water. Seeing as you are flying into Key West, first thing I'd do, is rent a pickup at the airport, and then you'll have to find a spot to construct it. You could construct it in and over the truck bed and sleep inside the truck while you are doing it, but where to do this is the big question. You will certainly attract LEO both on and off the water. There are some boatyards/marina's in the area, that might....a small might...let you build it on their property.

I'd forget about the 2x4's here. At a minimum, a 2x8..... 2x8 is not a very large piece of lumber either, but for the moment, let's go with that.. I'm not a nautical architect, but am a retired structural marine engineer. I have been in, on and around marine craft of every possible description, plus, I've also built my own boat, a 38' sailboat, so my credentials to comment are based on some logic.

By the time you are done, your raft will have some bulk, ie, it will be quite heavy to maneuver, move, lift, etc. I doubt very much you'll be able to move it to the water singlehanded. Should you build this over the truck bed, I doubt you'll be able to get it off by yourself.

To construct an 8x8 craft, plus plywood deck, deck supports, etc, location for the tubes/foam, and so on, will be quite a feat. You will need additional 2x8's inside your structure to provide support for the decking, keeping in mind you still have to fit the inner tubes/foam in there. You will need a substantial amount of rope, not only for your anchor, but also used as lashings.

Assuming you get this to the water, you will quickly find that your " freeboard" at best, might be 4" or so, that's not much, about the width of the palm of your hand. Even the smallest of wave chop will find it's way aboard. I'd venture to say, you will have a very wet craft in no time.

I'm sure that I can say this with confidence, that the locals will quickly have their eye on you. They will certainly wonder what " that crazy guy is planning on doing", even in Key West, which has a higher proportion than most areas of people that march to their own drummer.

My first bit of advice is to draw up a plan of what you intend to fabricate. This way, you can figure out, how to put it together, it will also enable you to figure out the weight of the lumber. The internet can provide you will all these details. But with a plan in hand, you'll know what you need to buy without additional trips to the store. You'll likely also need tools, hammer, saw, drills, etc...and a way to power the drill.

I still don't quite understand your goal here, there are other alternatives available that might better suit your needs, for instance, a small aluminum skiff, etc...if you get big enough truck tires, you could just lash these together with some plywood on top, forget about the frames, etc, etc.

I'm very curious to see what you will end up with and where and how you'll launch it.

Even if you do succeed, what do you plan on doing while on your craft ? Read a book ? contemplate life?..fish ? study zen ??

Seriously, are you having us all on ??
I'm still in the planning phase here. As far as "inner tubes", I don't necessarily need tire tubes, I could also use "pool toy" types if they seem heavy duty enough to last a few days.

I could order some like this:https://www.amazon.com/ZANGEROI-Floa...277291&sr=8-10

If I do, I may keep it as simple as possible, lash them together as you said and put a board on top.

Sourcing tubes may be a problem. I could bring them with me(they are packed in 11X13X4 inch boxes and weigh 5lbs), but I'd rather not. Perhaps I can have them shipped to a UPS store and pick them up. I would rather just buy my floats locally though.

I'm now considering another option. Use 2" thick 4x8 foam boards from Home Depot. Purchase four of them. Cut them into 1ft X 8ft strips. Stack them to create two 32" tall, 8ft long "pontoons".

http://frugalgrasshopper.com/p_boat_...toon_boat.html

Perhaps something like that. Probably use a stick built frame instead of PVC to keep things simple.

I could assemble the pontoons in the home depot parking lot, bring them, and the wood for the frame and platform and assemble them near the water somewhere. I'll have to take a look, but it looks like there is a strip mall across the road from Home Depot, and behind that strip mall there is a channel that goes out to the bay.

As far as what I'll do on the craft, I pretty much just plan on sleeping there. I'll do the tourist stuff around Key West during the days, camp out on the raft at night.

I will look into your renting a truck suggestion, if it doesn't cost a fortune I may go that route and head north to get away from all the public scrutiny.
Old 12-12-2021, 00:39   #58

Boat: Chapparel Signature 24

Using foam is a bad idea. There are laws against using it in water because any single foam particle in water is considered pollution. Cutting it will create a HUGE mess.
tomcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:57   #59
Marine Service Provider

The used Zodiac is another brilliant idea, you'd spend at least $400 on materials to construct your raft, not to mention time and labor.
I vote for the Zodiac as the best option yet. It would be a simple matter to rig a cover over it, and moving it around, it will be light years simpler than an 8x8 raft. It will likely also be less noticeable to LEO.
It gives you a raft and a " boat" so you can kill two birds with one stone.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:26   #60

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post

Just look at all of the covid threads. CF members keep banging their heads against the wall about anti-vaxxers, wondering how anyone can be that stupid and/or irrational.
Was this necessary Shanachie? Should we all bow down to your superior intelligence and rational thought?

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key west