Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 00:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!
Anchoring Gear for a Catalina 18 Keel boat

I have a Catalina 18 keel boat that weighs 1500 pounds. She is like a mini-Catalina 22. I have never anchored her before and I am looking to buy the requisite equipment to do some overnight water camping or just stop for lunch and swimming. I do not have a windlass or a bow locker. I will be on relatively small mud bottom lakes (500-3000 acres) in the Midwest United States. It’d be rare to anchor in 20 feet of water. Usually the depth would be 10 foot or less. I’d appreciate an experienced set of eyes on my anchoring plan.

9 lbs Galvanized Rocna 4 Anchor
1/4 Inch Grade 70 Galvanized Chain, 20 foot
3/8 Inch Three Strand NylonAnchor line, 150 Foot
TWO 5/16 Inch Galvanized Anchor Shackles to connect anchor to chain and chain to rode
Milk Crate, Bucket, or Spare duffel to hold it all

Does this all looked sized right? Do I need a swivel to connect anchor to chain?

My plan is to connect the bitter end to the port side cleat so I don’t lose anything and after deploying the anchor tie the line to the starboard cleat. The excess will remain in its container

When I use a mooring ball I use two dock lines through the pennant and each back to its own cleat. I know if I had all chain rode I could hook the chain with a bridal. Create a butterfly loop in the rode and run the docklines through it like a bridal? Thoughts?
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 04:39   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Anchoring Gear for a Catalina 18 Keel boat

Hey JMC, I had a Catalina 18 many years ago, it was a great little boat. I have no doubt you will really enjoy yours, they sail very well !

I think your anchor setup is probably more than you need. A Rocna is a great anchor, I had one on my Cape Dory 28, they hold really well. You could probably save some money and just go with a plain old Danforth of similar weight and have all the holding power you need for what you plan to do. In muddy bottom, a Danforth works really well.

The latest thinking on the swivels is to have a few feet of chain attached to the anchor, then a swivel, then the rest of the chain. I don't feel you need another swivel between the chain and rope. You definately have plenty of both chain and rope.

Happy sailing, enjoy that C18.
Old 27-03-2021, 05:54   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I agree with OMM about using a Danforth, or a knockoff, as the anchor. I would probably forgo any swivel unless the winds on your lake swirl so badly they spin you around the anchor. Shackle the chain to the anchor and tie an anchor bend between the chain and nylon.

The rode is very easy to untwist with a setup you describe.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 09:10   #4

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

Thanks for the replies. I thought that what I'm putting together might be more than what I really need.

Any thoughts on how to attach it all to the boat? Is using the port cleat for the bitter end and tying off on the starboard cleat after setting the anchor sufficient?

OldManMirage, did you ever anchor your 18? Did she move around a lot? The lake I'll be on the most has really nice average wind for a sailboat.

I am getting really excited for sailing season to begin.
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 09:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc42 View Post
I am looking to buy the requisite equipment to do some overnight water camping or just stop for lunch and swimming

9 lbs Galvanized Rocna 4 Anchor
1/4 Inch Grade 70 Galvanized Chain, 20 foot
3/8 Inch Three Strand NylonAnchor line, 150 Foot
TWO 5/16 Inch Galvanized Anchor Shackles to connect anchor to chain and chain to rode
Milk Crate, Bucket, or Spare duffel to hold it all

Does this all looked sized right?
We have a 19' trailerable pocket-cruiser (Sandpiper 565) and over the last 14 years we have anchored out overnight at least once a year. And of course, countless lunch/swim anchoring.

For the first few years we used a "Danforth" type (14" flukes"), which was fine in most conditions. Then we bought a cast ~10 lb "Bruce" for the bow, and keep the Danforth in the lazzarette.

The bow anchor has approx 8" of chain, and 150' of nylon rode (can't remember if it's 3/8 or 1/2" rode). We have a nice chainlocker in the front. The Danforth just has nylon rode.

This combo has not failed us yet.

Chart for Danforth anchor sizing.
Chart for Bruce anchor sizing.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 12:38   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc42 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I thought that what I'm putting together might be more than what I really need.

Any thoughts on how to attach it all to the boat? Is using the port cleat for the bitter end and tying off on the starboard cleat after setting the anchor sufficient?

OldManMirage, did you ever anchor your 18? Did she move around a lot? The lake I'll be on the most has really nice average wind for a sailboat.

I am getting really excited for sailing season to begin.
Either one at the bow should be fine. You can always take a turn or two around the other cleat just for peace of mind.

Most of my anchoring has been the St. John's River here in Jacksonville, so there's always been current to deal with, and it will change direction according to the tide. But I have never had a problem dragging anchor. The C18 was the same. Almost all sailboats will "sail" back and forth a little at anchor, but it's never been a problem for me. Keeps the view changing !
Old 28-03-2021, 14:04   #7

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

1/4" grade 70 chain is so overkill! 1/4" Proof coil is more than strong enough for your boat. I used 3/16" PC and an 8-lb Danforth on my Montgomery-17 (similar weight to yours) in much more challenging anchoring situations in the southern California Channel Islands (a very long time ago, when your only choices were CQR, Danforth, Bruce or a fisherman style). I didn't have an anchor locker on the bow, so kept it in a basket kept down below when not in use. In the Channel Islands, you need 2 good anchors/rodes as many of the anchorages require bow-and-stern anchoring. I did end up with lots of chain: 35ft on the bow anchor and 20ft on the stern one due to the generally deep anchorages. I had 200ft of 5/16" nylon on each one, and some times wished I had more. In your situation, 150ft line and ~15ft chain ought to be plenty.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, boat, catalina, gear, keel