Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2023, 09:04   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49
Re: Anchor chain marking and weaving line vs. paint

We use Anchor Rode Markers from WestMarine, I buy 2 sets. I wrap them around a singe piece of chain, put two little holes in them, and zip tie to one side of a link in the chain. They last for years running through the gypsy, although some of the numbers are warn off from the sand. No matter, the first 3 markets are green 30, 60, 90, then yellow 120, 150, , 180, then red 210, 240, 270.

Once in a while we’ll loose one, and I replace from the 2nd set if needed.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:23   #32

Boat: Catana 471

We use 1/4” poly. About a 24” length woven through every link of 3/8” chain. Red at 25, 50, 75, 125, 150, 175ft and yellow/black at 100, 200ft etc.

The poly frays at the ends over time (which actually makes it easier to see in the dark, or if the chain is coated in mud), but we’ve never lost a piece.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:39   #33

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
We have tried a number of making solutions. Paint certainly works, but be prepared to renew it at ever haulout. This really isn't as big a deal as it sounds, since you SHOULD be end-for-ending your chain anyway.

Cable ties work, and with a bit of a tag they are more visible.

But after may different solutions, these are what we have come to:
https://amzn.to/3MSdXyN

Several companies sell these. The most common brand we have seen in the US and Caribbean is Imtra. After installing these, we have stopped looking for alternatives.

We bought a package of green, of yellow and of red. One green = 25 feet, two green = 50 feet, three green = 75 feet. One green and one yellow = 100 feet... I think you can take it from there...
We have used engine block paint. Good for 3 or 4 years.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 10:16   #34

Boat: 1967 Rawson 30

I have tried a number of methods over the years and am a huge fan of sewing colored webbing through the desired link of chain. Cheap, easy both to see and identify, available in primary colors. I'll never do anything else.

Sailing Totem made this post about it, they probably explain it better than I can.

https://www.sailingtotem.com/blog/marking-anchor-chain
j-hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 10:17   #35

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

I am on team paint, and have been using Rustoleum.

The big thing before painting is just getting the chain clean. Bit of time with a scrub brush and a hose, or even better a pressure washer, then let it dry in the sun before painting.

In my boat I have 320' of chain, which I have marked in 40' shots in a 3 color pattern about 16" for each color.

040': 🟥🟥🟥
080': 🟦🟦🟦
120': ⬜🟥⬜
160': ⬜🟦⬜
200': 🟥⬜🟥
240': 🟦⬜🟦
280': 🟥⬜🟦
300': 🟨🟨🟨 <--- AKA You're about do do a dumb!

Right now I do not have a power out feed on my windlass, so the only method is opening the clutch and letting her fly. Thus marking each color about 16" long which makes it very easy to see going overboard.

This system works incredibly well, I have been living at anchor for 4 of the last 7 years since I bought the boat, and the only thing I wish I had was a bit longer chain, so next go around I am going to go with 360' instead of 320'.

This is because currently I am sailing up to Alaska via the Inside passage, and I am finding that the 320' in some of the deeper anchorages is not enough, and my boat riding a touch bow high anyways will be fine with the extra bit of weight.
Old 29-05-2023, 13:25   #36

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I use different color small 4” zip ties in a ROYGBIV pattern. You decide the interval. I use every 20’. They go through the gypsy just fine. I put at least two ties at each point you want marked. If you notice one of the pair is missing - replace it. I’ve never lost both pairs at once. I use just purple for the IV position, and start over then with red. (Newton was a bit of a numerologist, which is why he said there are 7 colors - there are just 6.) If you or your crew is color blind this might not work as well.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 15:59   #37

We painted ours every 30 feet 1st mark was red 2nd white 3rd blue 4th 2 reds, erc worked fine
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 16:01   #38

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

I tried the different color paint technique, but for me it didn’t stick well at all. Came off quickly. The colored zip ties last much longer. But that’s for my situation
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 18:14   #39

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

I painted our chain, it did not last very long. So in a desperate move I tied on small lengths of different colored Paracord before the paint completely faded away. I wove them through some 5/16 chain and tied them on. They are still bright and colorful after 18 months of fulltime cruising. They run through the windless without any problems. No more paint, no more plastic zip ties, no fancy chain markers, just simple cheap Paracord from the hardware store.
Old 30-05-2023, 00:07   #40

Zip ties have always broken on me eventually when going through and leaving plastic around. Paint has always worn off, but I agree you can reapply every haul out. I use Webbing that is slightly wider than the gap in the chain link, weave it for about a foot and one half through every link and it lasts years and years.
t.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 00:33   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

While the weaving through the chain is just fine, you will find that you can simply tie 12”/30cm lengths of cordage (paracord is fine, my UV test in progress shows no trouble after two years) to a link and just let it hang there. It will not interfere with the windlass and it is much more visible than a cord woven into the chains.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 02:13   #42

Boat: Lagoon 400

This question comes every few months.
The answers come in variety, more or less in quantity equal to amount of posters.
So here is my way:
Osculati markers (must be of a proper size for your chain, otherwise will jump out).
I use 1 additional marker for each measure of chain (e.g. 10m or 30feet).
1 marker at 10m, 2 at 20m, 3 at 30m and so on.
We use for this only yellow markers, as these are most easy to see in darkness.
I don't like the changing colours schemas as it is easy to confuse, especially in bad lighting or if you have a friend/guest onboard who tries to remember which is what.
In 12 years of anchoring I think we have lost 2 or 3 markers. Being one colour they are easy to stock and replace.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 05:03   #43

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Osculati markers. One red for every 10m restart with one red at 40m, 70m. One white for every 5m so two red and one white is 25m. I don't think any marker has come off.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 05:19   #44

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
we have had zero luck with these. We've tried several times but they fall off after a few runs through the gypsy

good to see they work for someone
I think the problem is that these are made for 10 mm chain and 3/8" chain is close in size, but only close, so they can come out. We found the odd one came out over time and then you need to interpolate which sort of defeats the purpose.
Old 30-05-2023, 08:43   #45

I gave up marking my chain. I run a track on my NAV software as i anchor, and as soon as we drop the hook and fall back the point of drop is reflected as the endmost part of that track line. And then I run the nav measuring sticks from that furthest forward point back to the boat to tell how much chain is out as I drift back and then back down. My wife has gotten so good at counting the chain slaps that if I tell her 80 feet she’s now usually within two or 3 feet. Using that drop point from the track also lets me do a relative bearing and distance for my anchor alarm, which is a lot more accurate. Once I’m all settled, I mark that spot with a pin on the NAV and stop my track and then use the anchor alarm from there. Also, makes it easier to pick up the anchor in the morning since sometimes it’s hard to see where the admiral is pointing such as if the wind is from the east.
BayCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, paint