Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 07:37   #31

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Anchor Chain Grip alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharney View Post
why use a chainhook at all, just tie rope directly to the chain with a rolling hitch
We use a single line and tie it to the chain or rode with a klemheist knot at the center of the line, bringing each end back to a bow cleat. Very simple, never slips. We only had trouble once when the klemheist knot was initially tied a little loose, and we left too much loose rode flopping around in the water. The rode ended up doing some unnatural acts around the knot, and it took a little longer to untie things than normal.
Fred Taute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16   #32

Boat: Beneteau 473

With the Klemheist hitch do you find it a pain to pass the lengths of the two lines through the loop back to your cleats? How much line do you typically end up with from the hitch to the cleats?

Also, after the third wrap around the chain what would be the proper size for your loop to be?
Thanks...
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:31   #33

Over a thousand dropped hooks with a Prusik that we tie a soft shackle to. Can loop more loops on the Prusik in rougher conditions. Works great on chain. We are a 44' cat and have used this in 40kt winds and up to 2 meter swell it has all held or Rocna tight. Have tried many chain hooks in prior lives, soft shackle is our go-to.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:50   #34

Kong Chaing Gripper looks interesting.

https://www.s3i.co.uk/kong-chain-gripper.php
Koz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
With the Klemheist hitch do you find it a pain to pass the lengths of the two lines through the loop back to your cleats? How much line do you typically end up with from the hitch to the cleats?

Also, after the third wrap around the chain what would be the proper size for your loop to be?
Thanks...
Passing the lines through the loop takes a minute, not difficult. Our setup is a length of about 30' of 1/2" 8-plait which we have marked in the center, and we wrap around our 3/8" chain, or 5/8" 8-plait rode, depending on how much scope we set. We typically allow about a 1.5" diameter loop at the end, after 3 or 4 wraps. After the lines have passed through, the loop deflects back to about level with the beginning of the wraps.
I find it a simpler knot to manage than the prusik, and it is just as secure - the only difference in functionality is that the prusik holds in both directions.
Old 03-05-2019, 17:06   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taute View Post
I find it a simpler knot to manage than the prusik, and it is just as secure - the only difference in functionality is that the prusik holds in both directions.
Using a 9"-12" diameter dyneema loop to make the Prusik offers a simple application to the chain and balanced sides.

Very simple, we often just use a luggage tie with that loop in less requiring times.

Then tie a soft shackle into the remaining loop onto the bridle or snubber.
Old 03-05-2019, 17:11   #37

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
How is soft shackle applied? Are we attaching it to the chain and a deck fitting. Photo anyone. Russ
I wove a yacht thimble onto the end of the snub line, and attach to the chain with the soft shackle. Can't come off, takes 5 seconds to attach, and the soft shackle is the strongest part of the whole setup.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 17:40   #38

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

When on the chain I use a Shockles snubber with a stainless shackle through the 8mm chain attached to a 2 leg 16mm bridle to the bow cleats. In the rare event I end up on the 16mm Octoplait spliced to the 8mm then it is a rolling hitch everytime.

I also tie off my chain to the bow cleat with a short length of climbing rope, using a bowline, just to really take the strain off the windlass.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 18:26   #39

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Here (https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-chain-hook/) is the link to the Mantus site.
Shows multiple chain sizes.
Seems to cover the bases.
Yes, here (https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-chain-hook-landing/) they have the new chain hook.
I personally like the older 1. Less chance of it slipping off.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:32   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Using a 9"-12" diameter dyneema loop to make the Prusik offers a simple application to the chain and balanced sides.

Very simple, we often just use a luggage tie with that loop in less requiring times.

Then tie a soft shackle into the remaining loop onto the bridle or snubber.
Sounds very good, if you could post a pic of the completed setup that would be awesome
Old 05-06-2020, 21:35   #41

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Ted's right, with sufficient scope the pull on your bowsprit roller is more horizontal than down. However, as your boat inevitably veers and is at an angle to the wind, waves or tide, the side loading can do a lot of damage. On my sailing yachts I was always happy with a rolling hitch and a single line back over the bow roller. With our change to a 60ft trawler we've gone to a double bridle with a "Victory Hook" that we run back through the two hawse pipes. This seems to hold our bow much steadier than a single line.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 20:19   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taute View Post
Sounds very good, if you could post a pic of the completed setup that would be awesome
Here’s a pick of the dyneema loop I made. It seems very secure with just the luggage tie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3C37AFE-6E28-4EA9-9A52-86893F67EC71.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	217245  
Old 12-06-2020, 21:14   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Here’s a pick of the dyneema loop I made. It seems very secure with just the luggage tie.
Shouldn't the load be on the bridle with a big loop of unloaded chain? Looks kinda odd to me!

Jim
Old 13-06-2020, 05:52   #44

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Seems the same to me, load should be off the windlass.

We have a LoFrans Tigres windlass and it specifically states in the instructions, do not use the windlass to pull the boat to the anchor and manage the load.

We have a cleat on the top of the windlass and use that with a snubber and if we use our bridle, made like a Mantus bridle, we use our hawse holes and our Samson posts.

I might also add that when necessary we will drop the hook, big box store on the snubber and Mantus hook on the bridle, underwater to get as much parallel pull as possible.

BTW, we are also a trawler.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 08:55   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Shouldn't the load be on the bridle with a big loop of unloaded chain? Looks kinda odd to me!

Jim
Yes of course Jim but I to get the picture I started bring in my chai so I had already retrieved the loop.

Tags
anchor