Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 07:42   #31

Boat: Tayana 52
Re: Zodiac Hypalon - Any good?

Have you considered Highfield? They make a good range of aluminum ribs. We bought a PVC model 7 years ago and still looking good. Florida and Caribbean sun.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:31   #32

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42F Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill whitmore View Post
Avon RIBs last a very long time --I've had mine 26 years and still going
I, in turn, have had bad experiences with two successive Avon RIBs (both hypalon). Seawater would seep into the hollow glassfiibre hull eventually of making them very heavy after a few hours. I needed to drain them practically every time ashore. Five years ago I bought a Highfielfld RIB (Ultralite 290 /9.5 ft), which has an aluminum hull. It weighs in at 39 kg /86 lbs. which allows me to easily lift it onto the foredeck with a spinnaker halyard (in a pinch, my wife and I, both in our 60s, can lift it by hand). This has allowed me to remove the ungainly Simpson davits, which are a nuisance when berthing stern-to, as is frequent in the Med. So far, it has performed brilliantly in every respect. I carry two OBs: a 3.5 hp 4 stroke) for most uses, and an old but trusty 15hp 2 stroke for when we're anchored far from towns or need to carry more than three passengers. It's a bit overpowered with the latter so it planes like a witch. A 9.9 hp (preferably 2 stroke for the weight) would do nicely. As for the sun, I cover the tubes with a tarp when stowed aboard. Chaps, however, would be great. Thinking about them.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:56   #33

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
I, in turn, have had bad experiences with two successive Avon RIBs (both hypalon). Seawater would seep into the hollow glassfiibre hull eventually of making them very heavy after a few hours. I needed to drain them practically every time ashore. Five years ago I bought a Highfielfld RIB (Ultralite 290 /9.5 ft), which has an aluminum hull. It weighs in at 39 kg /86 lbs. which allows me to easily lift it onto the foredeck with a spinnaker halyard (in a pinch, my wife and I, both in our 60s, can lift it by hand). This has allowed me to remove the ungainly Simpson davits, which are a nuisance when berthing stern-to, as is frequent in the Med. So far, it has performed brilliantly in every respect. I carry two OBs: a 3.5 hp 4 stroke) for most uses, and an old but trusty 15hp 2 stroke for when we're anchored far from towns or need to carry more than three passengers. It's a bit overpowered with the latter so it planes like a witch. A 9.9 hp (preferably 2 stroke for the weight) would do nicely. As for the sun, I cover the tubes with a tarp when stowed aboard. Chaps, however, would be great. Thinking about them.
Had the same experience with my two AB hypalon double hull fiberglass RIBs (290/340). Both super heavy to start with when compared to aluminum RIBs. - no way I can lift and flip on my Contest foredeck.

Surprisingly, my older Yamaha 15HP/2 stroke and the brand new Yamaha 8HP/4 stroke weights are almost similar.

Going to purchase this winter an aluminum RIB - Caribe or Highfield. Is your ultralight Highfield with Hypalon or PVC tubes?
Old 07-09-2020, 13:15   #34

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Hi
I have a Hypalon AVON now in its mid 30s, the bloody name plates have fallen off this wee! and 2 years ago I had to replace the carrying ropes.
I did have a Honwave but two of us had to carry it up a sandy beach on an incoming tide. Sold it the next weekend! Just too heavy.
If I had too I would rather buy another second hand AVON than anything else.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:53   #35

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42F Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Had the same experience with my two AB hypalon double hull fiberglass RIBs (290/340). Both super heavy to start with when compared to aluminum RIBs. - no way I can lift and flip on my Contest foredeck.

Surprisingly, my older Yamaha 15HP/2 stroke and the brand new Yamaha 8HP/4 stroke weights are almost similar.

Going to purchase this winter an aluminum RIB - Caribe or Highfield. Is your ultralight Highfield with Hypalon or PVC tubes?
PVC. It's available in Hypalon as well.
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 20:21   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

No one has mentioned Brig dinghies. We have had a 9.5’ PVC Brig RIB in Florida & Bahamas over past 4 years. It is well designed & well built. We didn’t get chaps but have a tailored cover that we keep on the dinghy when not in use. PVC appears to be holding up fine at this point. The cover keeps the dinghy clean and protects from UV. My one complaint, the boat is a bit heavy at 120#.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac