Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2022, 02:27   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Torqeedo v ePropulsion

Any views on this?

It used to be that the eProp had an advantage with direct drive, but I think all the Torqs are direct drive now.

Anything else to choose between them? Quality?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 05:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Torqeedo v ePropulsion

I got the eProp for the better torque and battery life. Price was comparable. eProp has a floating battery case (which I have not tried out) and seems to have fewer metal parts which is better for rust. Only issue we've had in a couple years was dealership availability. We have not had to have it serviced (+1 over petrol!), but I'm concerned if any of our original chargers etc. need replacement as there are few options and no competition in their dealer network.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 05:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Any views on this?

It used to be that the eProp had an advantage with direct drive, but I think all the Torqs are direct drive now.

big dilemma Germany company made product vs chinese company.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 05:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
big dilemma Germany company made product vs chinese company.

ePropsulsion is a Hong Kong company founded by four engineering graduates of HKUST, a world class engineering school.

I would not assume that this guarantees that the quality of eProp is worse than Torq. Chinese are now making some awfully high quality stuff in this space. Best drones in the world for sure, for example.

If there is some concrete factual information about a difference in quality, that's a different matter. And that's actually what I'm looking for.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 08:24   #5

Boat: Southern cross 35

The battery arrangement on the torqeedo is rather awkward. Also the power cable has no key and rather fine pins. I could see these easily being bent.

Otherwise works great.
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2022, 07:11   #6

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Any views on this?

Am I right in noting that eProp has the feature of hydrogeneration, so recharges the battery if the motor is on the dinghy when its being towed. It also has the option to buy a dedicated solar charger

I am not sure Torquedo has these features

Happy to be corrected

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:42   #7

Boat: Southern cross 35

I own the torqeedo and the plugs really suck. Eprops one cable is much more robust. Also the torq battery retention pin is easy to loose. Not sure why both design have battery hanging off the back be nicer if it was on the front.
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:47   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudorsailor View Post
Am I right in noting that eProp has the feature of hydrogeneration, so recharges the battery if the motor is on the dinghy when its being towed. It also has the option to buy a dedicated solar charger

I am not sure Torquedo has these features

Happy to be corrected

TS
Not all eProp models support hydrogeneration and it is only supported if you use their batteries. Not sure if it is going to be very useful towing a dinghy.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:57   #9

I have now had.both the Torqeedo 1003 Travel and Epropulsion Spirit Plus in the field as my primary outboard on an inflatable tender.

I would not recommend either in a marine environment. Both have failed way too quickly in my opinion.

The Torqeedo connectors are temperamental and weak. Two is unnecessary, but if kept covered and lubricated at least they work. The split pin corrodes very quickly when exposed to salt water and needs changing frequently. It is not practicable to rinse in fresh after each use when it is hanging of the back of a larger boat.

The Epropulsions connectors feel so much better but they are actually very fragile. Firstly, there are 8 pins, 4 of which are tiny and corrode if exposed to salt water. Secondly, the connector is dependent on an O ring. If the O ring drops off the connector can move and the small pins can shear off.

So I would not get either. The Haswing 3.0 looks interesting as there is no connecting plug. The battery, drive etc is all proven now and anyone can do it. It is cheaper, lighter and has no connections to corrode or have to fiddle with whilst leaning over davits.

The other one that is really nice but expensive is the Remigo. But you get what you pay for. It is a shame about the range of it but the reliability and usability is great.

Good though the marketing is of Torqeedo and Epropulsion, they are both now focussed on bigger units and I do not see them investing in a redesign of their outboards.
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 18:35   #10

Boat: Noelex 25

There is also the THRUSTME Kicker, looks interesting.
neilmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 13:59   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Our ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 died recently due to the connection problem described by Naughty Cat above. The connecting locking ring stripped so the connection moved as you traveled, allowing water ingress and arcing. Finally overheated and burned connection. Returning to original vendor who may be able to replace, off warranty.

I love the motor for lightness, ecologically friendly and slow speed maneuvering. Wife cannot start large gas motor and neither of us can lift one. Most of our dinghy use is around harbors, so speed and planning are not used. I just wish the electric motors were more dependable and robust.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion